Throttle grip free play adjustment.

Hi.

I having problems adjusting the free play on the throttle grip.

The bike has only run 8000km, and cables is routed the right way. 

In neutral and right steering position there is too much freeplay around 1cm, and if I turn to the left, I have almost zero free play.

If I tighten the cable so it is OK (2mm) in neutral and right steering position, it is too tight in left steering position, causing the throttle grip to lock (not able auto roll back)

Hope some one can help.

any ideas?

Have you double and triple checked the routing of the whole cable? 

Correctly lubed? (if required - don't actually know if our throttle cables need lube or are teflon coated)

Are you the first owner or has it been subjected to some poor maintenance work by a previous owner? 

1 minute ago, cjb1019 said:

Have you double and triple checked the routing of the whole cable? 

Correctly lubed? (if required - don't actually know if our throttle cables need lube or are teflon coated)

Are you the first owner or has it been subjected to some poor maintenance work by a previous owner? 

I have not checked the routing of the whole cable, only on the steering end, where it is just right. only 8000km it should not need lube I think.

No the previous owner is Honda, so I guess it is maintained as it should. Again I don't think there should be any maintenance on a 8000km cable.

Anyway there is difference (I think it is too big) in the free play in left and right steering position, but maybe this is normal? How is it on your bike?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, jangermann said:

Hi.

I having problems adjusting the free play on the throttle grip.

The bike has only run 8000km, and cables is routed the right way. 

In neutral and right steering position there is too much freeplay around 1cm, and if I turn to the left, I have almost zero free play.

If I tighten the cable so it is OK (2mm) in neutral and right steering position, it is too tight in left steering position, causing the throttle grip to lock (not able auto roll back)

Hope some one can help.

any ideas?

Very interesting I have a similar situation. I have done 44,000km now. I do remember a long time ago when I minimised the throttle slack I had to set it a full left lock for minimal slack, then from centre to full right I ended up with approx 4 to 5mm which I am happy with. However I have never had the throttle cable lock up in the full left position as you have stated. Important to note that from full left to full right there is no effect on idle rpm. Service manual states - Throttle Freeplay = 2 to 6mm.

Mine is exactly the same -- zero free play at left lock, about 4mm at right. It feels OK riding, but I don't think I've ever had it on full left lock except at standstill (since we drive on the left, all my U-turns are to the right).

Incidentally, how do you adjust free play? it doesn't have the same nut on the cable as my previous bike, and the owner's manual doesn't give any instructions.

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, HareBrain said:

Incidentally, how do you adjust free play? it doesn't have the same nut on the cable as my previous bike, and the owner's manual doesn't give any instructions.

Have a look at the upper cable near the Throttle grip, it has a lock nut and the adjusting nut. Download the 8th gen service manual (home page - top downloads VFR800F 2015), it has the full adjusting details in that.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Grum said:

Have a look at the upper cable near the Throttle grip, it has a lock nut and the adjusting nut.

Ah, right, cheers. When I had a quick look before, I assumed the throttle cable was the one that comes out of the bottom of the twist-grip itself, but that's a hydraulic line. (So what is that?)

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, HareBrain said:

Ah, right, cheers. When I had a quick look before, I assumed the throttle cable was the one that comes out of the bottom of the twist-grip itself, but that's a hydraulic line. (So what is that?)

No mate its not a hydraulic line. The throttle is a double acting cable so there is two cables coming off your throttle grip, only the upper has the free play adjustment on it. Did you download the Srevice Manual?

Cheers.

3 hours ago, Grum said:

Did you download the Srevice Manual?

Do I look like someone who doesn't need to be told to do everything twice? :tongue:

OK, so I have now, and in the photo at the top right of maintenance page 3-5, which shows the free-play adjustment lock-nut, there's a line coming down from the inboard end of the twist-grip, under the brake lever, then curving sharply up to the right. That's what I first thought was the throttle cable (rather stupidly, since it moves with the grip). But what is it?

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, HareBrain said:

Do I look like someone who doesn't need to be told to do everything twice? :tongue:

OK, so I have now, and in the photo at the top right of maintenance page 3-5, which shows the free-play adjustment lock-nut, there's a line coming down from the inboard end of the twist-grip, under the brake lever, then curving sharply up to the right. That's what I first thought was the throttle cable (rather stupidly, since it moves with the grip). But what is it?

If it moves with the grip it's the power cable for your heated grips.!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Grum said:

If it moves with the grip it's the power cable for your heated grips

Oh, that'll be why there's one on the left grip too. Guess I should have checked that first. I think I might have to delete this account out of embarrassment and start again.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, HareBrain said:

Oh, that'll be why there's one on the left grip too. Guess I should have checked that first. I think I might have to delete this account out of embarrassment and start again.

Thanks!

Funny, I thought your next question might have been, What does the big silver handle just within reach of the throttle do? LOL:comp13:

Cheers.

On 7/18/2017 at 2:54 AM, fink said:

The free play should remain the same regardless of the position of the bars.   It would be advisable to check the connections on the butterflies.

Vfr800Fe Throttle Cables.pdf

Uh...  no...?  As you turn left you are stretching the cable, and as you turn right, you are compressing. One full lock WILL have more free play than the other. 

That's why you're supposed to cheek st both extremes... If it's a small adjustment, you can use the lock nut tensioner in-line on the throttle cable. If that gets too sloppy on return, then you have to lift the tank and adjust at the throttle bodies, as previously said. 

On 7/18/2017 at 4:54 AM, fink said:

The free play should remain the same regardless of the position of the bars.  

Fink ? is correct.

Rsparky  ? is wrong.

10 hours ago, Rsparky said:

One full lock WILL have more free play than the other. 

Throttle cables are a wire contained within spiral outer shield.   The wire moves independently within the spiral outer shield.   The wire transfers movement of the throttle grip to the cam of the throttle body butterflies.

A properly set up throttle cable system will have identical free play regardless of handle bar position.   To achieve this, the spiral outer shield must be solidly mounted on each end of the cable run.   This sets the total cable length.   Because this outer spiral shield is neither compressible or stretchable, the total cable length will not change with movement of the mounted ends in relation to each other.   The inner wire moves independently of the outer shield in the axial direction, however because of minimal clearances it can not move independently radially. 

What this means is that the spiral shield sets the total system length.   Because the inner wire has no choice but to follow this same path, the distance between the two end points can not change due to "bowing", "twisting" or "kinking".    The system length is constant regardless of the relative position of the terminal ends.

Throttle free play should remain constant in a properly installed system.

To the original poster, I would suggest checking the terminal mounting points of the spiral outer shield to ensure they are solidly mounted and can not move in their mounts.

Lol, ok in an ideal world you're right. But on a real motorcycle, you can tighten your little adjuster enough to see that TURNING THE BARS DOES AFFECT CABLE TENSION. 

And if you tell people on the internet that it doesn't, you're setting them up to wreck. 

Don't do that. 

"Throttle free play should remain constant" But it doesn't. 

I would suggest that some riders would be better off hiring a competent mechanic than doing their own maintenance.  If your throttle changes or binds because you are steering your motorcycle, you need to take your motorcycle to a professional for your own safety.

In a properly adjusted system there will be no change in cable free play bar-stop-to-bar-stop.   Again to the original poster, I would suggest checking the terminal mounting points of the spiral outer shield to ensure they are solidly mounted and can not move in their mounts.

• Member Contributer
On 22/07/2017 at 5:18 PM, Rectaltronics said:

Cables must work differently in Scotland and Kansas...

:lobby:

And your point is?   We are both saying the same thing. 

Archived