Honda caught sleeping with the V4 revival

XRM

With Ducati about to release a high-end V4 super-sports machine, is Honda  with so much history with the V4 engine caught napping?

So who is copying whom?  Honda was accused of copying Ducati in the late 1990s producing the VTR series of bikes (sadly missed in their lineup today) and now that Ducati is producing a V4 does this vindicate Honda's belief of the perfect balanced bike?

So why is Ducati abandoning is trademark 90 degree V-Twin engine?  Has the Vee-Twin reached the economic limits of horsepower?  Is the physical size of the engine now impeding handling? Are they losing their Vee-Twin capacity allowance in racing?  Or are they getting a runaway problem with emissions?

Your thoughts...?

• Member Contributer

Ducati is going into the V4 because of WSBK moving towards displacement parity, no longer giving them more displacement for a V-Twin vs v4/l4. Even though the L-2 is really their recognizable trait for a while they recognize they have to modernize. Their 90* L-4 in MotoGP isn't great (its powerful but difficult to ride). Maybe they want to remain competitive in racing?

Big H has a history of doing what they want even though it doesn't make sense to the market. I don't think they'll release a V-4 superbike that would compete with the CBR1000RR though. Six Figure MotoGP replicas are outside of my caring because I can't afford them anyways. Honda's V-4 makes sense in MotoGP but doesn't really make sense for regular street/trackday/club racing sales because it would cost more than their flagship product.

In my shoes I'd sooner buy an Aprilia RSV-4RR than a CBR1000RR right now for trackdays and stuff, if I had $17k burning a hole in my pocket.

I actually think it more has to do with emissions rather than WSBK displacement parity.

Notice that the 1299 does not comply with Euro 4, I reckon they cannot make the 1299 pass Euro 4 and still make 200bhp.

We will never know the answer to why Honda isn't interested or concerned with a V4,  they made the unattainable, from that they seem to be satisfied, maybe,  no telling what they're up too.  But you would think they would jump on the ban wagon, at the least give Apirilia a run for their money, Right.  But,  oh well,  guess I'll have to be satisfied with what I have, for now.

• Member Contributer

1 hour ago, PeterUC said:

I actually think it more has to do with emissions rather than WSBK displacement parity.

The Desmoquadro is already pretty extreme in its bore / stroke ratio, yet Ducati would like to field a 1299 instead of an 1199 in WSB and it seems like they are not getting their way. 

That may have something to do with the sanctioning body no longer being Italian. :goofy:

Not saying your point on emissions is not valid, though. 

Also, Ducati has just as much claim to the V4 as Honda does, IMO.

• Member Contributer

I think what we don't understand well is why any make doesn't just offer up a bike(s) that will sell in volumes due to performance, and all the attributes WE (VFR owners) want.  Put yourself in their places.  VFR owners are a minority in a market that, to them, is probably very hard to figure out.  They cultivated that market by offering what we consider some odd bikes lacking what we want.  Then tack on emissions and Euro sound rules and it all gets to be a mess for the manufacturers and designers of bikes.  All that said, we bought VFR's then complain about them.  Who knows what's going through the minds of a bunch of Japanese people making bikes for us and other people.  Sounds like a brutally competitive market to try to serve.  Top all that off with a "new normal" economy where people just aren't spending what they were 12 to 15 years ago on things for themselves and new generations of people that nobody can figure out including members of that generation.  Better quit now....  

• Member Contributer

I just don't think Honda ever intended to market "The Perfect Bike" as the early VFRs were dubbed by the magazines. They want to build bikes that sell units and or win races. Those two things are inextricably linked. They are not going to develop anything that does not demonstrate it will do those things. And like Ducati they also do what they want when they want regardless of what racers or buyers tell them. So my oppinion is Honda built a great 8th gen VFR800. Historically the 1000cc and up V4 versions have been poorly received by buyers. I don't think they are in a big hurry to go down that road. But if Ducati does it and wins races all bets are off.

Factory Tuonos are gorgeous bikes but lack practicle wind protection and luggage options an all arounder needs. Where's the factory Futura? LOL. 

On 6/28/2017 at 9:22 AM, XRM said:

With Ducati about to release a high-end V4 super-sports machine, is Honda  with so much history with the V4 engine caught napping?

They napped through several years of ass kicking Aprilia V4's apparently. :sleep:

Only issue I worried about taking the V2 Tuono to Yosemite was the smallish tank / short range.

But it worked OK. Close face shield and ear plugs for the noise, and keep it under a buck thirty. Soft luggage ftw. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Lee we need to do a Tuono vs FZ1 comparo sporty touring trip sometime buddy. Write it up and submit it to the magazines for shiggs and gittles. Throw in a VFR800 for good measure.

They napped through several years of ass kicking Aprilia V4's apparently. :sleep:
Only issue I worried about taking the V2 Tuono to Yosemite was the smallish tank / short range.
But it worked OK. Close face shield and ear plugs for the noise, and keep it under a buck thirty. Soft luggage ftw. :beer:

Coming from a CB600F, I don't notice much of a difference with fairings unless I tuck in. Yeah, it's nice tucking in and being able to let go of the throttle at 120+ without fear of flying off, but I was expecting a bigger difference with fairings at sane speeds. Still plenty of wind pushing on me and making my helmet loud AF. People at work wonder why I wear earplugs.

Archived