Welcome to VFRDiscussion

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

GatorGreg

Squeezed out of lane twice in 3 minutes

120 posts in this topic
Squeezed by an 18 wheeler from the left at the 2:15 mark and a CR-V from the right at the 4:55 mark.  Always assume you are invisible!  (I did not have my LED flasher on my mirror stalk for this ride since it ran out of batteries and I took it off - I think it would have helped - maybe.)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spend a week or two riding around the northeast.  It'll help reset your butthurt baseline.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wait who squeezed you out of your lane? I didn't see anything risky, well besides slowing down so much in the "corners" got to watch out you don't get rear ended doing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful day to ride GG!  Blue, White, Green, so clean!  Around here, it's more like Black, Brown, and Gray...  Blech!   lol

 

People are HUA everywhere you go...  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3dcycle said:

wait who squeezed you out of your lane? I didn't see anything risky, well besides slowing down so much in the "corners" got to watch out you don't get rear ended doing that.

 

Hmmm...I can see maybe missing the CR-V, but if you seriously didn't see the giant 18 wheeler squeezing into my lane at 80 mph then I'd recommend you visit an eye doctor ASAP before you get yourself in an accident :tongue:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Samuelx said:

Beautiful day to ride GG!  Blue, White, Green, so clean!  Around here, it's more like Black, Brown, and Gray...  Blech!   lol

 

People are HUA everywhere you go...  :(

 

Yeah I had a lot of fun speeding around on those Disney roads - they are so well maintained and super smooooooth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really should leave the invisibility cloak at home when out for a ride. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

Spend a week or two riding around the northeast.  It'll help reset your butthurt baseline.

 

No thanks - way too many potholes up there!  I would probably crash my baby in just a few miles :tongue:   Also, it takes way more than that to hurt my butt - especially since my bike didn't suffer a scratch.  Although I was going way over the speed limit I was riding very defensively (wait, is that an oxymoron? LOL).   Therefore I think I had pretty good reaction time to the lane squeezers and was able to get out of their way.  My purpose in posting this vid was just to remind folks that we are invisible to cagers and to ride accordingly.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There should be no surprises coming your way from big trucks.

You can see them coming a mile away, and they don't handle worth a bleep, ie are predictable.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thepretender said:

You really should leave the invisibility cloak at home when out for a ride. :) 

 

LOL - I'm reminded of a crash compilation video I saw recently where a dude on a bike got hit by a cager despite the fact his bike was lit up like a freaking Christmas tree!  If I can find that vid I'll post it here.  I probably should have kept my high beams on - might have helped although I really don't think it would have made any difference to the 18 wheeler and CR-V.  In their defense I was going way over the speed limit and approaching them pretty fast from behind and at an angle.

 

Edit:  here's the vid I mentioned above - Christmas tree bike is the very first crash.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

No thanks - way too many potholes up there!  I would probably crash my baby in just a few miles :tongue:   Also, it takes way more than that to hurt my butt - especially since my bike didn't suffer a scratch.  Although I was going way over the speed limit I was riding very defensively (wait, is that an oxymoron? LOL).   Therefore I think I had pretty good reaction time to the lane squeezers and was able to get out of their way.  My purpose in posting this vid was just to remind folks that we are invisible to cagers and to ride accordingly.

 

Funny you should say that - here's a FB post from a friend of mine just a couple of hours ago...

 

"Hit a bad pothole that actually hurt by back."

 

Yeah, we're invisible.

 

Sorry, I just found your meter a bit sensitive, that's all.

 

Ride safe,

Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw both cars but come on your where not squeezed as I saw it, maybe it felt that way while doing 80 in a junction. Watching your video I could see him merging as soon as I saw the truck, maybe get your eyes checked or try to ride with out the drama for the camera. Just a thought.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like an autobahn country. You need a hayabusa for these roads:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, 3dcycle said:

I saw both cars but come on your where not squeezed as I saw it, maybe it felt that way while doing 80 in a junction. Watching your video I could see him merging as soon as I saw the truck, maybe get your eyes checked or try to ride with out the drama for the camera. Just a thought.

 

I think you need a bigger monitor - just a thought :tongue:   The 18 wheeler was already on Interstate 4 / 417 - he was not "merging".  It was I who was merging onto Interstate 4 / 417 from World Drive (a Disney road).  The truck decided to get out of his lane and squeeze into my lane, which forced me out of my lane and into the far right lane.  It's very simple - I'm not sure what's so difficult for you to comprehend here.  Obviously there was no "drama" because I was alert and saw him doing it in time to get out of his way.  Next time I'll be sure to just let the truck side-swipe me and turn me into road pizza so as to provide you with more drama - LOL.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

 

LOL - I'm reminded of a crash compilation video I saw recently where a dude on a bike got hit by a cager despite the fact his bike was lit up like a freaking Christmas tree!  If I can find that vid I'll post it here.  I probably should have kept my high beams on - might have helped although I really don't think it would have made any difference to the 18 wheeler and CR-V.  In their defense I was going way over the speed limit and approaching them pretty fast from behind and at an angle.

 

Edit:  here's the vid I mentioned above - Christmas tree bike is the very first crash.

 

 

Hey Gator ya makin me feel sick, man there's a lot we can all learn from these stuff ups, and the most important one is this. "Stay Upright and If You Can't, Lay Down Next to Someone Nice", just like the guy at 3:56, he knew exactly what he was doin, there was good reason for a gentle low side, man what a view ! LOL.

