2015 vfr800 deluxe red, good price?

Gobux

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Tews19 said:

Can someone please take a pic of where I adjust the idle? 

Im pretty sure its in your owners manual

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, fink said:

Im pretty sure its in your owners manual

Sorry Fink, we've been through all this before it's not in the owners manual (32MJM603). As well, there is the Bullsh@t on page 130 Specifications, stating the "Idle Speed is non adjustable"!!!!!!

It is however noted in the Service Manual.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, Grum said:

Sorry Fink, we've been through all this before it's not in the owners manual (32MJM603). As well, there is the Bullsh@t on page 130 Specifications, that the Idle Speed is non adjustable!!!!!!

Cheers.

Well shoot me down.  Would have checked mesel if id been at home and able to confirm, unfortunately I'm at work.   Thank you for correcting the error of my ways.  :-)

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, fink said:

Well shoot me down.  Would have checked mesel if id been at home and able to confirm, unfortunately I'm at work.   Thank you for correcting the error of my ways.  :-)

No worries mate, don't work too hard.

Cheers.

Grum

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Grum said:

Sorry Fink, we've been through all this before it's not in the owners manual (32MJM603). As well, there is the Bullsh@t on page 130 Specifications, stating the "Idle Speed is non adjustable"!!!!!!

It is however noted in the Service Manual.

Cheers.

That's funny!  I don't have the BS in my manual about it not being adjustable.  It just lists the idle speed on p. 142 in the specs.  My manual is probably an earlier version though as it says 31MJM601 on the back.

• Member Contributer
49 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

That's funny!  I don't have the BS in my manual about it not being adjustable.  It just lists the idle speed on p. 142 in the specs.  My manual is probably an earlier version though as it says 31MJM601 on the back.

Hi Gator.

Sounds like you do have an earlier version of the owners manual. Below is a response I received from Honda back in October 2014 as to why it was removed from the owners manual, when I suggested they had made a typo error in stating that the idle was "Non Adjustable" and that it was most certainly adjustable just the same as the previous gen VFR. Interesting that it is clearly FALSE information to state that it's "not adjustable".

"Please also note that we have had confirmation back from Japan regarding the adjustment of the idle speed.  Honda advised that many customers were using the manual adjustment incorrectly which led to customers having to return to Honda Dealers to rectify the resulting issues.  As such Japan decided to remove the instructions so that any Idle Adjustments are only carried out by technically qualified staff."

• Member Contributer

So, it takes a "technically qualified staff" to turn a knob while watching a tachometer needle?  Astounding.  But, maybe they do run across that many dis-functional people.....riding motorcycles.....very scary.

• Member Contributer

I just read the Service Manual and on page 3-12 and I finally figured out that I have indeed been incorrectly using the manual idle adjustment...

Remove the left under cowl (page 2-4).

Start the engine, warm it up to normal operating
temperature, and let it idle.

Turn the throttle stop screw [1] as required to obtain the
specified idle speed.

IDLE SPEED: 1,200 +/- 100 rpm

Install the left under cowl (page 2-4).

ALL THIS TIME, I HAVEN'T BEEN REMOVING THE LEFT UNDER COWL!!!

{slaps forehead}

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Gator.

Sounds like you do have an earlier version of the owners manual. Below is a response I received from Honda back in October 2014 as to why it was removed from the owners manual, when I suggested they had made a typo error in stating that the idle was "Non Adjustable" and that it was most certainly adjustable just the same as the previous gen VFR. Interesting that it is clearly FALSE information to state that it's "not adjustable".

"Please also note that we have had confirmation back from Japan regarding the adjustment of the idle speed.  Honda advised that many customers were using the manual adjustment incorrectly which led to customers having to return to Honda Dealers to rectify the resulting issues.  As such Japan decided to remove the instructions so that any Idle Adjustments are only carried out by technically qualified staff."

Sounds like they're blaming bad factory prep for people mis-setting their idle. Mine was at 1500, not real off, but some report 3000 rpm idles. Crazy.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Rectaltronics said:

I just read the Service Manual and on page 3-12 and I finally figured out that I have indeed been incorrectly using the manual idle adjustment...

ALL THIS TIME, I HAVEN'T BEEN REMOVING THE LEFT UNDER COWL!!!

{slaps forehead}

LOL - clearly you're not "technically qualified" to perform this sort of delicate operation :tongue:

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

LOL - clearly you're not "technically qualified" to perform this sort of delicate operation :tongue:

I'm shocked that Honda doesn't require a special tool (or set of tools) and a factory mechanic certification course for this.

So people were adjusting their idle improperly and couldn't figure out why their idle was off? Are we really that stupid now?

At least there's a remote adjuster now. I used to use a screwdriver to reach in to the middle of the carbs from one side of the bike or the other to adjust it up or down.

Greg, it's not enough to make a difference. You'll still be doing about 7 MPH at idle speed with the clutch engaged. It just increases it enough to maybe not stall, but it'll still drop down to your idle speed. I'll sometimes ride the brake in traffic backups to keep it at 4-5 MPH if I need to, but that's about as slow as you'll go without stalling with the clutch fully engaged. I guess you could put a giant rear sprocket on for the parade, that would slow your actual speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
On 8/6/2017 at 3:18 PM, jhenley17 said:

So people were adjusting their idle improperly and couldn't figure out why their idle was off? Are we really that stupid now?

At least there's a remote adjuster now. I used to use a screwdriver to reach in to the middle of the carbs from one side of the bike or the other to adjust it up or down.

Greg, it's not enough to make a difference. You'll still be doing about 7 MPH at idle speed with the clutch engaged. It just increases it enough to maybe not stall, but it'll still drop down to your idle speed. I'll sometimes ride the brake in traffic backups to keep it at 4-5 MPH if I need to, but that's about as slow as you'll go without stalling with the clutch fully engaged. I guess you could put a giant rear sprocket on for the parade, that would slow your actual speed.

It's really a moot point with GG since he zooms directly up to 100mph and stays there as long as possible as a matter of riding habit.  We have the proof on video.....  Of course the rest of us abide by the speed limit at all times......; )  

Still say your world would change on Wolf Pen Gap, The Dragon, Hwy. 28, or the east end of Warwoman Rd., Blood Mtn. and the list goes on.  Nothing against Fla. at all.  The Mouse resides there.....LOL!

I rode Three Sisters while in Austin for the races. I've been on the track and it was still a humbling experience, but I can't wait until I head out there again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2017 at 3:05 AM, Whipped99 said:

Hello, new member here waiting on my VFR to arrive.

I found a new in crate '14 VFR 800 Deluxe in red for $6500 +$150 doc fees OTD from a dealership in the Denver CO area. They also threw in the $300 Honda bucks into the deal which helped offset the shipping cost. The bike should be here soon at my door, I'm getting pretty damn anxious.

There are more deals to be had there on both standard and deluxe models.

There are about 10 Honda dealers in the Denver area.  Would you mind sharing the name of yours?  I'd love to get into a new '14 Deluxe at that price.  Thanks.

Archived