Tips for Flaring Chain Master Link? Just Broke Mine

Everything was done using that stupid chain press tool, and everything was in spec.  Then the last rivet had to go and crack on me.  I wanted to cry, rage, kick the bike over, hit something - all at once.

At this point I'd rather bring it to a shop.  Chains seem to be an art form.  I really, really wish clip styles were better - I don't want to have to grind this thing down again.

OqvJshz.jpg

That's a shame, if that's a DID 530VX chain, the spec on the flair is 5.7-6.0mm which isn't much at all but the plate is a press fit so not much is needed to hold it on.

I just did this recently on my bike and apart from borrowing a better chain tool (thanks Skids) all seems to go OK, when flairing the rivet I took it in small steps and checked the movement repeatedly with vernier calipers, once the reading went over 5.7 I stopped.

Buy a new link and try again? Take your time and flair the rivets in small steps until the flair meets the spec above.

That hub is much cleaner than mine.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, daved said:

That hub is much cleaner than mine.

Nice shiny sprocket to go with the nice shiny chain

• Member Contributer

I'm sure it will depend on the quality of the chain press tool but the Stockton one from Cycle Gear has enough play in it that you could be slightly out of alignment and could cause the issue you suffered with your master link. I had just replaced my chain a week ago and it took a couple of tries to get the tool aligned just right before I could stake the rivet. Although it is not a complex task, it does take some care.

On my very first chain replacement using the Stockton tool, I think it took me several hours (slight exaggeration), pressing, checking, pressing, checking, etc... It didn't help that I was using Harbor Freight calipers to check the rivet staking measurement! I have since gotten more familiar with both tools and feel more confident about using both. For me, there will always be a slight amount of paranoia afterward, just in my nature I guess. Only after a few rides do I forget all about it. So far latest chain seems to be doing just fine (knock on wood).

9 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

I'm sure it will depend on the quality of the chain press tool but the Stockton one from Cycle Gear has enough play in it that you could be slightly out of alignment and could cause the issue you suffered with your master link. I had just replaced my chain a week ago and it took a couple of tries to get the tool aligned just right before I could stake the rivet. Although it is not a complex task, it does take some care.

On my very first chain replacement using the Stockton tool, I think it took me several hours (slight exaggeration), pressing, checking, pressing, checking, etc... It didn't help that I was using Harbor Freight calipers to check the rivet staking measurement! I have since gotten more familiar with both tools and feel more confident about using both. For me, there will always be a slight amount of paranoia afterward, just in my nature I guess. Only after a few rides do I forget all about it. So far latest chain seems to be doing just fine (knock on wood).

I bought this tool: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MSC1V2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I honestly think it was something I did to mess this up, since the original rivet worked fine.  I will say I felt like I was fighting the tool just as much as I was fighting the press plate force.  The machining seemed off and it could use a smoother grind in the body when using the link press attachment.

It would appear that maybe you did not have the flaring head centered in the rivet's hole or was not centered over the rivet on the back plate and was pressing on a diagonal.   It is difficult to say exactly from the photo.   But since you're first rivet looks good I would say give it another go with a new link.

You mention the "stupid tool", but I never saw what you are using?  I use the RK T101 tool and have been very happy with it.

The link you questioned in your other thread is what you are needing.

• 7 months later...

I'd run it as-is but keep inspecting it often.  With one good rivet and one half-good, the side plate won't come off, and that's the only possible problem.

Archived