Squeezed out of lane twice in 3 minutes

GatorGreg

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, 3dcycle said:

...the greatest risk to you was another racer rear ending you when you slowed for a ramp. 

...The more you increase your speed the more you risk injury.

...I totaled my bike while living on Orlando doing the same shit you are doing just s tad faster.

ANOTHER racer?  That would imply that you think I was racing - LOL.  I was merely having fun on my VFR speeding around the Disney area exploring the nice roads they have.  I was not racing against a clock, myself, or anyone else.  The bike is obviously capable of far greater speed and lean angles if I wanted to race it.  At this stage of my life however I have folks who depend on me so I try to always ride well within the limits of both my bike and my own skills.

Increasing speed means more risk of injury?  Thank you Captain Obvious :tongue:

Doing the same shit?  I'm sorry to hear about your wreck but I'm not doing "shit" as you put it.  In fact my riding videos are extremely tame - you do not see me going 180mph, riding in large packs, doing wheelies, stoppies, drifties, drag racing, or even lane splitting or peg scraping!  My riding and videos are so boring you could probably use them to help you fall asleep :tongue:.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

No squeezing noticed by me, just moving over to a land he needed to be in. Yes the crv moved over  but you weren't squeezed.  It was fairly obvious it was going to move over. 

Ill try n put up a vid of a squeeze when I get home next week. 

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, FJ12Ryder said:

The truck had his turn signal on indicating he was going to change lanes, you come up really fast on the right. If you had been aware of your surroundings you would have seen the turn signals and not been surprised when he moved over. 

So I rewatched the vid on my computer monitor and I saw NO SIGNAL from the truck until AFTER he had already started changing lanes - the truck's right side wheels are ALREADY on the dividing line and infringing into my lane when the first turn signal appears!   So he was ALREADY moving over when he first signaled.   I'm sorry guys, but IMO that is BAD driving especially for a professional driver of a huge rig.  Yes, I shouldn't have been speeding, but he should have activated his signal MUCH earlier and BEFORE he actually started to change lanes.  Even if he had signaled earlier he should have waited until AFTER an obviously much faster approaching vehicle had finished passing him in the merge lane to his right.  The bottom line is I don't think he saw me so I'm not really mad at him, but if he did see me it was a dick move on his part.

FWIW, the YouTube community seems to side with my perspective.  So far the comments to the vid say things like "good evasive maneuvering" and "perfect reaction" with 7 thumbs up and 0 down.   Later tonight I'll play the vid on my big screen in slow motion and freeze frame it like the Zapruder film to see if I can see any signs of an earlier turn signal :tongue:

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, fink said:

No squeezing noticed by me, just moving over to a land he needed to be in. Yes the crv moved over  but you weren't squeezed.  It was fairly obvious it was going to move over. 

Ill try n put up a vid of a squeeze when I get home next week. 

So cagers can just maneuver as they please with either no signal whatsoever (CR-V) or wait to signal until AFTER they've started changing lanes (truck) with no regard to rapidly approaching motorcycles as long as they think their intentions are "fairly obvious"?  Is this the new standard you want cagers to abide by?  I disagree that it was "fairly obvious" the truck would decide to change lanes.  I agree the first lane change by the CR-V to the left was "fairly obvious" but I disagree as to the CR-V's second lane change to the left.  The CR-V's lane was not ending or being forced to merge left, it was entirely a discretionary decision on the CR-V's part to change lanes to the left.  Again, I'm not "butt hurt" at the CR-V or the truck because I don't think they ever saw me.  I always assume I'm invisible anyways (hence my quick evasive action) and that's why I posted this vid to help remind everyone to do the same.  But I do wish cagers would at least make an effort to check for motorcycles before they decide to change lanes.

• Member Contributer

I went back and watched it again, and my thought is that he was coming over and then saw this vehicle coming up really fast, so he flipped on his signal to alert the aforesaid vehicle of his intentions to change lanes. Granted he didn't signal before moving, but he also didn't just swerve over either. Nobody drives perfectly all the time, but he wasn't guilty of seriously bad driving, anymore than you were for running way over the limit. I didn't see any real danger at any point. JMO of course.

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

So cagers can just maneuver as they please with either no signal whatsoever (CR-V) or wait to signal until AFTER they've started changing lanes (truck) with no regard to rapidly approaching motorcycles as long as they think their intentions are "fairly obvious"?  Is this the new standard you want cagers to abide by? I agree the first lane change by the CR-V to the left was "fairly obvious" but I disagree as to the CR-V's second lane change to the left.  The CR-V's lane was not ending or being forced to merge left, it was entirely a discretionary decision on the CR-V's part to change lanes to the left.  Again, I'm not "butt hurt" at the CR-V or the truck because I don't think they ever saw me.  I always assume I'm invisible (hence my quick evasive action) and that's why I posted this vid to help remind everyone to do the same, but I do wish cagers would make an effort to check for motorcycles before they decide to change lanes.

