Ecn Memorial Ride - NorCal / Sierras - July 22

BrianF

1 minute ago, St. Stephen said:

Lorne, don't bother with Ice House and Wentworth, Brian often comes up with goat trails that end up a big disappointment.  :wink:

Guys, the new bike is at the dealer for an extended stay, long story, so getting myself mentally ready for ~600 twisty miles, plus a couple of central valley crossings, on the RC. And how to squeeze two or three days of luggage into the tail cowl...

But I'll be there. You only turn 27 once.

I'd argue that, but it's true about 99% of the time. The diamonds are surrounded by much rough. 

Just bring a small backpack and shove it in somebody else's top case like I do haha

If you need relief from the RC, I'm sure you'll find many volunteers...:biggrin:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
6 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Lorne, don't bother … Brian often comes up with goat trails that end up a big disappointment.  :wink:

? Stephen, exploring is sometimes a reward unto itself. Besides, from the look of Brian's photos ?, we see the world in a similar fashion.

Otoh, I took my pal for a jaunt on Santa Rosa Creek road and he was … not impressed. It is a real goat trail; narrow, broken pavement and no centre line. But I wanted to get a photo of the bikes from the spot where Motorcyclist magazine had all those great cover shots.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Guys, the new bike is at the dealer for an extended stay, long story, so getting myself mentally ready for ~600 twisty miles, plus a couple of central valley crossings, on the RC. And how to squeeze two or three days of luggage into the tail cowl..

IMG-20170428-WA0052_1.thumb.jpg.8686d78c28d75fbe12f7d8a908077ea4.jpg

Bring nutpowder though and wear one of these padded bicicle undershorts.. :goofy:

So, in order to accommodate our "special needs" members, I'm proposing to switch the route to do the southern end first.

That means our meeting point for Saturday is the usual Sierras jumpoff: STARBUCKS, 1451 Hulsey Way, Manteca

Meeting: 9am

KSU: 9:30am

Saturday: https://goo.gl/maps/PYUacHU41742

Sunday: https://goo.gl/maps/mvoSA1D2e2L2

If you have any objections or reservations about this, speak now or forever hold your peace (which I wish someone would've done at my wedding lol).

Everybody cool?

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Lorne said:

? Stephen, exploring is sometimes a reward unto itself. Besides, from the look of Brian's photos ?, we see the world in a similar fashion.

Lorne, this was just my lame attempt at an in-joke. If you skip those two roads on your next trip you will regret it. Forever.

12 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Bring nutpowder though and wear one of these padded bicicle undershorts.. :goofy:

Good advice! Dutchy, every time I see a pic of your RC it has inched just a bit closer to a gold wing. :goofy:

45 minutes ago, BrianF said:

So, in order to accommodate our "special needs" members, I'm proposing to switch the route to do the southern end first.

Everybody cool?

Cool. Does this mean Duc might make the ride?

Turns our the RC has the same tank filler screw pattern as the VFR. Touring mode!

IMG_2195.JPG

32 minutes ago, St. Stephen said:

Cool. Does this mean Duc might make the ride?

As a side effect I suppose yes it would be easier for him if he can make it. Our short bus kids this time are Monica/Rich (who will probably meet us at Mt View BBQ and can't do Sunday), and Triscuit (who needs to jet on Sunday from the northernmost point. Makes sense since it doesn't seem to matter to the rest of us as far as I know.

1 hour ago, bayarearider said:

(what wedding?)

I was married once upon a time. I'm not now, so you can do the math on how well that went.

I exchange the burden of herding cats for pity when getting the group lost on ridiculous backroads.

• Member Contributer

Planning to meet the group similar to last year near Walker River, grab lunch with everyone and ride with you toward Auburn.   Thinking of the nice rain shower we had last year, we could use some rain now.  The smoke from the fire by Mariposa is hitting the area pretty bad right now.

Pic of Tahoe, hard to recognize it. 

tahoe smoke.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well, not looking guys. We are close and actually got a slight extension but that means working over the weekend! If some miracle happens between now and Saturday, I'll let you all know but at this moment, looks like I'm out. :sad:  I'll be sure to raise a glass in honor of Ed this weekend! Have a good ride and come back safe guys.

Cheers,

D

3 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Well, not looking guys. We are close and actually got a slight extension but that means working over the weekend! If some miracle happens between now and Saturday, I'll let you all know but at this moment, looks like I'm out. :sad:  I'll be sure to raise a glass in honor of Ed this weekend! Have a good ride and come back safe guys.

Cheers,

D

No sweat man, figured you were a long shot. If a miracle happens, just text me so we don't leave without you.

• Member Contributer

Nice improvement in air quality around Tahoe today.  Will see you all tomorrow!  Bummer you cant make it Duc.

Axis-SnowValley.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hey Guys,

I will not be joining until later in the day. If I leave here around noon~ish, I will do the route backwards until we meet. If I can't leave until later in the day, I will try to hook up with Greg, and see you in Auburn in the evening.

Jim

891 miles door-to-door. Shoutout St. Stephen for putting in 900+ miles on the RC51.

Speed limits ignored, brisket eaten, no breakdowns no tickets no crashes. Ed would approve - RIP buddy.

• Member Contributer

On the RC's admittedly optimistic odometer it was 1001 miles in 39 hours. Great roads to ride and a great crew to ride with. Here's to Ed.

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, BrianF said:

891 miles door-to-door. Shoutout St. Stephen for putting in 900+ miles on the RC51.

Speed limits ignored, brisket eaten, no breakdowns no tickets no crashes. Ed would approve - RIP buddy.

Nice..  Thanks for putting this together, Brian, and thanks for honoring Ed. 

• Member Contributer

That boulder looks more comfortable than the RC51 seat :goofy:

Nah, it is not THAT bad......

Archived