5th Gen Dash Electrical Issues

maddog

Bike: 2000 VFR with standard electrical configuration

Mileage: 100,000 miles plus

Issues:

When starting the bike, clock and tripmeter reset.

This does not occur every time, but seems to be occurring more frequently of late.

What could be causing this issue?:

I'm thinking

1) starter relay

2)starter button (switchgear assembly)

3)Battery

I welcome any thoughts from the collective which might help me resolve this issue.  Free, quality beer to anyone who can correctly diagnose the problem.

(You have to come to Boise to collect on the beer.)

• Member Contributer

Those seem to be the classic signs your charging system is going out...... Get a multimeter....

3 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Those seem to be the classic signs your charging system is going out...... Get a multimeter....

It does it even after it's been on a battery charger, which leads me to think it may not be charging system related.

But then, I'm no expert, which is why I posted here about the issue.

• Member Contributer

Clock and tripmeter reset is a very common "hint" that something is amiss with charging. It could be something else, but why not verify it? A multimeter is $10 - $25 sold near everywhere. Once you have it, then do the "Drill"......

Cheers

Clock on the display has a specific dedicated fuse and wire all the way from the battery to it... And it should not fail that easy because it is not conmuted when turing the key. You've got to check that lines from the batt to the display and ground all the way back to the battery with a multimeter to determine where the failure is.

• Member Contributer

How old is the battery?  I bet it's dodgy. 

If you're going to start swapping parts willy nilly, it's always best to start with the battery.  And a lot cheaper than a reg/rec or a stator...

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Remove front fairing. Disconnect connectors one-by-one. Clean and add contact enhancer. My dash was acting weird but charging was OK. I did this and the gremlins disappeared. I also replace some dash-display back lights while I had this apart.

• Member Contributer
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:53 AM, JZH said:

How old is the battery?  I bet it's dodgy.

My experience mirrors JZH's.  Plus, "the drill" requires a fully functional battery for several of the test readings to be accurate.  Start with a known good battery.

Battery tested bad, even after spending time on the charger.

Replaced battery, seems to have fixed the issue.

Will verify with a good test ride when the temperature falls from triple digits. I'm getting too old to deal with excessive heat, wearing full gear.

Archived