Linking to Off-site Images

Hi fellow riders,

Something I noticed today;- Photobucket has changed their terms of service, which means that now the free, entry-level membership can't be used to direct-link your forum photos (which is ridiculous, when you consider that Photobucket provide you with the "[ img ]" tags/codes needed to do exactly that!). They were also getting silly with the number of pop-up ads, screen obscures, and other rubbish, so from me, it's buh-bye!

I've started shifting my images over to Imgur instead, which does allow direct-linking from a free account. If you spot any links on the forum with the Image Missing or Exceeded blech, let me know and I'll update the link.

Cheers - Cam

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, YoshiHNS said:

PIWIGO.

Not free, but really cheap for unlimited use.

I may look into this. It says it's open source and free. Is this the same software you're talking about. http://piwigo.org

• Member Contributer

That's it. $40/year. The administrative side of it is a bit clunky, but simple with low overhead. Full resolution is maintained. You can also pick the size of image to link by changing the diplayed image size on the site, then copying the image address to wherever you want to post, so you don't spam 20mb jpegs everywhere and annoy everyone. The older version of invisionboard wouldn't allow links from Piwigo, but now it's fine. Haven't ran into any issues yet.

I think the big issue for 70% of the people is using a smartphone with it. I don't have one, so can't speak of any experience in that regard.

I wanted to roll my own server, but for $40, it wasn't worth my time when I set it up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO
On 6/29/2017 at 0:10 AM, NZCam said:

Hi fellow riders,

Something I noticed today;- Photobucket has changed their terms of service, which means that now the free, entry-level membership can't be used to direct-link your forum photos (which is ridiculous, when you consider that Photobucket provide you with the "[ img ]" tags/codes needed to do exactly that!). They were also getting silly with the number of pop-up ads, screen obscures, and other rubbish, so from me, it's buh-bye!

I've started shifting my images over to Imgur instead, which does allow direct-linking from a free account. If you spot any links on the forum with the Image Missing or Exceeded blech, let me know and I'll update the link.

Cheers - Cam

As long as you are using the images for vfrd you can just use the vfrd gallery, its free and easy to hotlink into posts.

5 minutes ago, HispanicSlammer said:

As long as you are using the images for vfrd you can just use the vfrd gallery, its free and easy to hotlink into posts.

I tried doing that, but it said I only have about 2MB of space left... I had to go the imgur route...

• Forum CEO
1 minute ago, crakerjac said:

I tried doing that, but it said I only have about 2MB of space left... I had to go the imgur route...

HMM I think maybe I can up the quota a bit, holdover from the old server that had limited space.

• Forum CEO
8 minutes ago, crakerjac said:

HMM I think maybe I can up the quota a bit, holdover from the old server that had limited space.

after looking at it, I have the setting at unlimited? not sure whats going on?

Archived