Summertime "Cold" Idle RPMs...

• Member Contributer

Quick poll-slash-sanity-check.

Finally got my bike back from the shop after getting thrown over by an idiot backing up her SUV out of a parallel parking space.  $3K worth of damage (P&L). :mad:  Argh.

Anyway, I probably never paid such close attention but I'm noticing if I start the bike cold on a humid 80F day or evening, my idle speed is pretty close to normal idle, or maybe even a tick lower than normal idle speed or RPM.

Normal?  Abnormal?

Thanks...

• Member Contributer

Good to hear you have your bike back. Hope the repair job meets your expectations.

Wonder if the repair guys have had a play with the idle adjustment?, would also seem unlikely that the accident your bike had would effect anything to do with engine idle.

This might be normal for around 80degF, provided the bike rolls off the throttle normally as though it's warmed up. Would first set the warm idle back to 1200rpm and see how it goes. I seem to remember starting the bike on hot days that the fast idle was just about not happening. Winter here now so can't verify that for you. 

Happy Riding.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear you have your bike back.

Im taking from this you have no hi idle.

Once its come off high idle it should come back to normal idle speed regardless of temp.  Our temp varies  from about 45f to  68f  dependant on weather and mine always comes back to normal idle. 

• Member Contributer

ok, just up after a nightshift. went outside and fired up bike, temp 20C . Idle went up to about 2k then died back down to normal idle after about a min.

Hope this helps.:smile:

• Member Contributer

Just for you, I went outside and cold started my 6th gen in temps around 80*F for your reference.

The sound went a bit funny; I think I put my finger over the mic or something.

20170705_154412.mp4

Bike was reading 27C air temp (google tells me this is 81F) when I started it after work today, starting idling at about 1100 - 1200 rpm, then increased to about 1700 - 1800 rpm in the 20 or 30 seconds it took me to get my gloves on and pull away.

Hope that's of some use

Archived