Ecn Memorial Ride - NorCal / Sierras - July 22

BrianF

Been thinking about doing this for a while...the one year anniversary seems fitting.

Back story: Ed (ecn) was one of the hardcore NorCal VFRD riders - he joined pretty much every ride we ever did in the last 5 years. Dude rode like a demon rain or shine, camped like a boss, and had a cracking sense of humor at brisket stops. A genuinely nice guy who seemed to spend every moment on his 5th gen.

On July 3rd, 2016 Ed was leading a small group of riders through a construction zone and was hit head-on by an SUV. He survived, but eventually succumbed to his injuries in December 2016. The full story can be found here: 

I (and many of you I'm sure) have been affected by Ed's accident and passing - personally I've been riding much less, and being more cautious when I do. But let's be honest - that's not what Ed would want. He'd want us all out there shredding in the mountains, making dick jokes, eating BBQ and doing what the NorCal VFRD crew does. So let's do just that in his honor.

I'm thinking a "Sierras Greatest Hits" ride - overnighter if people are up for it -  Quincy, Gold Lake, Feather River Highway, Wentworth/Icehouse, 108, Monitor...I see you salivating already. 

Something like this: 

Day 1 (overnighter): https://goo.gl/maps/ymxwQ31VGuQ2

Day 2 (overnighter): https://goo.gl/maps/9TKr4cU9PMC2

Or single day if your nagging wife won't let you leave for two whole days: http://mapq.st/2shVpAk

Please chime in if you're interested in the 22nd (or 23rd as an alternate), and add a note if you're up for an overnighter. We'll sort the final plan based on that. Looking forward to seeing all you hooligans again.

IMG_3289.jpg.355aa4d8c1e3a8566d05090cdae3f328.jpg

27418183291_7c8ed32dd5_b.jpg

27418556881_16e2a13c2b_b.jpg

IN:

BrianF (overnighter)

St. Stephen (overnighter, turning 27)

RC1237V (overnighter)

crazybrother (birthday boy)

RichVee4 (Interceptor)

Monicai3 (Triumphant)

tc339 (overnighter)

bayarearider (sort-of overnighter)

MAYBE:

Duc2V4 (has a job)

OUT:

jeffyjeff (continentally incongruous) 

jlpvfr (celebratorily indisposed) 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Oh I will do my very best to make this! Like many times I've had to miss events, project schedules seem to be the highest hurdle! I'll know more as July progresses but I'm aiming to be there!

• Member Contributer

Won't be able to make this one, due to the fact that I am eight time zones away from you guys.  But I'll be with you in spirit.  Thanks for posting this ride, Brian,  I'll be following this thread with interest.  I remember the first time I met Ed.  It was on one of those French Meadows Dam rides and I had been doing my best to keep up.  I was riding my 98 and our bikes were pretty close, serial # wise.  I asked how long he had the bike, to which he replied "about nine months."  How long you been riding, Ed?  "About nine months."   I just looked at him in shock and awe.  He was such a personable fellow, but he was fearless.  

2 hours ago, jeffyjeff said:

but he was fearless.  

This. TC and I had a good laugh once about Ed's riding style - I think right after the French-Meadows-Dam-late-braking incident. That's part of why it was shocking to hear he got taken out in the simplest - and in the grand scheme of speedy street riding, least dangerous - of situations. 

Makes me think of Nicky Hayden in a way. 

• Member Contributer

Well, July 22nd is my birthday so...of course I'm in. One day or two.

Brian thanks for stepping up and posting this. Definitely the greatest hits, including #1 with a bullet.

bayarearider, rc1237v, and ecn, left to right. Last time I saw Ed.

IMG_2062.JPG

• Member Contributer

I'm in! Not only does it look like some tasty riding, it will knock a few more roads off my "Bucket List"

Bought a Giant Loop Coyote bag, a tent and a micro-lite cot over the holidays and have not used any of them yet. Also have the two side hard cases as well, but still no liners - my wallet is still sore from the luggage purchase. 

- I can't think about riding the Sierras without Ed popping into my mind, as he and rode out and back together last time. I too think about that "possibility" before any rides, especially road trip rides.

RIP Ed

• Member Contributer

This is the first that I heard of Ed passing, I too will miss him. I know that he will be with us... I think I can make it, not sure about the overnight. July 22 is my Birthday too...:cheerleader:

I don't get any notifications from VFRD so you guy's will have to text me if anything changes.

VFR-2.jpg

VFR-11.jpg

I'm in as a maybe right now. Had a fishing trip planned but I think I'd rather do this. I'm gonna see about bailing on the fishing and hopefully will be joining you guys. Either for the one day or overnight. Whichever ends up happening

• Member Contributer

BTW, if I do make it, most likely I'll be riding up on Friday and staying the night Saturday and returning home on Sunday. Crossing fingers at the moment and hopefully will be at a place in my project where my employee can handle the remaining task, if any!

• Member Contributer

Fyi, for all you photo guru's that use photobucket:  

When you link a photo from photobucket to VFRD, this is what the rest of the world sees.  Only photobucket subscribers can see the "enabled 3d party images".  OK, so I went to the website to enable the images and found that it requires an annual subscription at $59.99.  no  thanks.