Why so defensive?   How long have you been riding bikes?  From your comment it's seems not long at all.  I do however agree with checking mirrors/ shoulder check.

Think you need need to learn that once drivers are shut away in their air conditioned cocoon ,with the tunes on ( even worse now ear buds) most of them become totally oblivious to what is going on about them and are focused on their own private missions not on what is going on around them.    Try riding along side level with a driver and see if they turn and look at you ( on the other hand maybe not such a good idea in your country , you may get shot at).     

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I figure the CR-V changed lanes twice because both lanes he moved from plainly said "Exit Only", and he may not travel that hiway often enough to know he had lots of time before he had to move over. I usually make sure I get out of the "Exit Only" lanes as quickly as I can.

Yes, he didn't signal, and you are surprised at that? You have every right to expect it, but just don't be too surprised when it doesn't happen, and be prepared for it. Expecting turn signals is like turning left in front of a car with his turn signal on, just not a good idea.

I really didn't think you did any seriously evasive maneuvers, just normal everyday avoidance driving. I pay little attention to YouTube comments, okay let me amend that, I don't read YouTube comments. I tried it once and the overwhelming number of illiterate morons killed that notion in a hurry.

But apart from the occasional left lane squatting, I don't think you did anything wrong or showed any sign of bad driving. You did fine IMO.

The problem is you're Mickey Mousing around with the camera when you should be riding. :tongue:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Yeah, I figure the CR-V changed lanes twice because both lanes he moved from plainly said "Exit Only", and he may not travel that hiway often enough to know he had lots of time before he had to move over. I usually make sure I get out of the "Exit Only" lanes as quickly as I can.

Yes, he didn't signal, and you are surprised at that? You have every right to expect it, but just don't be too surprised when it doesn't happen, and be prepared for it. Expecting turn signals is like turning left in front of a car with his turn signal on, just not a good idea.

LOL - you JUST got done telling me above that I should have "not been surprised" at the truck changing lanes because if I "had been aware of my surroundings I would have seen the turn signals".  And NOW you're telling me that I should not be "too surprised when it [signaling] doesn't happen" :tongue:   I do hope you see the humor in that?  I feel like I'm playing a game of "heads you win, tails I lose" with you.

Seriously though, I'd like to thank you for having just helped me reinforce the whole point of my posting this vid.  When I say we are invisible it includes:  DON'T expect people to signal, DON'T BE SURPRISED when they don't signal, and DONT BE SURPRISED when they try to run your ass over :tongue:  Again, that is the purpose of the video - not to argue over whether or not I should feel "butt hurt" :tongue:

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, Rectaltronics said:

Ya' know, I should start posting clips from my daily commutes.  You flatlanders would crap your pants...

Did you get your VFR fixed already Rectal or do you have another bike to ride?  I would actually enjoy seeing someone else motovlog on their 8th gen for a change - my vids are getting pretty lame and you guys are obviously getting sick of them :tongue:

You guys crack me up, live in LA and you'll find out what getting squeezed out really means-- that was nothing LMAO
AND being a big rig driver for over 25 years, REAL hard to judge vehicles speed especially bikes in the rear view mirror.
My rule coming up on rigs, get your ass over to the opposite side of your lane when passing and do it quickly---- tires at 100 psi or a sleepy driver--- your toast
Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
57 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

Did you get your VFR fixed already Rectal or do you have another bike to ride?  I would actually enjoy seeing someone else motovlog on their 8th gen for a change - my vids are getting pretty lame and you guys are obviously getting sick of them :tongue:

The VFR is back on the road.  For a couple of weeks I was riding a friend's 1989 custom NX-650.  Which was a really fun bike to ride.  But, ya' know, it's not a VFR... :biggrin:

Oh, and that reminds me, I have a couple of plastic bits that have been collecting dust.  Need get some space back here and sell the stuff.  One upper cowl, perfect and never used, and one upper left cowl with a very small scrape on one corner.  Think I'll go post something in the classifieds in the next day or two.

• Member Contributer

The fact that motorcyclists as a group are invisible is nothing new to anyone that has ridden for a few years. Heck, drivers pull out in front of semi-trucks, fire trucks, and police cars with lights and siren, it's little wonder that

we go unseen by many drivers. The more you ride, the more you become more situationally, if there is such a word, aware, and more things fall into the unsurprising category. Hell, ride for over 50 years and you'll have seen

a lot of weirdness. :beer:

• Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, duccmann said:

You guys crack me up, live in LA and you'll find out what getting squeezed out really means-- that was nothing LMAO
AND being a big rig driver for over 25 years, REAL hard to judge vehicles speed especially bikes in the rear view mirror.
My rule coming up on rigs, get your ass over to the opposite side of your lane when passing and do it quickly---- tires at 100 psi or a sleepy driver--- your toast
Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You weren't driving in O-Town last week, were ya? j/k :tongue:   I was doing exactly as you suggested - as I approached the truck at the 2:15 mark I set myself up on the far right side of my lane to give him lots of space.

