Speeding tickets in CA by CHP - 5mph over

Hello All,

Got my first speeding ticket ever by a moto cop in CA while riding my VFR. 

I'm relatively new to CA and it's my first ticket here. He cited me for 70 in a 65 and claimed to lazer me at 73.  Laws are really different out here, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with CA law and what to do.  I've read about the TBD but it seems finicky.  Any experiences or suggests ion are welcome.

• Member Contributer

Any time I get a ticket, which is rare and hasn't happened on 2 wheels yet, I do the online traffic school. Insurance doesn't count it after that, so I consider it a speed tax.

I'm sure the armchair lawyers will have better info though ;)

By the way, that cop had way too much time on their hands if they were worrying about you going 70-73. Rediculous given the fact people are flying up the 405 at 95mph chatting on their cell phones the whole time.

• Member Contributer

I'll have to agree with tanner on this, CHP must have been bored and yes, taking an online traffic school is the best way to avoid this going on your record. Where did you receive your ticket and was there anyone else around?

1 hour ago, Duc2V4 said:

I'll have to agree with tanner on this, CHP must have been bored and yes, taking an online traffic school is the best way to avoid this going on your record. Where did you receive your ticket and was there anyone else around?

On the PCH northbound just shy of Neptunes Net.

No one was around that I can recall :/  

Was wondering if I could beat this ticket and save myself the traffic school option for something that will likely happen in the future.

Thanks for the help

1 hour ago, Samuelx said:

You are the man! Thanks for the call.  I'll keep you updated.

• Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, bighawk said:

On the PCH northbound just shy of Neptunes Net.

No one was around that I can recall :/  

Was wondering if I could beat this ticket and save myself the traffic school option for something that will likely happen in the future.

Thanks for the help

That's probably why. Usually when in a mix of vehicles, they catch the guy at the back of the pack. Plus there are a lot of show boaters that like to show off in front of Neptune's that I'm sure he would have loved to catch. It looks like Samuel got you covered! :cheerleader:

That's one area the cops are all over things.

I normally do 10 - 15 over on city streets, if traffic allows. No problem.

On the freeway you can do 80+ and they don't give you a second look, generally.

For a lousy 5 over ticket, I'd just do traffic school.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just out of curiosity. What is the online traffic school? and how is it applied. In the UK the local Police Forces have the discretion to offer what they call a speed awareness course but this is a physical course which you must attend. it is more expensive than the speeding fine £85 as opposed to £65 but it does keep 3 points off your licence and is actually quite informative. 

The UK have a points system for your licence with points being administered depending on the severity of the offence. They use a totting up system and once you reach 12 active points you get a ban, usually a year.

But if you attend a speed awareness course you don't get points on your licence and you are not obliged to tell your insurance provider.

as I said just curious.

• Member Contributer

I got caught with two other people, we all in our VW camper vans!,I was the first person on my speed awareness they ever had with a camper van

• Member Contributer

That area is a cherry patch for over inforcement. Very slim chance you can fight it and win but may as well by declaration. Written mail in hearing. Maybe officer will not respond. You can request a real trial if it doesnt go your way and ask for traffic school if you lose. Say traffic was moving slower than the limit making it appear you were moving faster than you were. There was another motorcycle passing you at the moment you were passing the officers lazer...as you were slowing to match the traffic that was drastically slowing ahead due to the offficer shooting laser ahead of you. 5mph over means he was frustrated because everyone spotted him and he wasn't getting any real speeders. It's not unusual to get hyper enforcement against motorcycles in a popular motorcycle riding spot. They are trying to make a point.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Woodie said:

Just out of curiosity. What is the online traffic school? and how is it applied. In the UK the local Police Forces have the discretion to offer what they call a speed awareness course but this is a physical course which you must attend. it is more expensive than the speeding fine £85 as opposed to £65 but it does keep 3 points off your licence and is actually quite informative. 

The UK have a points system for your licence with points being administered depending on the severity of the offence. They use a totting up system and once you reach 12 active points you get a ban, usually a year.

But if you attend a speed awareness course you don't get points on your licence and you are not obliged to tell your insurance provider.

as I said just curious.

Sorry to be pedantic, but the police in the UK may have discretion, but they don't exercise it--if you qualify for a course, you get offered it--so there's really no point in either asking or begging. And because it is a police-side scheme, the courts have no power to give it to you no matter what you do.  The totting-up ban is six months (by statute), btw.  Finally, because a course is not considered a "conviction", you don't have to volunteer the fact that you've attended a course, but some insurance companies do ask (notably, those part of the Admiral group), and if they do you have to answer truthfully.

