Photobucket

• Member Contributer

Just wondering what everbody is doing since Photobucket is now asking for $ so we can have 3rd party hosting of photos. Jeez, I must have 400 photos stored on there, I'm tempted to pay, but thought I would ask what people are doing, since we all post photos.

Sorry if this is not is the right forum, I couldnt figure what the correct one may be. 

• Member Contributer

I'm using Piwigo, which is $40 for the year unlimited. Bonus since they are not selling your images to third parties and they remain full resolution. Works fine for me.

If you really want, you can roll your own Piwigo server and host for free.

So that's what's going on.  I tried to post a couple like I have in the past and got I need to up grade window, scratching my head. I found the raw photo instead thinking I'll look into this later.  Now I read your post.     But now you've got me thinking WTH. I've got probably 2000+ photos over there over the last 10-12 years  Sheesh.  what a racket.

• Member Contributer

I am downloading my images from photobucket to my disc, sort out what is worth keeping and find alternative storage online. Then close the account.

I did ask PB support if they could keep the current images "linked" as not now bugger the fora. Nope.

Should I get a request here to "reload" images I will.

But then again, the last meltdown and purges wiped out things as well. Nothing lasts forever.

That happened to me a few years ago with a similar, originally free, image server called image shack. I lost thousands of images many linked to tutorials I had posted on forums. I just didn't have time to download them all and upload them somewhere else and hadn't kept copies.

I now use Imgur. Thing is as any image host becomes popular they will surely do the same.

Lately I upload photos to posts on here directly via the app I use to view the forum on my smartphone "Tapatalk". Not sure which host service they use. Of course I can't access the server and organize my images and I guess by using this method they are no longer "mine".

This is the BB code that doing so produces (I just took a bracket off the end):

img%5Dhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170701/a45eacd50388cad262d51b95d438215d.jpg[/img

I'm pretty sure they used to use photobucket, now it says cdn.com

• Member Contributer

I used Photobucket for years, but they just got to be too much of a pain, so I dumped them and changed to Imgur. So far so good.

• Member Contributer

I suppose these are decisions made to increase profits.  I wonder if it works.  I'll be downloading my pics from Photobucket and deleting my account. My concern is the affect on the forums.  Losing the valuable collected experience of the tutorials (and all the work that went into making them for the community) is what bothers me most.

I used to visit Thumpertalk frequently a few years ago (despite all the annoying ads) for the DR650 thread and I took some time using the 'My garage' function to document all the things I added to that bike over the years.  It was a good way of sharing what worked and what didn't and a centralized place to add up the mods (though the $$$ can get a bit scary).  Of course, for every mod I added a photo, pricing, description, sourcing and evaluation.  Since these were added over time, it wasn't too onerous.  Then one day Thumpertalk decided to upgrade its forum software--and not include the garage.  No idea why, it was very popular. Users kept asking for it to be reinstated so they eventually brought it back--but all the previous data had been wiped. :mad:  Now I don't use Thumpertalk. 

I'm also going to miss all the great travel and meet photos here since I'm sure most people won't have the time to relink all of those.  You get what you pay for, I guess.  Which reminds me, I haven't made my annual contribution to this place yet! :idea3:

• Member Contributer

What bothers me is that they suddenly want $400 for the ability to hot link without so much as a nod that it was about to happen.

• Member Contributer

So... Just downloaded all 596 images on my harddrive.... How do I delete them on PB, all in one shot and then how to close the account....?

:sleep:

• 2 weeks later...

What else did photobucket think they were good for ? I bet their stock went up . I mean to get millions of users and then to hold your pics hostage like this ? I even ordered several canvases and pics from them . They lost my business.  

Archived