2010 VFR 1200 no start

• Member Contributer

Hi shift707.

Do we assume you now have all new spark plugs installed? The EGCA Exhaust Gas Control Actuator you videoed may just be going through its normal self test mode?? anyhow the EGCA would not be related to your starting issue. Do you have any diagnostic codes flashing on your instrument panel? Also, compared to my VFR800F, your cranking speed seems a little slow, why not try using some jumper leads and connect it up to your car battery, this may also help to diagnose a dying battery, see how it goes, failing that try the flooded engine start procedure I spoke of previously.

Good Luck.

Cheers.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friend of mine with the VFR 1200F had this issue recently and it was the engine stop switch, the big red switch on the handlebar. He had to replace the whole unit. Cleaning it with contact cleaner gave no joy and the part that was broken couldn't be replaced so he had to replace the whole unit. It was annoying and a bit expensive in Europe

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, Auspanglish said:

Friend of mine with the VFR 1200F had this issue recently and it was the engine stop switch, the big red switch on the handlebar. He had to replace the whole unit. Cleaning it with contact cleaner gave no joy and the part that was broken couldn't be replaced so he had to replace the whole unit. It was annoying and a bit expensive in Europe

BUT - The kill switch "the big Red switch" will inhibit the starter motor and that's not happening!

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Auspanglish said:

That's what I get for not reading the initial post. Apologies.

No worries my friend LOL!:beer:

Cheers.

Grum

8 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi shift707.

Do we assume you now have all new spark plugs installed? The EGCA Exhaust Gas Control Actuator you videoed may just be going through its normal self test mode?? anyhow the EGCA would not be related to your starting issue. Do you have any diagnostic codes flashing on your instrument panel? Also, compared to my VFR800F, your cranking speed seems a little slow, why not try using some jumper leads and connect it up to your car battery, this may also help to diagnose a dying battery, see how it goes, failing that try the flooded engine start procedure I spoke of previously.

Good Luck.

Cheers.

Hey Grum,

I will need the shop to get the plugs replaced.  I just can't get in there to get the coils out.  Mechanic at the shop didn't seem to think plugs were the issue, but may just bite the bullet anyway and get them done.  There are no diagnostic codes sadly.  I don't have the tool to check for stored codes, but I don't recall it ever coming on while riding or in the garage.  I did take an extra motorcycle battery and use jumper cables to hook it to the battery in the bike last night (basically a jump start) and still no change.  Everything sounded the same and still no pop.  I did unplug the exhaust servo and try to start just out of curiosity and I managed to get a few pops, but after more research on the ecgr this seems purely coincidental.  I can't find a flooded engine procedure in the manual, but I will attempt the procedure you wrote about earlier and see what happens.  Pardon my ignorance in this, but if it had been flooded wouldn't it have dried out by now?  It hasn't started in close to a month now.

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, shift707 said:

Hey Grum,

I will need the shop to get the plugs replaced.  I just can't get in there to get the coils out.  Mechanic at the shop didn't seem to think plugs were the issue, but may just bite the bullet anyway and get them done.  There are no diagnostic codes sadly.  I don't have the tool to check for stored codes, but I don't recall it ever coming on while riding or in the garage.  I did take an extra motorcycle battery and use jumper cables to hook it to the battery in the bike last night (basically a jump start) and still no change.  Everything sounded the same and still no pop.  I did unplug the exhaust servo and try to start just out of curiosity and I managed to get a few pops, but after more research on the ecgr this seems purely coincidental.  I can't find a flooded engine procedure in the manual, but I will attempt the procedure you wrote about earlier and see what happens.  Pardon my ignorance in this, but if it had been flooded wouldn't it have dried out by now?  It hasn't started in close to a month now.

Hi shift707.

The start procedure I mentioned is on pages 30 and 31 of your owners manual and its the same for the VFR800. Just try connecting the jumper leads up to your car battery again and immediately try the described start procedure - its worth a go.

1. Open the Throttle Fully and press the Start Button for 5 seconds. 2. Repeat Normal starting procedure. 3. If engine starts, open the throttle slightly if idling is unstable. 4. If engine does not start, wait 10 seconds before trying steps 1 and 2 again.

Note - With the throttle Fully Open as in step 1 the engine will not start - its most likely going through a cylinder fuel purge phase.

Good Luck.

Cheers. 

Just try the following:

Put the key in the ignition and turn the ignition to the on position then put it in gear take it off the centre stand if it is on the centre stand, if it is on the side stand then hold the bike up vertically put the side stand up and then try pushing the bike forwards and backwards, several times, without holding in the clutch. Then put it back in neutral put it on the side stand and try pressing the starter button.