If you think a standard fixed-penalty speeding fine is £65, you obviously haven't been naughty for quite some time!  (It's been £100 since 2013.)  

Ciao,

6 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

73 in a 65??? mercy that's not speeding... 90 in a 65 is...

Then there's the one where we were doing 60 plus or minus along a freeway frontage.

All 4 of us got written for 90 in a 55, wtf.

I'd hire a lawyer if it was like that again.

Of course the court room lie was believed and I was found guilty.

Yes, I am still ranting about it now and then. :dry:

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, JZH said:

If you think a standard fixed-penalty speeding fine is £65, you obviously haven't been naughty for quite some time!  (It's been £100 since 2013.)  

Blimey, you are being pedantic, my words were. " In the UK the local Police Forces have the discretion to offer what they call a speed awareness course"  no mention of asking or begging for it ??   It's also different from force to force.  Some offer it some don't I know because I once got caught speeding by two separate forces in one day, Identical offences one got me points, one got me the course.                                            

And "you are not obliged to tell your insurance" but, as you say, if they ask... well that is different isn't it.

and it's not that I haven't been naughty I've just not been caught. . . .  for a while. I'm sure it's due.

• Member Contributer

I did tell you I was being pedantic... :happy:  

My point was that if you get snapped by a speed camera (or, in some cases, stopped at the roadside by an actual police officer) and you meet the qualification criteria, you will be offered the course.  There is no element of the police deciding to offer it or deciding not to offer it.  That is effectively no discretion at all.  The only discretion on the police forces' part is whether or not that force participates in the national scheme or not.  There are one or two that do not, I seem to recall.

One of the aforementioned criteria is that you have not already taken a course within a certain period (within the national scheme), so if you had been offered two courses for two tickets "earned" on the same day, once this was discovered the second offer would have been withdrawn and your money refunded.  The problem is that by the time they figure out that you cannot take two courses it may be too late to even get a fixed penalty offer and would have to go to court...

I spend a bit of time on PePiPoo, which is where you really want to go if you ever have any queries about how traffic and parking enforcement work in the UK.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 9/14/2017 at 6:56 PM, VFR4Lee said:

Then there's the one where we were doing 60 plus or minus along a freeway frontage.

All 4 of us got written for 90 in a 55, wtf.

I'd hire a lawyer if it was like that again.

Of course the court room lie was believed and I was found guilty.

Yes, I am still ranting about it now and then. :dry:

Next they're going to build a wall to keep us speeders out...

• Member Contributer

There's obviously no patriotism towards Kalifornia in this thread.  The state is financially insolvent and getting worse, they've nearly taxed a dollar, a dollar, so where else is the money supposed to come from??  Oh, and Texas is running out of room for Kalifornians......

On a more positive note, looks like the best choices are traffic school, or fight it.  

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Bent said:

There's obviously no patriotism towards Kalifornia in this thread.  The state is financially insolvent and getting worse, they've nearly taxed a dollar, a dollar, so where else is the money supposed to come from??  Oh, and Texas is running out of room for Kalifornians......

On a more positive note, looks like the best choices are traffic school, or fight it.  

Just sounds like more Texas BS. Thank you for trolling.

On 9/16/2017 at 1:05 PM, BusyLittleShop said:

Next they're going to build a wall to keep us speeders out...

Or a wall to keep out illiterati that can't spell California. :tongue:

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

Or a wall to keep out illiterati that can't spell California. :tongue:

I'm all for this. I'm not a fan of try-hards that have no idea how to express their conservatism except by blindly mocking the 6th largest economy in the world. There is a reason I moved out of Texas and will never, ever move back. They believe their own b.s. there!

• Member Contributer

The company I worked for was based in the United States of Texas and before I left they offered me a position at their HQ in Richardson. Although I am usually open to new experiences, my wife and I discussed it over and over and both of us decided that Texas was not for us. Even though I'd be earning more plus the addition to the cost of living difference, we both decided it would be best if we stayed in California. It's been 13 years since then and I still have my own business and doing well enough that I have several motorcycles, ride in awesome areas and get to enjoy the beaches, mountains, deserts and even an island across the channel as often as I like!

I should add, if anybody wants to bail California, please do, it's so crowded here already, I'd really like a little less traffic when I ride! :wink:

Archived