Cheers.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

59688e2965d54_images(3).jpeg.6df89c8f8fe691a41c286b3e70f332ed.jpeg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nelix said:

59688e2965d54_images(3).jpeg.6df89c8f8fe691a41c286b3e70f332ed.jpeg

 

 

Funny but cruel! :biggrin:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grum said:

Hey Gator ya makin me feel sick, man there's a lot we can all learn from these stuff ups, and the most important one is this. "Stay Upright and If You Can't, Lay Down Next to Someone Nice", just like the guy at 3:56, he knew exactly what he was doin, there was good reason for a gentle low side, man what a view ! LOL.

Cheers.

 

Yeah that poor guy must have thought he had died and gone to heaven :tongue: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the video he clearly had his blinker on to move over, I assume for the up coming exit. Granted he could have waited longer into the merge before moving over. I say both at fault here. He was not expecting a bike to be coming onto the highway at 80, and Had you not been doing 80 while merging on to highway you would have seen this, and there would have been plenty of room for everyone with out having to yell for the camera. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3dcycle said:

Watching the video he clearly had his blinker on to move over, I assume for the up coming exit. Granted he could have waited longer into the merge before moving over. I say both at fault here. He was not expecting a bike to be coming onto the highway at 80, and Had you not been doing 80 while merging on to highway you would have seen this, and there would have been plenty of room for everyone with out having to yell for the camera. 

 

Yep, you got me officer - I was speeding and it definitely contributed to the problem.  That's one reason I was not too surprised about either driver not seeing me.  I think I may have muttered "fucking truck" under my breath and I might have even given the CR-V driver a dirty look - LOL - but I hardly think that constitutes "having to yell for the camera" as you put it.  I'm not sure what point you are trying to make?  Again, my only point was to provide a friendly reminder to folks that we are invisible to cagers.

 

I'm also a bit confused by your hypocrisy because in your post above you claimed I was being "risky" for "slowing down so much" for the curves that I would get "rear ended" :tongue:   This despite the fact I was still going about twice the speed limit for the curves - the posted speed limit for the 270 degree off ramp curve was only 25mph for example.  I've seen enough motovlog and crash compilation vids (see example I just posted above) to know that speeding excessively on curves can lead to having a "fucked up day" as CycleCruza likes to say :tongue:  Since you're obviously a traffic expert maybe you can please share with the forum precisely how many mph over the speed limit we should be riding so as to avoid getting rear ended while still remaining plainly visible to the traffic ahead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tiutis said:

Looks like an autobahn country. You need a hayabusa for these roads:)

 

I agree it would be awesome fun to have a Hayabusa on those roads but we do have speed limits unfortunately so I try not to go much over 100mph - so I actually think the VFR is the perfect bike for me.  I already had my license suspended for 30 days for speeding - if I got a Busa it would probably be permanently revoked :tongue:   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could always take a riding trip to the UK? That would make any road feel fast!

 

This isn't me (I'm on the other side of London) but it's incredibly similar to 30 miles (50 miles one day last week) of my ride home. I try and stick to around 30mph but do occasionally get grumpy and speed it up a bit..

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Katie said:

You could always take a riding trip to the UK? That would make any road feel fast!

 

This isn't me (I'm on the other side of London) but it's incredibly similar to 30 miles (50 miles one day last week) of my ride home. I try and stick to around 30mph but do occasionally get grumpy and speed it up a bit..

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LOL - perfect song choice for the end of that vid!  One very odd thing I noticed (although I did skim through it) is that I don't think I saw ANY pickup trucks on the road there whereas here in Fla it seems like 1 out of every 4 vehicles is a pickup - things are very different here!

 

I feel bad for your commute Katie - I can somewhat relate because I had a job for about 10 years where I had to drive about 45-50 minutes each way in hectic traffic and it was very stressful.   I count my blessings every day that I live and work in the suburbs now and only have about an 8 mile drive each way - I actually look forward now to my commute if you can imagine that.   Here's a vid I did of my commute to work on my old PCX150 scooter - ironically it's also kind of appropriate to the theme of this thread because I almost got side-swiped by a cager at the 3:45 mark :tongue:

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a traffic expert at all, my first post was simply stating that after watching your video the greatest risk to you was another racer rear ending you when you slowed for a ramp. 

As far as the speeds are concerned I could care less about your safety riding is a risk and we all choose to ride regardless of the risk. The more you increase your speed the more you risk injury. Now this does not mean I wish you or anybody else injury, but if you do get hurt I will not lose sleep over it, I totaled my bike while living on Orlando doing the same shit you are doing just s tad faster. A car swerved in front of me. Still my fault for going too fast.

so keep driving that way I don't really care, take responsibility for your actions. This post should say while riding too fast cars merge in front of me..

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't see anything close to being "squeezed out of lane". The truck had his turn signal on indicating he was going to change lanes, you come up really fast on the right. If you had been aware of your surroundings you would have seen the turn signals and not been surprised when he moved over. 

 

The CRV didn't give much warning but plenty of distance, and the lanes were clearly marked "Exit Only" so it was an excellent possibility that he was coming over at some point. You shouldn't have been surprised again.

 

But maybe our definitions are much different. I consider being squeezed out of a lane to occur when the car is either beside me, or directly in front of me, and comes over with no warning, and no reason. You had tons of time, lots of space, another lane to move into, and no squeezing that I saw.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now