Untitled.jpg

Sad topic and a strange coincidence that July 22nd is my birthday as well. Is this a requirement? 

And since it is my birthday I have made other plans, will miss the ride.

On 7/10/2017 at 2:31 AM, jeffyjeff said:

Fyi, for all you photo guru's that use photobucket:  

When you link a photo from photobucket to VFRD, this is what the rest of the world sees.  Only photobucket subscribers can see the "enabled 3d party images".  OK, so I went to the website to enable the images and found that it requires an annual subscription at $59.99.  no  thanks.

Untitled.jpg

#DropBox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok4hvu1jpmd2v3c/AACS3UIuinXLcDaWjdSn0x5xa?dl=0

• Member Contributer

Am I the only one NOT born on the 22nd.........?

Awesome pics, now I don't need to go.............but if I have the chance..............I will.......

Brian, any ideas on the overnight location?

On 7/11/2017 at 8:05 PM, RC1237V said:

Brian, any ideas on the overnight location?

Auburn. It's 375 miles or so from Napa assuming we use the route in post 1. 

They have plenty of hotels and it will be easy for single-day people to leave Sat or arrive early on Sun since it's on I-80. 

Plus I hear it's a good place for eating BBQ and 12 slices of pizza haha

• Member Contributer

Glad I checked the forum today and saw this ride.  I think a memorial ride is a great idea and share similar feelings about the passing of Ed.  He will be missed and was one of the most passionate riders I've had the pleasure of knowing, you could always count on him with his red VFR being part of the group.   Would like to join the ride and see some old friends and share some memories.   In usual fashion I/we will intercept the group somewhere along the route for a day ride out of Reno.  I will look over the route and figure out where best we can join you.  

One of my favorite pics on my first Gold and Silver state ride with Ed.

DSC03214.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 7/14/2017 at 0:46 PM, BrianF said:

Auburn. It's 375 miles or so from Napa assuming we use the route in post 1. 

They have plenty of hotels and it will be easy for single-day people to leave Sat or arrive early on Sun since it's on I-80. 

Plus I hear it's a good place for eating BBQ and 12 slices of pizza haha

So we are staying the night in Auburn... As usual I have a Cousin and his wife that live there...:goofy: Is everyone staying in Motels or is anyone camping?

4 hours ago, crazybrother said:

So we are staying the night in Auburn... As usual I have a Cousin and his wife that live there...:goofy: Is everyone staying in Motels or is anyone camping?

But do you know all of the local CHP? Asking for a friend haha

You gonna do the overnighter or meet us there? I'm definitely staying in a hotel. Not enough room on the 6th for camping stuff. 

11 hours ago, RichVee4 said:

In usual fashion I/we will intercept the group somewhere along the route for a day ride out of Reno.

Sounds good, just lemme know. Always happy to have you guys join us. Can modify the route slightly too if needed.

WILL POST THE SATURDAY MORNING MEETING POINT LATER THIS WEEK, AS WELL AS PM EVERYONE MY CELL # (although I think everyone has it)

• Member Contributer

Crossing my fingers about being able to go but the project deadline is on Friday and it's going to be really hard to make it unless I put in some really long days. We also might get an extension on some room deliveries so there's always that chance. I'll know more closer to the date.

Booked a room for the Penn./ So.Bay contingent

at Super 8 Auburn, near 80 & 49. 

Super 8 Auburn CA  140 E Hillcrest Dr, Auburn, CA 95603 US 844-813-8752

Sat is a work day for me but will meet you guys Sat pm. Looking forward to it. 

Post any changes. Thx!

IMG_0569.JPG

On 7/15/2017 at 8:21 PM, crazybrother said:

I think that i'm going to stay overnight. We can share a room if anyone already has one booked. Which motel are we staying at?

Super 8 it is I guess!

• Member Contributer

Brian, sorry that the anniversary is of sad occasion. Still, it is always good to get out for a ride. Hope you guys have a great time.

My trip in early July took me over some of your route so allow me to offer these road reports. As regards traffic & CHP, well, you're on your own :tongue:

All these roads were in good shape and had no construction projects (July 3/4,  '17):

* Ca70/Ca89 Quincy to Graeagle

* Gold Lake Hwy: a little dusty but no showstoppers

* Ca49 Sierra City to Auburn: weird that some passing zones are so short

* Ca89: from Ca88 to US395: love, love, love Monitor Pass

* US395 to Ca108: from Walker to the junction is pretty entertaining

* Ca108 to Sonora: Strawberry Inn about the halfway point is a good place for a break. Lots of snow roadside atop Sonora Pass compared to the last few years

Btw, thanks for clueing me into a new route: Wentworth Springs/Ice House roads. I'll have to try 'em on next year's ride to Laguna Seca.

• Member Contributer

Lorne, don't bother with Ice House and Wentworth, Brian often comes up with goat trails that end up a big disappointment.  :wink:

Guys, the new bike is at the dealer for an extended stay, long story, so getting myself mentally ready for ~600 twisty miles, plus a couple of central valley crossings, on the RC. And how to squeeze two or three days of luggage into the tail cowl...

But I'll be there. You only turn 27 once.

Archived