New Member, newly acquired VF500F's

Straycat

Hi Folks, first post here.

I just added 2 VF500's to my stable of Bikes.  One is an very clean 1986 (needs very little) and one is a complete, running but tatty '85.

The '85 will be my next project bike, ill be checking the engine (especially the top end) before I get too far into buying parts for the build.  If the top end is showing too much wear or neglect, i may forgo the project build and part it out.

The plan for the 85 is to build a full fairing Rothmans tribute bike.

Ive never worked on a honda V4, most of my wrenching has been on the 80's 2 strokes, and Im just reading up on the V4 500's to learn before I get at it

I ve done several full "stock " restorations on my bikes, this will be my first custom one-off type build that ive been wanting to do for a while.  

Im located in Ontario Canada (near North).  In the stable of bikes so far I have:

2014 CBR500R

2016 TTR230

2013 YZ250F

1986 Honda NS400r

1986 TLR200 Reflex

1986 VF500F

1985 VF500F

1988 Honda Hawk GT NT5650

1987 Suzuki RG250 Gamma - Walter Wolf

1988 Suzuki RGV250 VJ21 "j"  (JDM only)

1989 Yam RZ350

1989 Yam FZR400

1985 Yam RZ500

Pic of the 86 Interceptor and some of the other bikes.  pic of the 85 still to come

P1090834.JPG

P1090766.JPG

P1090767.JPG

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond!

Great garage!

My garage is the front garden....

:goofy:

IMAG7254.thumb.jpg.747d30b9764005b814d2ee8b2576e961.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hopefully the engine looks good.  Looks like a good project candidate.

Commented elsewhere, but again, nice collection.

3 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond!

Great garage!

My garage is the front garden....

:goofy:

IMAG7254.thumb.jpg.747d30b9764005b814d2ee8b2576e961.jpg

bedankt !

lovely F2 you have!

3 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Hopefully the engine looks good.  Looks like a good project candidate.

Commented elsewhere, but again, nice collection.

thank you

• 1 month later...

Completely envious of both the bikes and the garage space! looking forward to seeing where this build goes. I wish the U.S got a few more bikes that Canada received over the years as your entire collection makes me salivate!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Nice selection of bikes.

My two favorite Motorcycle liveries are the Walter Wolf Suzuki and Rothmans Honda.

Thanks Guys, I've started the tear down on the 85 Rothmans project.  it will mainly get done over the winter months.  Ill post pic's as I go, its a bit of a filthy mess.  I have most of the custom parts in hand now, just the decal kit to acquire and then its strip it to the bone and start powder-coating frame parts and such.

Ill not tackle the bodywork till spring most likely.

P1090870.JPG

• 1 month later...

limited progress, disassembly is slow.  playing with alternate front fenders and Clip-ons.

Fender is a Japanese NS400R, if I go with this it will be painted white, as will the fork fairings.  Ill do the stock fender (chopped) as well, just to have options

Will remove the engine in the next week or so

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

• Member Contributer

If you ever come across a source for that cover over the passenger seat for a VF500.....  :beer:

Honda%20VF1000R%20RONTH%2086.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Welcome and Go "Mini-Ceptor"

Before Mr.RC45 I had a love affair with my 86 VF500F Interceptor
bought new from Golden Gate Cycles... I modified it extensively...
Dymags... Billet Clutch basket... Exhaust and even converted the chain
to belt... This became famous Belt-0-Ceptor... I racked up 98,000
trouble free miles... I sold it to my Air Force buddy up in White City
Oregon...

ce5BVi3.jpg

gallery_3131_51_14630.jpg

Home made Billet Clutch Basket
gallery_3131_51_1687.jpg

My custom dash with Oh Shit warning...
gallery_3131_51_36605.jpg

Sometimes being the littlest bike among the Big-Bad-Motors of Death
can be a recipe for bruised egos...
qBUdODI.jpg

Thanks guys, once the engine is back in, I hope rest will go fairly quickly until I get to the body-work, that will take me into the spring to get sorted.

Im expecting the clip-ons to be a challenge with the stock upper fairing, so that may need some mods.  

Will also have to re locate the fuse box as the top triple clamp will not have th eplastic cover on it.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Straycat said:

Im expecting the clip-ons to be a challenge with the stock upper fairing, so that may need some mods.  

The stock fairing location does not like most clip-ons.  I managed to get some Telefix configured that don't hit the fairing or tank at full lock, barely.

• 3 weeks later...

Engine is back in, as are the exhaust headers and collector.  Wiring looms are back in and I have alot of reconnecting to do.   New Bars are on, I have to swap out the stock levers for the billet shorty ones I got.   Front brakes are done and back on the bike, just have to bleed those.

Seat is in at the upholstery shop, rider portion black and pillion in white to simulate a solo seat

P1090998.jpg

P1090996.JPG

here is my 30 second sketch of what the paint scheme may look like.  Still playing with ideas.

Entire tail section will be white, including white grab bar and vinyl on the pillion part of the seat to simulate a solo seat (its in being done now).  the blue stripe will accent the white along with the rothmans red and gold stripes.

generally the paint lines of the upper fairing will be similar to stock lines.   The lowers will mirror that.  I think it was Captain80's bike that provided some inspiration for mirroring the lower paint scheme.  The lowers are Targa fiber-glass items from the 80's.

I have some HRC, VFOUR and CASTROL stickers to make it go faster  :)  , still have to decide on final placement of all those

I didnt have a gold pen, so used silver , but the stripes will be the gold and red Rothmans

Rothmans Interceptor.jpeg

Archived