Exhaust Header Gaskets

Lannyl81

• Member Contributer

On my '97 I decided to replace the six exhaust gaskets; one at each cylinder and then two at the rear joint.

The question I have is regarding these new gaskets; they are a ring, not flat like the old ones...so I was wondering if these need to be flattened prior to installation?  The gaskets seem to be rather hard and I really doubt that they will flatten when the collars on the exhaust tubes are tightened....seems like it would require quite a bit of pressure which would just break the studs in the cylinders.

If my blasted cell phone would connect to my computer I could post pictures of the new vrs old gaskets, but it will not.

Going to be putting bike back together on Sun (7/16).

• Member Contributer

Yep agree that is how the gaskets seal and I had looked-up and found the torque for the collar nuts...which still seems like it is not going to flatten these gaskets and seal.

Will find out tomorrow though.  I will put all back together and fire engine up and see if the popping is gone.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

The exhaust gaskets all crushed-down just fine.  I did put some high-temp sealant on one side of the gaskets in order to keep it in place so I could bolt the exhaust tubes on.   Have everything back together ready to start the engine, but need to allow the sealant to cure for 24 hours....so no riding today.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

exhaust.jpg.673682822b281f899181256a7d4187e4.jpg

gasket.jpg.9001180930130d6f6af558aff6d9e512.jpg

I am re-installing the front header pipes. There are two gaskets, numbered '2' in the schematic. A couple questions:

1. What is the best way to secure these during install?

2. What are they made of?

Lannyl81 mentions securing the gaskets with a high-temp sealant and then waiting for it to cure. Is that the way to go? Is Permatex RTV the correct product? I didn't see evidence of any adhesive when I pulled the old gaskets off the exhaust port. They just flicked right out.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, RobF said:

exhaust.jpg.673682822b281f899181256a7d4187e4.jpg

gasket.jpg.9001180930130d6f6af558aff6d9e512.jpg

I am re-installing the front header pipes. There are two gaskets, numbered '2' in the schematic. A couple questions:

1. What is the best way to secure these during install?

2. What are they made of?

Lannyl81 mentions securing the gaskets with a high-temp sealant and then waiting for it to cure. Is that the way to go? Is Permatex RTV the correct product? I didn't see evidence of any adhesive when I pulled the old gaskets off the exhaust port. They just flicked right out.

I believe the manual says to use grease. At least that's what I recall and ended up using.

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

I believe the manual says to use grease. At least that's what I recall and ended up using.

Thanks, Duc. I double-checked the service manual and didn't see guidance on this. Maybe I missed it. I'll try the grease. 

• Member Contributer

I used a high temp silicone grease to hold the gaskets in place, think it was rated up to 3000F

• Member Contributer

A little dab of grease.  It burns away, unlike silicone!

(Probably wouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't want to have to clean it out next time.)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 9/10/2017 at 10:40 AM, Duc2V4 said:

On 9/10/2017 at 2:59 PM, Mikey said:

I used a high temp silicone grease to hold the gaskets in place, think it was rated up to 3000F

On 9/11/2017 at 2:27 PM, JZH said:

A little dab of grease.  It burns away, unlike silicone!

(Probably wouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't want to have to clean it out next time.)

Ciao,

I can say that coating the engine-side of the gaskets with a bit of grease worked like a charm. The gaskets held in place even through the pushing and nudging it takes to get the exhaust assembly in place. Thank you, gentlemen.

Archived