VF500 new restoration, carb advice?

F2Nik

Hi Guys,

Total newbie here. Been reading Vf500 threads on here for the last 6 months and now finally getting my 84' put back together.

All going fairly well. Cams all look good, had new big end bearings and a rebuild only 2000 miles ago and has done 35000 in total.

Frame powdercoated, new bearings, new radiator, etc 

Have had my carbs ultrasonic cleaned and now to rebuild them.

I'm totally bemused by all the jetting comments and references on here as there seems to be no confirmed setup.

Mine has 90 main jets front and rear but different emulsion tubes front and rear.

It is on VD56E carbs. 

It has a standard exhaust system and air filter.

What would anybody suggest regarding jetting? Should I just leave it as is?

It ran okay but just wondered if I should alter anything whilst it's apart.

How about the extra fuel pipe mod, is this worth doing on the 84 setup.

Anything else I should consider doing whilst it's in bits and before a respray?

Many thanks already for all the great info that is on here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

"It ran ok" is probably your best answer! You have a wonderful piece of machinery there that doesn't like abuse(dropped valves), ride to enjoy. I have one that needs a full rebuild, I'll be doing it for the classic it is. If you want 'fast' think of a second bike?
I say this for love of them!
Ps, have you seen spstu's thread? Work of art rebuild.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that guys. Just started putting it back together. Had just been waiting fora new hagon shock.

Hopefully get the engine back in over the next few weeks.

Not looking for fast, I've an R6 sat in the corner of the garage if needed.

Don't get much chance to get out as usually farming when the weather is good but always wanted a VF500F2 since I had the poster on my bedroom wall in 85.

Will have a look at spstu's thread.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

We need a picture of course!!! Hopw else do we know you are not a VF500 ghost? :goofy:

New Hagon will transform the ride; got an YSS in mine as the OEM was well past it.

Put a new set of front springs in with a set of RaceTech's emulators.

• Member Contributer

Haha, I drew/traced a picture of(full faring, sweeping a corner) a VF750 onto my canvas school bag.....Aah, boys dreams!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I bought an 86 VF500F recently, and pulled the carbs to clean them only to find they were off an 84 VF500F. So I did some research

Honda did a different carb for every model year here in the US.

84 had VD56A's with jetted 105 front, 102 rear. 32mm body.

85's had V854B's with 105's front and rear. 32mm body

86 had VD31A's with 90's front and rear. 30 mm body

Your VD56E's from what I can find on the web seem to be oem from Honda with 32mm bodies with 90 jets front and rear. 

So Honda was all over the show with fueling these bikes.

• 2 weeks later...

I am running 120 main jets with 4-1 straight pipe. I also upped the slow jets. I think slow jets would give your bike at least a little more stability when accelerating. More fuel = lower temperature right? I would highly recommend the extra fuel inlet mod, I found evidence to suggest it makes a difference. dZS3zYe.jpg

There is what mine looks like fully installed. I also have pictures of the carbon deposits showing a lean mixture towards the 4th carb. Pretty straight forward procedure. Just match the same spot on the other side of the carb with where the OEM inlet is. Just look out when you drill through, that you dont punch too far in. There is a fuel filter below the 4th carb that will get munched if you hit it with the drill. I did that to mine, but hey its nothing an inline fuel filter wont compensate for.

Archived