• Member Contributer

I found this clip on You Tube.  This should be a Honda commercial.  Its inspirational.  So why do you ride?  I ride for transportation and for fun.

Def worth watching again. :beer:

Dad might like it, he's that age and used to ride years ago.

Mom would not like it though.

At 80 yo you can't afford to fall, that would probably be it for you.

Cool video.

• Member Contributer

I ride to live and live to ride LOL! 

I ride when I commute because it's the best way to deal with the traffic here in California. I ride for fun on the weekends because, well... it's FUN!

• Member Contributer

I ride for the loneliness

Just me and my ride.

No family, no work, no "must do".

Bliss.

• Member Contributer

great to watch,the frightening thing is that I'm 16 years away from that age!,I reckon 'my generation' have a different outlook than our parents to life so hopefully we will enjoy old age

I ride since 2007 when i was 18 yo, on 2011 i broke my left femur when a car cutting lanes run over me and my kawasaki gpz500. That time i were told to let bikes alone and buy a 4wheeler, and i did buy one, but it was not ok, i needed my space, my loneliness, my freedom back, in the mean time i met a girl and we got children, we are currently waiting for the 3rd one for november... And she was the one who told me to go and get a bike... I did first get a suzuki gsf bandit 400 all modded with yahama r6 rear shock, lower clipon handlebars cafe racer style, a sweet ride, very agyle and later my all time wanted 5th gen that waits for me on the garage right now... It was all broken as the PO was a little chavvy, i ended up fully diassembling it and finded the lower steering bearing broken and a hole in the frame on that location. I took the frame to solder and machine on the lathe and rebuild the entire bike to its actual shape and now is a love/hate relationship... I keep investing money on her but she is not going to be the best in shape you could find (something like myself) but what does not kill you makes you stronger ;)

Oh, and on the mean time since i broke my leg i studied mechanics and now (last exam a month ago) i'm fully qualifyed to do all that things i already did

Sorry for the long text.. I ride for passion.

• Member Contributer

Awesome!!!  It would be interesting to hear these gentlemen's stories and how they prepped for their adventure.

• Member Contributer

I developed a sciatic problem and was afraid of dropping the bike but since I got back on I think it has helped me.  It definitely takes away the stress of work.?

• Member Contributer

Recreation in a word.  

• 2 months later...

It's cheaper than therapy.  :wink:

But seriously, it's "me" time where I can lose myself in the riding, letting everything fall away for a few hours or, if I'm lucky, a few days.  I feel free, or at least as free as I'll be for many years.  I also enjoy the reward of seeing beautiful scenery through my helmet visor and not from inside a cage.  There's also the challenge of carving corners as quickly and efficiently as possible, even with my limited skills.  I enjoy being a little different, too, which I suppose is one more reason I love my VFR.  Lastly, it's just more fun than being in the car, and it gets better fuel economy, too.

Truth be told, I also enjoy seeing people's reactions when I tell them I've toured around all the Great Lakes, done several 600-mile days, and how many miles are on my VFR.  Call it smugness if you want, but I'm proud of those accomplishments.

Edit:  Just watched the video in the original post above.  I didn't get to watch it yesterday.  It is inspirational.  I would love to still be living it up like that at 80!

"You don't stop riding because you're getting old, but you get old when you stop riding".  That pretty much describes me.  About 10 years ago I liquidated my bikes and other toys, paid everything off, and bought some property in the country and retired.  Life wasn't that bad, but when I stopped riding I also stopped jumping out of airplanes, flying airplanes, rappelling and some other adventure type activities, and I started going down hill and feeling very old.  In February this past year, I started riding again.  I have a lot more passion for it than I can give up.  I feel much better now.  I don't ride everyday like I used to, but whether I'm solo (I like being solo), or with the wife 2-up (I like when we ride together), it's much more enjoyable.  I guess it is fun, enjoyable, and even times exciting, but more so it feels like, well.......LIFE

Max-03.png

• Member Contributer

Since I have started riding everyday I have to admit riding seems as normal as driving a car did at times. I start to question my motivation to ride on the weekends. I think new riding situations are called for. Motorcycle touring adventures, group rides, dirtbiking,  track days and just joining new rider groups all help keep the two wheel fires burning. 

• Member Contributer

There's a movie called  Why we  ride ,, very cool,  in China, for them to share the movie, there is a Honda changed the views of the United States for motorcycles, and the world's fastest salt lake test at 420 kilometers per hour, is also a Honda's car, really want to know, that is what kind of motorcycle?

