Handlebar help, please!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I have a quick question for you fifth-gen aficionados: will 98-99 MY clip-ons work on a 2000 model? The PO of my bike did some retarded off-road handlebars and they hit the front fairing and windscreen because they are so ridiculously high. The two types of handlebars have different model numbers, but I can't see why they would change them mid-generation... Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, thatVFRguy said:

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I have a quick question for you fifth-gen aficionados: will 98-99 MY clip-ons work on a 2000 model? The PO of my bike did some retarded off-road handlebars and they hit the front fairing and windscreen because they are so ridiculously high. The two types of handlebars have different model numbers, but I can't see why they would change them mid-generation... Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yes the MK1 clip ons should go on a MK2 model no problem, although I seem to remember that the clamp bolt location is different between the two. No matter, with the 41mm forks, again should be no problem. 

• Member Contributer

Surely the only reason for the interference is the location of the post off the bottom of the bars that engages with the cutout in the clamp? If you grind that off, the bars can be positioned normally. There is plenty of clamping force to stop the bars spinning on the fork, but you will need to manually align them to get them even. Lots of aftermarket raised bars fit like this.  

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Terry said:

Surely the only reason for the interference is the location of the post off the bottom of the bars that engages with the cutout in the clamp? If you grind that off, the bars can be positioned normally. There is plenty of clamping force to stop the bars spinning on the fork, but you will need to manually align them to get them even. Lots of aftermarket raised bars fit like this.  

I concur.

I think those "dirt bike bars" might be spiegler superbike bars. Someone here might be happy to have them.

27 minutes ago, RDMcD said:

I think those "dirt bike bars" might be spiegler superbike bars. Someone here might be happy to have them.

If so the riser clamps should say LSL on them. And if adjusted right it should not hit anything, I have them on my VFR.

I've used that cutout method, but not only orientation, but height are different... I's all up to you, but i gave up and payed a new one (previous owner had one of each kind) i can't even understand why he did that.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Terry said:

Agree with that.... I am using 4th gen bars and not using the bar locators. 

@thatVFRguy - If you can handle a hacksaw and a file, just cut the bar locator pins off and you could save some $. Vega is right, Its not a drop in. 

On 7/4/2017 at 5:23 PM, RDMcD said:

I concur.

23 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

If so the riser clamps should say LSL on them. And if adjusted right it should not hit anything, I have them on my VFR.

Unfortunately, they really are off-road bars. The PO couldn't find the stockers and it looks like I need to replace the front windscreen and cowl at some point. The bike runs great, though, only 20k. Got a solid deal, as well.

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1347.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

• Member Contributer

It's a common-ish modification with its own sticky here http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/37908-adding-superbike-bars-to-your-bike/

On the 5th & 6th gen bikes there's sufficient clearance for most bars but I guess your PO chose a higher rise and pullback. And he would have drilled the triple clamp to attach the risers. If it was an LSL Superbike bar kit, there would have been special adapters that attach to the top fork - no drilling required.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

You don't need the orientation stud. Grind it off if you can't source a upper bridge to go with them. Then you can sell yours as a kit. For now you may be able to rotate the bars you have slightly toward the tank. 

I

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help, guys. Ended up finding some 2000 MY clip-ons and have since installed. I can definitely see the attraction of the higher bars, but I prefer the bike to 'nudge' me into proper position ?.

Archived