Chain adjuster stuck... but only in one direction...

So I tried to adjust the chain on my newly acquired 2004 6th Gen VFR.

I loosened the pinch bolt (eventually as VERY stiff) and attached my C spanner from the toolkit and went clockwise. It moved easily, unfortunately this loosened the chain so I re-attached the C spanner and I couldn't turn it back in an anti-clockwise direction and C spanner kept slipping under the pressure.

I've read a lot of topics on this which seem to suggest taking while hub apart, but that's when it is completely seized, where as mine did move clockwise relatively easy.

Any suggestions please, to prevent an unwanted trip to a mechanic?!

Thanks all!

• Member Contributer

If you have backed the pinch-bolt off fully, you could insert a pry bar into the swing-arm gap and give it a wee tweak to loosen the grip on the adjuster. I would also try using  a punch gently on the adjuster as short sharp taps might move it more easily than the steady torque that the adjuster can exert. If it moved in one direction, there is nothing to stop it going the other way except the increasing chain tension. 

• Member Contributer

Maybe time for a bit of lubrication? Never had a issue with either of mine.

• Member Contributer

Grit picked up from the road can enter the swing arm (through the holes at the front, I'd guess) and get wedged between the eccentric hub and the inside of the swing arm.  The gravel could be only on one side, thus, only impeding one direction of movement.  Let's see if the gallery function works...

post-362-0-27266300-1341734260.jpg

Yup, it does!  This is a 3rd gen swing arm, but I think the others are similar.  (It's also from a 60,000mi bike, which accounts for the amount of detritus...)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I've found that the c-spanner can get snagged, especially when positioned underneath the hub, ie. to rotate ccw.

Get your head down so you can see how it is seated on the hub.

• Member Contributer
On 7/17/2017 at 1:51 PM, JZH said:

Grit picked up from the road can enter the swing arm (through the holes at the front, I'd guess) and get wedged between the eccentric hub and the inside of the swing arm.  The gravel could be only on one side, thus, only impeding one direction of movement.  Let's see if the gallery function works...

post-362-0-27266300-1341734260.jpg

Yup, it does!  This is a 3rd gen swing arm, but I think the others are similar.  (It's also from a 60,000mi bike, which accounts for the amount of detritus...)

Ciao,

True... this is my experience as well... rock the cassette back and forth and blow air into the hole to dislodge the foreign objects...

Archived