Help... 6g losing power

rhoderage

• Member Contributer

Finally got the 02 out for the first ride of the season today, and it had a new problem... suddenly topping out or losing power above 7-8k, like hitting a rev limiter.  Exhaust was very rich - this was a problem I noticed last year, very rich and burning a lot of fuel.  I tried swapping a few maps on my PCV and when I went to a 0-map (no fuel adjustment) the bike revved much higher though did losepower at about 9k

Over the winter I installed Seb's clear clutch cover, and replaced OEM springs with Barnett, stock bolts torqued to stock spec.  Didn't touch any of the friction plates or anything else, simply removed springs and bolts and plate, reinstalled with Barnetts  Pressure plate was painted with high heat paint (*though some flaked off in the oil, frig - should i flush the it? anything else)?).  

Where should I start?  

Added a Pipercross filter over the winter, today was first time on it

Oil is brand new synthetic, Kawasaki S4, first time this has been in my bike (usually buy AMSOIL but this is what local K dealer carries now)

pre-existing PCV, (Autotune w/02 installed currently disabled), PAIR blockoff plates, snorkel and flapper are gone.

I tried to make a video of the sound... take a look&listen.

20170626_172029[1].mp4

...would really appreciate some direction.  I want to be riding but want to solve this properly!  :wacko:

• Member Contributer

Could it be as simple as a clogged up air filter, maybe the old fuel sitting in the tank for so long has gone off.

A weak spark or other electrical issues? Check all of your grounds.  The only thing that I noticed in the video was that your cam chain tensioner sounds like mine.  I put a new one on mine and it lasted about a thousand miles. Look up the rebuild threads or check the tube for a video. That's where I'll be headed next. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback... tomorrow I will pull the plugs and post the result.  

Grum - brand new Pipercross filter I just put in, so this is one of the few items I can cross off the list!

My first thought was FPR, or perhaps a leak in one of vacuum lines, so I will take a look at the condition of the hoses when I pull the plugs.  I recall that if the FPR is leaking fuel through the vacuum line that is a sign it has failed?

Most of the symptoms you describe would sound like a dirty/blocked airfilter,

Is the new one seated correctly?

Any chance of mice nesting in it?

Try putting the old one back in to see if that changes the situation? 

How old is the fuel?

Can you tell if the Vtec valves are operating? if they weren't I wouldn't imagine the engine would get beyond these revs on just 2 valves?

Archived