• Member Contributer
31 minutes ago, Rectaltronics said:

The VFR is back on the road.  For a couple of weeks I was riding a friend's 1989 custom NX-650.  Which was a really fun bike to ride.  But, ya' know, it's not a VFR... :biggrin:

Oh, and that reminds me, I have a couple of plastic bits that have been collecting dust.  Need get some space back here and sell the stuff.  One upper cowl, perfect and never used, and one upper left cowl with a very small scrape on one corner.  Think I'll go post something in the classifieds in the next day or two.

Yeah going from a thumper to a smooth VFR must have been a great feeling! Glad you got your bike back!

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Hell, ride for over 50 years and you'll have seen

a lot of weirdness. :beer:

Holy crap - you've been riding for longer than I've been alive?!?  Forget everything I said above - I hereby defer to your expertise sir!

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I started riding in 1964 before I actually got my license. As far as any expertise, that's debatable. LOL But, to my credit, in the several hundred thousand street miles I've ridden, I've never crashed. But I have

fallen over in parking lots. :beer:

As a 30 year rider, I see all this a lot different than you do.

In this instance, the tractor is over the line at 2:16 (and has been moving that direction for two seconds).... at that moment you no longer have claim to that lane, turn signal or not <and I DO see a red indicator on in this frame>.   It is hard to say for sure, but you're a good 40' to 60' behind him if that is a standard 53' trailer.  For you to continue to accelerate up alongside him puts the blame on you.

frame_1.jpg.7b32dd000db00529ff3c708d8f7a1fdc.jpg

In this instance the yellow block "Exit Only" signage ahead should indicate that someone coming from the right would very likely want to move left.  At 4:48 the car moves into the lane you occupy while you are way back.   You would have to consider they are going to continue across that lane into the next lane since both right-most lanes are forced-exit lanes that end up in the same place.  Yet you continue to accelerate on them as you move to lane #3 and then act surprised/butt hurt when they also move into lane #3.   That one read like a cheap novel.   Even the most novice driver should have seen that one coming.

frame_2.jpg.c9b9e3f6b93596a9ee6c005e8682cbb1.jpg

Areas of high lateral movement are never the right place for any vehicle to make passing moves.   And this is especially true for motorcycles.  In these areas it is always best to hang with the flow of traffic and let things sort out then make your move.

5 hours ago, fink said:

How long have you been riding bikes?  

I have to ask the same question.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

My riding and videos are so boring you could probably use them to help you fall asleep :tongue:.

It's not you, it's the road! Man them roads are flat and devoid of curves. And they're not twisties if it only bends one way. :goofy:

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Lee 2002 said:

...and then act surprised/butt hurt...

LOL - once again (fifth time?) my butt was not hurt in the filming of this video.   I'm starting to think that some of you guys are actually butthurt that I'm not butthurt :tongue:   I admitted right off the bat that my excessive speed played a large part and therefore I have no ill will towards the drivers in question because I don't think they ever saw me approaching them from behind at a high closing speed.  Nor was I "surprised" when these vehicles squeezed into my lane with either no signal (CR-V) or inadequate/late signal (truck) because I always assume I'm invisible and I therefore fully expect that cagers will do things like that.  Again, the purpose of my vid was to illustrate just that point.

Because I was closing in on them so rapidly (my fault) I had less than a second to react to their inadequately signaled lane change (their fault) or they clearly would have side-swiped me.   Had I been an inexperienced rider looking down for a split second to check my fuel gauge for example the outcome could have been ugly.  And yet it's precisely because I was able to react in a fraction of a second and avoid that outcome with no drama that some of you believe there was no danger/squeezing involved.  I wonder how close I have to be to another vehicle going 75 mph before I'm allowed to use the phrase "squeezed out of my lane" without some of you guys getting "butt hurt":tongue: over that claim?   100 feet? 50 feet? 10 feet? 5 feet? 3 feet? 1 foot? 3 inches? 3 mm?  Actual contact?

It's pretty clear to me from this and other similar threads of mine that some of you guys would actually like to see me get run off the road since I tend to speed on public roads and I therefore deserve that fate in your eyes.  Thus, there's really no point in further debate here - I'll never convince you I was squeezed out of my lane and vice versa.   Now if you don't mind I'm gonna go for a nice late-night ride and get me a ?  Have a good night everyone!

Archived