Help! Questions about a vfr with 27,000 miles

Matttt

So I'm new to the vfr world iv been looking at a 2002 with 27,000 on miles on it. He wants 3 grand. Just would like some info on what's a good price? And what to look for? Thanks

• Member Contributer

Price is fair, but I'm sure there's a little wiggle room. Selling my 2002 w/ 38k for $2700 with good maintenance history and newer/maintained wear items to put it in perspective.

Service history, what's it like? 2002 was 15 years ago, so stuff like brake and clutch fluid hopefully has been serviced somewhat recently. Was it taken in for it's wiring harness recall? Honda will still do the recall work for free on it of course, but it's something to note. All wear items like tires, brakes, chain, sprockets should be inspected. Any upgrades to the charging system? The rectifier/regulator is somewhat of a weak point and upgrades are suggested.

They're awesome bikes and you'll be happy with it if it's a good example! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Going to jump in here as there are two 2002's for sale in my area:

Since this is the first year of the VTEC, was there any unique problems with it that got resolved in later years?

Did the fuel injection system change from the 5th gen?

Hope this helps Mattt as well.....

I wouldn't go so far as to say "unique", but the RR & Stator is the weak point on just about all Hondas from the 90's and early 00's. The VTEC engagement is allegedly more pronounced in the early 6th gens and that was address after 2006 I believe. Some people love it, others hate it. 

As for the fuel injection, I can't really say as I am not that educated about such things. I did read something about closed/open loops though. I would wager that no one is able to tell the difference in them though. If you are talking about throttle response, both the 5th and 6th gens are a bit snatchy when speeds are low and you are in 1st or 2nd gear.

If the brake and clutch fluid are dark and they don't have a receipt for service in the last three years, walk. Plenty of good examples in that range with history. Brakes, clutch, and fork fluid service gets expensive if you don't do your own. Of course this is any bike, not unique to VFR's. I've had 02, 03, and now an 07. The 03 with a power commander was the smoothest bike I've ever owned. Good luck with the search. Tons of good info on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/17/2017 at 3:57 PM, Sweeper said:

If the brake and clutch fluid are dark and they don't have a receipt for service in the last three years, walk.

that's bloody ridiculous, that is !!   :unsure:

Archived