Weight and speed limits for Givi top box

I got a Givi V56 Maxia 4 and mounting hardware yesterday. All fitted well, and the mounting bracket seems very robust. The box itself is max 10kg load, which is fine, but on the arms of the mounting brackets it says max 6kg! Given the box itself weights a good 2-3kg, sticking to that limit would make it pretty much useless. Or could it mean 6kg per arm? I can't see how they could give a weight limit for the box that would be greater than the bracket allows.

Then there's the speed limit, which I think applies to all their luggage, of 120kph, or 75 mph. What might happen at say 85? Is there much of a risk?

Well, my Givi rack sheared through after less than two months... It was used (with a Kappa V47l box) for carrying work clothes and lunch and I don't eat that much! Givi have replaced it but I bought a Honda rack (off a VFR1200) and feel a lot more confident with it.

Crack.jpg

• Member Contributer

My 2c, which may or may not be totally worthless...

I wonder if part of the concern might also be (in addition to bracket and bag strengths) aerodynamics and balance.

I recall when doing close to 140mph on my 4th gen with bags on, the front of the bike felt way too light for comfort.

7 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

My 2c, which may or may not be totally worthless...

I wonder if part of the concern might also be (in addition to bracket and bag strengths) aerodynamics and balance.

I recall when doing close to 140mph on my 4th gen with bags on, the front of the bike felt way too light for comfort.

Wow 140mph! I can report that the Honda luggage fully loaded is ok at 140 kph! Never thought to try 140mph with luggage plus you get locked up here for that.

• Member Contributer

I've had Givi racks and top cases on a my bikes for years now and wouldn't own one without it. My VFR has lived with one for 60,000 km now and has been solid as a rock.

I remember seeing Givi's tiny load ratings and top speed suggestions before and wondered how that was possible. Suffice it to say, I have ignored them and honestly don't feel they are there for anything but to please the lawyers. My Givi case is almost invisible on my VFR -- loaded or empty and well beyond their recommended speed limit.

For what it's worth. :)

Just to muddy the waters, I've had Givi on all my bikes and always highly rated them. It just seems to be the 8th Gen rack with the problems. Givi do replace the broken parts but won't respond to any queries about what the problem is. However, every engineering type person who looks at is expresses horror that the bolt for the handle is right through the middle of the load-bearing stress point!

All that being said, not everyone has a problem with it so load it however you like and just check the weak spots occasionally :)

I have used givi on my 2002 VFR for about 3 years.

upto 20kg of work gear, normally 10kg-12kg.
Speed up to 220kph

A some point had to re-do the weld spots, some had craked.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Archived