What was your first bike

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bikermike1 said:

When you reached the legal age to ride what was the first bike you got. I had a CB200, not pretty but it was reliable.

CB200.jpg

Pictures please if you've got them.

Incredible it coped with those conditions, especially those thin tyres on sand.

f890ba74b30939148f23160739bd7707.jpeg
It was the derbi fdt, slightly different, but same engine... Something like the 1200 crosstourer and the vfr

• Member Contributer

This was my first "street legal" motorcycle,  or at least one like it. We spent as much time in the woods as we did on pavement! I still love the multi-taskers! 

th.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Typical American 20 yr old. My first love was a 82 Honda CBX1100. Great bike but i only managed a couple years before crashing hard.

• Member Contributer

Weren't a lot of choices from Honda at the time so I had a Honda S65 in 1963. No pictures as cameras hadn't been invented yet. :pinocchio:

• Member Contributer

My first official bought and paid for by me was a Honda XL125 (1976).

• Member Contributer

Suzuki GS750

Loved it until service guys messed up carbs.  Traded it for a Honda XL185!!  Loved that too.

1980-Suzuki-GS750E-Silver.jpg

Here is my first and second.

First picture was like my first bike.  Middle of June 1963, I reached legal motorcycle age(15-1/2 years old) It was an old 1941 Harley 74 knucklehead.  Stick shift on tank and foot clutch.  My dad hauled it around for years. I fixed it enough to get it running so he gave it to me.  Did not have a front fender like one in picture  but I did put on dual side pipes like shown.   Was my ride to 1st year in High School.  A second High School bike picture below is like my 1950 Pan Head Harley 74 with sidecar. Since I worked after school I could afford it even though $500.00 was pretty steep.   My bike was sky blue and that seat was really that big.  The side car was red just like in the picture.  I did not care that the color did not match. My girlfriend really liked going to high school in it.  It was also stick shift on tank with foot clutch.

41 Harley FL.jpg

bike2wSc.jpg

• Member Contributer

1969 CB250 

1968_Honda_DREAM_CB250-2-1024x683.thumb.jpg.8bd17466d105ad30180a8b02742d67d7.jpg

Not mine, pic from the WWW...

• Member Contributer

Technically, my first bike was one of these:

1987-vf500.jpg

Mine was actually a US-import to the UK, purchased in London.  But for some reason I convinced myself that it wouldn't last the trip I had bought it for, so a week later I traded it in for one of these:

Kawasaki%20GT750%20%201.jpg

I fitted it with a Rickman top box and an ultra-classy windscreen.  Shaft drive.  I picked it--not for its rugged good looks--but because many of the motorbike couriers in London were riding them, so I figured it would last the four months tour in Europe I was setting out on.  And it was fine.  Reliable.  Did the job.  And maybe I would have gone Kwackers for my future bike if it hadn't been for this:

vfr750f.jpg

I met an Englishman riding one of these in Spain, complete with a full set of GiVi hard luggage.  He was returning from a long tour--which had included Yugoslavia.  I was mesmerised.  So when I returned home to So.Cal. after selling my Kawasaki back in London, there was only one bike for me:

1990-honda-vfr750f.jpg?itok=R9TCyLA4

Which bike I still own.  Well, parts of it!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

2011 CBR250R at the age of 50.  Still waiting for my mid-life crisis to dissipate.

• Member Contributer

Honda Hawk, NT650GT.

Mine was a 2003 Suzuki SV650S:

Had the read seat cover, rear body matched hugger, tinted double bubble windscreen and a Yoshimura RS-3 slip-on. Even from the start, loved that V-Twin sound. That bike really sounded great and was an excellent first bike.

3quarter.jpg

assshot.jpg

• Member Contributer

Bought it when I was 15, got my motorcycle license the day I turned 16.maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.1ef211d2e09214f9eb4ae6d9bb8fa307.jpgA year later after a crash it became this, then sat in storage for 20 years until I sold it and bought a VFR.

IMG_0957.JPG

• Member Contributer

1986 VF500F.  Been addicted to V-4's ever since.

img_8761.jpg

• Member Contributer

1974 Honda CB125s I got for my 15th birthday. That summer my Dad and I rode from Jacksonville Fl. to Key West he was on his HD Sportser with me riding WFO at 55 MPH behind him. Definitely could not do that now! Had no problems with the Honda But my Dad's AMF Harley starter solenoid went out so every time we stopped I had to push start him. Great memories, we talked about that trip often bonding experience in my rebellious youth. Sold the Honda and bought a 1976 Suzuki RM250 and went motocross racing. Rode my dad's Harley when he was'nt looking.  Image1-1.jpg

Archived