Can you I.D. these bar risers? Mounting procedure?

I recently acquired a '97 VFR and when removing the forks for rebuild I found these 3/4" bar risers installed beneath the clipons. The issue is that to fit it all back in place (keeping the clipons flush with the fork tube top) they were installed with the fork tubes raised in the triple clamp by 14mm. I can't believe this was intended by the maker of the risers, so I'm wondering if anyone knows how these were intended to be installed. I know that similar GenMar risers say to install with the fork tubes recessed into the clipons (GenMar doesn't list risers for the '97). I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I really don't want to raise my forks either.

Any thoughts?

JOE in IL

joe.nelson@ymail.com

IMG_3427.JPG

• Member Contributer

I believe the OEM orientation is not actually flush with the tops of the clip-ons, but 6-7mm proud thereof.  So if you fit these risers and do nothing else, the fork tops will be--as you said--recessed.  I never liked that because there's only one bolt holding each OEM clip-on to begin with, and installing them that way means only half of the clamping surface is even around the fork tube.  

These bikes can often be lowered in the front by 10mm with no adverse effect, so you could do that to get a little of the clamping surface back if you wanted to.  Lowering 14mm might be pushing it, though.  

These risers look well made, but I don't recognise them.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

John is correct, Honda VFRs oe handlebars sit flush with the top plate so that the fork tube protrudes above them. Note the groove near the top of the fork tube: a thin c-clip is fitted by Honda to prevent the 'bars from lifting off the fork.

Btw, the non-VTec VFR800 handlebars are about 5/8" taller than those on '90-'97 models, and as important they fit 41mm fork tubes. (the VTec went with 43mm units)

VFR750_handlebars.jpg

• Member Contributer

If those aren't GenMar risers then they may be a knock off set made by someone from the "big list" years ago. They were well made and they helped a bit, but the 4th gen just doesn't allow for raising the clipons much without interference with the fairing. My records don't say when I installed and removed them, but I'm guessing that it was probably around 2004 to 2007.

I had my forks raised 5mm from 39mm (stock setting) to 44mm above the top of the triple clamp then, and still do. Quickens the steering without instability. 14mm might be a bit much though unless you are reducing the rear height to compensate.

As I recall, the Gen Mars used to come with a cover plate so you couldn't see that the clipons didn't sit fully on the forks. There was much discussion then about whether this was good or bad.

So I mounted them up thus:

I raised the forks 4mm in the triple clamp, which netted a 10mm recess, which gives me a clamping area of 23mm on the clipon. I can live with that. I'll recheck the mounting bolt torque occasionally and worry about something else....

JOE in IL

V4 Dreams (.com)

IMG_3445.JPG

Archived