Twitchy while maintaining speed

joemaniaci

I've noticed so far this year an odd problem while attempting to maintain speed. Now for the first year I had this bike I didn't do the snorkel/pair removal to minimize the snatchiness/hesitation, etc. So 1) I learned how to manipulate the throttle very smoothly and 2) I know this is definitely not related to the low rpm throttle issues.

So if I am cruising down the street and get the throttle to where I am neither accelerating, or decelerating, I can feel it getting twitchy. I can feel it either slow down or speed up by just the teensiest tiniest little amount. I can even try to correct it and sometimes it feels like it then tries to counter my counter. It's like a feedback loop going out of wack. Any ideas? I do note it being most prevalent in 1st gear, and less prevalent as I move up in gears.

• Member Contributer

It's going into that closed loop super lean mode to satisfy the EPA.  IIRC it happens when you are in the area they tested, around 4-5K rpm and aren't making major throttle changes.  Opening it up snaps it back into open loop mode.  Take some 330 ohm resistors, pull out the O2 sensor connectors and run one across them so the bike won't throw codes.  Now ride it and see if that fixes it. You are now in open loop mode all the time instead of just when you're whacking the throttle. At least that's how I remember it.  I did the mod several years ago and I'm old and forgetful.  Instead of using the sensors to stay super lean, the computer is using a stored fuel map. 

Here's a how-to for you. 

These bikes are known for this issue. A couple of things to check that would change with miles:

Chain slack ( I can always tell mine is getting loose because it feels like the throttle is getting touchy.)

Throttle cable slack

Starter valve sync (shouldn't have really changed)

Archived