Original battery

Pjcliffo

• Member Contributer
44 minutes ago, Pjcliffo said:

Does anyone know what type of battery comes with the bike, lead acid or agm?

Hi Peter.

Its both!, maintenance free lead acid AGM battery, Yuasa YTZ12S.  They are a top quality battery, just need to be on a battery charger/maintainer if you're not riding regularly.

Cheers.

Grum

• Member Contributer

Disagree.   Agree with putting it on charge if your not using it, but allow to charge then disconnect. Don't leave the charger on all the time. 

• Member Contributer

I'm with fink, charge overnight once every few weeks. That's what I do with my 98 and it's been happy a while.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, fink said:

Disagree.   Agree with putting it on charge if your not using it, but allow to charge then disconnect. Don't leave the charger on all the time. 

Hi Fink and Thtanner.

Some clarification - I did mention "charger/maintainer" which is the same as a modern Smart Charger. These have a charge mode then switch over to a Float or Maintain mode. These types of smart chargers can be safely left on indefinitely keeping the battery healthy during long periods of bike inactivity. Have a good look at the Yuasa web site there's lots of info regards charging and maintaining an AGM and conventional battery.

Regards.

Grum

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Pjcliffo said:

Thanks guys, I have a new protecta ic700 smart battery charger. You select battery type and amps, so agm and 1 or 2 amps?

Yuasa recommend not to exceed 3amps for a motorcycle battery..

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Pjcliffo said:

You select battery type and amps, so agm and 1 or 2 amps?

I'd go with 1 A. Not that 2 A is going to ruin your battery in short order but slow charge is best, AFAIK.

I think my battery tender puts out 0.8 A.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Pjcliffo said:

Thanks guys, I have a new protecta ic700 smart battery charger. You select battery type and amps, so agm and 1 or 2 amps?

I would say go with what the instructions say.

• Member Contributer

Yes, 1A will be fine, unless you're in a hurry...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Rsparky said:

So, was my cyclegear guy misled? He told me that the ABS models are have smaller more expensive batteries. The yuasa model is the $200 that he quoted me. 

Pretty confident they're the exact same battery between ABS and non...

that's what i thought. his reasoning was that the abs module took up room in the battery tray.

if i find out otherwise, i'll let you know lol. i've had a couple more turnovers than usual on morning starts, but the battery rests at 12.9. keeping the charger in the trunk, and i'll push her till she leaves me stranded.

Archived