Trouble fitting straight bar conversion on 2001VFR800

I have bought a similar kit (ABM-German made).

i managed to re-route the  clutch line around the the outside of the left fork tube by dropping the forks and then putting them back together.

How do I dismantle the small plate that the throttle cables are attached to under the air filter? See attached photo.

The chassis beam is in the way to place a Phillips screwdriver onto the screw heads.

Is there another way to disconnect the throttle cables so they can be re-routed over the air box?

Thought this was going to be easy.

So far nothing but a pain in the arse, but mother is the necessity of all inventions, and current setup has been too painful to keep riding.

Dont want to sell the bike, but if I can't  sort out the riding position it will have to go .

Any other tips you have gained will be great fully received as the instructions  here are crap at best.

i have now managed to re-route the cable but cannot get the opening cable back into the throttle body connection. I have slackened off all the adjust Rd and it's a little bit too short still.

Any ideas? I have included photos of where the cables have been redirected,  it they are currently still on the original clip one so I can move the bike in and out of the shed.

Anything else you can advice in advance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

• Member Contributer

I haven't had to do this one myself, but I'd suggest that at the throttle body, you loosen the cable nuts and slip the whole upper cable out of the bracket, then fit the cable end in the throttle drum then pull the cable back into the bracket and re-tighten. 

• Member Contributer

I fitted higher bars on my 2002 and used Throttle cables from a Honda ST1300 as they are slightly longer. it was fiddle to get them attached though I had to loosen the adjusters as far as they would got to get enough slack and then res-set them.

I've been able to get that plate off before in situ with a pair of small needle-nose channel locks on the forward most screw.   But it's a pain.

I have the german tubular bar kit with ST1300 cables.   I had to make a spacer to get the cables to work, as I didn't have enough adjustment to get all the slack out.   So I took an M6 nut and cut a slot in the side, and put that between the cable housing and the stop on the side of the throttle body.   With the spacer I can adjust the throttle slack where I like it.   

Tried everything, no joy. Succeeded by taking air box off (bloody complicated) then loosened the clamps on the throttle bodies and raised them about 1 inch. Success.

Now the front master cylinder is loose on the handlebar even when tightened up!

Any suggestions???

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, daffyduck1962 said:

Now the front master cylinder is loose on the handlebar even when tightened up!

Any suggestions???

Does the two halves of the clamp meet? I've had this with budget bars where the tubing is slightly less than 22mm (5/8"). I cured it by filling the flats of the clamps down so there is more of a gap between the surfaces and it could get a purchase on the bars.

I have successfully managed to re-route my throttle cables and i must say that i finally sorted it by undoing them on the throttle side as someone else suggested. It was a nightmare, but finally it is all done without disaster. I pray that i may never have to remove these cables from the motor side, because that will probably be a hell of a learning curve. I am used to a cx500, which was very easy to work on compared to this baby. I don't know if the pics will be of any use, but i'll attach them anyhow in case.

IMG_20170712_105207.jpg

IMG_20170712_110052.jpg

IMG_20170712_110101.jpg

Archived