• Member Contributer

I ride because....Why Not?

I ride because... Traffic!    filtering (lane splitting), front of the queue at lights/junctions. shortens every journey.

I ride because... The sun is shining (But don't not ride because it's raining)

I ride because of the scenery, . . .  my reasons are endless.

I ride for many reasons, therapy, as in just getting away. For the challenge, especially on the track. Doing a  "perfect lap" is difficult, doing several in a row, is even more difficult! I ride for the solitude, to tune out the problems in the world, and focus on riding. i ride for the friends, some of the best people that I have met have come from this forum. Those are just a few of the reasons why I ride.

I was born in Taiwan, I grew up where 2-wheel vehicles outnumber cars. 

Since the age of 4 or 5, my older sister have been carrying me on her 50cc scooter, with my other older sister. 

At the age of 15, I came to the US. When I turned 16, I pedaled across the continental US on a Huffy 10-speed with local YMCA group of 9 teenagers with 2 adults. 

That was before time of cell phones, nowadays I doubt any parents would allow such trip with their teens. 

I started motorcycling when I was stationed in Germany, I rode a 83 Kawasaki from the coast of Belgium to the coast of Black Sea in Romania, through war-torn countries and places without roads. My second deployment was in Kuwait & Iraq, I didn't get to ride around much other than beat up bicycles & scooters near the bases. Even during times of war I needed to get my 2-wheel fix, probably not the smartest thing I've done. 

Returning to the US took some adjustment, I never felt comfortable driving cars, but riding a bicycle, scooter or motorcycle I had no problem. 

Something to do with operating within close proximity of cars keeps me alert and distract me from the bad stuff. 

I've been riding in US for nearly 20 years, done some track days, but never quite catch the bug after replacing 6-sets of tires in one season; probably better for my wallet. 

I like seeing the world on 2-wheel.. on a bicycle or scooter is a slower pace, allows me to meet people and relate to them in a different way than driving a car or visiting as a tourist. On a motorcycle I travel far more distance in shorter time, but still retain some of the "earthy" feel when you meet new people. 

On 2-wheel is where I find my peace, clears my head and make everything alright. 

• Member Contributer

T

On 9/29/2017 at 8:34 PM, Samuelx said:

Why We Ride .m4v file

Thank you Samuelx! That is fabulous. Inspirational. 

I ride for the adrenaline. In the moment focus. G forces and scaring myself. Seeing the country and sharing in a community. And that's just for starters.:wheel:

• Member Contributer
On 28-9-2017 at 1:37 PM, douglasthecook said:

I ride for many reasons, therapy, as in just getting away. For the challenge, especially on the track. Doing a  "perfect lap" is difficult, doing several in a row, is even more difficult! I ride for the solitude, to tune out the problems in the world, and focus on riding. i ride for the friends, some of the best people that I have met have come from this forum. Those are just a few of the reasons why I ride.

+1 minus the track.....

15 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

T

Thank you Samuelx! That is fabulous. Inspirational. 

I ride for the adrenaline. In the moment focus. G forces and scaring myself. Seeing the country and sharing in a community. And that's just for starters.:wheel:

You're welcome Max, any time!  :)

• Member Contributer

The commercial is fairly inspirational from the "use your life while you have it,. otherwise why do you have it?" point of view.

I ride because its excellent recreation. Its fun, its challenging, its thrilling, I meet interesting people, I see interesting places, and I'm constantly learning. Because of riding I've had experiences that many of my colleagues never had while they were busy putting off their life until after retirement.

I've seen the top of the world, I've raced through deserts. I've partied with 1%er bikers and met MotoGP champions. I've lived in the moment for hours at a time, cornering through racetracks and canyon roads, travelling well over a hundred miles per hour with nothing between me and the ground but a few millimeters of leather and plastic. 

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, lazyeye said:

The commercial is fairly inspirational from the "use your life while you have it,. otherwise why do you have it?" point of view.

I ride because its excellent recreation. Its fun, its challenging, its thrilling, I meet interesting people, I see interesting places, and I'm constantly learning. Because of riding I've had experiences that many of my colleagues never had while they were busy putting off their life until after retirement.

I've seen the top of the world, I've raced through deserts. I've partied with 1%er bikers and met MotoGP champions. I've lived in the moment for hours at a time, cornering through racetracks and canyon roads, travelling well over a hundred miles per hour with nothing between me and the ground but a few millimeters of leather and plastic. 

Well said!

Archived