Need help! In Colorado with a dead stator and need to get home

nedhills

So I'm stranded in Fort Collins Colorado with a dead stator. I need to get home in Vancouver bc. Might be a shot in the dark but does anyone have a stator around Colorado? Any help would be great!

image.jpg

I remember a  friend had a similar problem. He bought a car battery and charger ran wire to the battery terminal disconnected all the lights and rode till the battery croaked then charged it up.

Far from ideal but it would work I think.

• Member Contributer

Not in Colorado but I have a rewound stator from my 6 Gen. It's my spare but I'll sell it to you, if that gets you home. Just cover the cost of what I paid for the rewind and to get it shipped to you. I imagine overnight might be a little pricey though.

• Member Contributer

I saw your PM only a few minutes ago. Glad you have a solution. Now I'm thinking that maybe the one from the 09 might not have worked anyway, I think it might be slightly different than the on the 02. I thought there was a change in Stator or Flywheel size at one point with the 6 gens, could be wrong though. Good luck with your ride home hopefully your solution will do the trick.

• Member Contributer

Ned,

First, is the stator completely dead? Two years ago atop Grand Mesa my '09's stator became weak enough that it couldn't keep the battery charged. After stopping for photos the battery was too flat to run the starter, but I was able to bump start and keep going. Managed to struggle to Delta, Co. for the night and a small local shop had a spare battery that would fit.

In my case the stator put out almost enough to run the bike and I could get 5-600 km before needing to recharge. With a second battery I could swap it as needed.

You'll get more life from the battery if you pull the headlight fuse and disconnect any electrical accessories (grip heaters, electric vest). O'Reilly's or Napa have small digital meters and chargers - I bought both during my bikes crisis and they allowed me to complete my trip and get home to Victoria.

DfC14030b_005.JPG

• Member Contributer

Good luck, nedhills.  Let us know when you get home.  I'd like to know how long the bike ran on a full battery charge.

Archived