If that doesn't work, again with the ignition turned to the on position and the bike in gear, try holding in the clutch and pushing the bike forward a few metres and then pushing the bike backwards a little further than you pushed it forward, put the bike in neutral, put it on the side stand and then try to start it.

H i s s is a Honda Security System which basically disables the bike unless a coded key is used so I was wondering perhaps if your coded key had been near a magnetic field or a microwave oven and lost its code you could try the spare key but I believe this system is only in the UK and Europe and maybe Australia

Just humour me and try rolling the bike like I suggested I seem to remember some story about a particular model of bike which doing this resets something somewhere I don't remember but I seem to remember it being the vfr1200 anyway what have you got to lose

I don't think it would be the plugs either I see you're having trouble removing the front plugs well the coils can you not use something plastic and long to get some leverage without scratching the engine cover or perhaps something made out of softwood or use a rag to protect the engine cover you need some leverage and then you can test all of your spark plugs and coils trying to ground them on the engine body see if you get some spark

That servo valve under the seat could be involved somehow.

Look what I have found on the interweb... This guy, definitely UK, can't get the bike to start and it seems to be electrical actually it seems like the bike is electrically dead anyway if you find the video boring you can scroll straight through to about the 4 minute 30 second mark.

Funny enough he seemed to know about the rolling the bike back n forth trick ( I'm thinking it might have something to do with the gear position sensor)... but after he does it suddenly at least he's getting the starter motor to work by pressing the starter button so something happens with this rolling back and forth protocol and at the end of the video you can see the cable has come loose from the servo valve under the seat and his starter motor is turning the engine over but he doesn't seem to be getting any spark and then it seems like it's flooded and then it runs but rough.

The strange thing about your case is you say it started up just fine after washing and you store it in the garage so maybe some connectors somewhere got wet like maybe the coils got wet and anyway you still need to do some troubleshooting.

• Member Contributer

Auspanglish.

Sorry mate but I have to say that video is crap! The guy seems to have wired in some kind of alarm system that may be causing havoc. The idea of rocking the bike back and forward in gear I assume he is trying to have some sort of effect on the neutral switch, however a faulty neutral will again inhibit the starter and this is not happening with shift707. Clutch switch, neutral switch, side stand switch, kill switch, all will inhibit the Starter Motor.

If shift707 has the HISS System (don't think he has) and have a faulty key, he would not hear the fuel pump prime and the HISS light on the dash would flash or remain on to warn of a faulty key.

I do agree with you that shift707 may have gotten water into a sensitive area, but having proved he has Spark and Fuel and no malfunction warnings on the dash, Why shouldn't the bike start?

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, shift707 said:

Cool! Thanks!  I looked at the electronic version in the manual quick and still don't see it.  What chapter is it in?

Shift707.

I simply looked online for the 2010 VFR1200 Owners manual, went to Page 30 where it states ; "If The Engine Does Not Start".

I have already gone to the trouble of showing you the procedure............................... Have you finally given that procedure a go, and hopefully with a car battery jumpered to your bike just to give it the extra cranking capacity??????????

Cheers.

Grum, 

I think you might get the points here. Started out with the flooded engine cycle tonight. Had to go through it about 4 times but each time she gave me a little more pop and finally on the fourth try she fired up. Ran it for a minute and shit it off, started right back up. Even took it for a quick ride and she feels awesome. I have to say I'm amazed right now. It was that simple all along. I'll keep everyone posted if something changes. Only question I have is how it stayed flooded for a month? Was it the injectors that were flooded or the engine itself?

• Member Contributer
On 20 July 2017 at 10:18 AM, shift707 said:

Grum, 

I think you might get the points here. Started out with the flooded engine cycle tonight. Had to go through it about 4 times but each time she gave me a little more pop and finally on the fourth try she fired up. Ran it for a minute and shit it off, started right back up. Even took it for a quick ride and she feels awesome. I have to say I'm amazed right now. It was that simple all along. I'll keep everyone posted if something changes. Only question I have is how it stayed flooded for a month? Was it the injectors that were flooded or the engine itself?

JACKPOT!! As they say "One for the Gipper"!

Pleased you're up and running again. Glad it was just a case of the Flooded Engine scenario. Just don't ever run the bike from cold 20 feet then turn it off, get to a warm engine state then turn it off.

Regards.

Grum.

P.S. The restart issue you describe with it gradually getting to a cough and splutter then finally going is exactly how the Mazda 3 I mentioned at the start of the thread eventually came back to life - it's a known issue.

So awesome. Thanks to everyone that helped. Still think I'll take it in and get those two front plugs changed out, but I feel so much better now that the shop won't be tinkering around with it charging me money while looking for a solution. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

I was clutching at straws.

Same...

A bit of time off the road, but you saved some dough and learnt a thing or two.

Archived