Fuel pump not priming

HumalogAddict

• Member Contributer

Hey guys. I've read a bunch of threads on the subject but simply wanted to confirm as the owner's manual is pretty unclear on this page. 

My fuel pump is not priming. It does get the 12v for a few seconds after the key is turned on and the kill switch is set to run but nothing happens. Am I correct that this means the fuel pump is dead?

There are most probably other issues with the bike (it died on the highway and both the 20a fuses (original and the one on the vfrness) were blown) but getting the fuel pump working will allow to troubleshoot the charging system. Unless the pump dying caused a system overload that blew the fuses?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Well isn't that interesting....and confusing :)

I drained the tank, disconnected everything and set it upside down on my work bench and tested the fuel pump using two wires connected to my battery and it works. This confuses me. The brown connecter gets 12v when the bike starts and yet it does not activate the fuel pump although sending 12v directly to it from the battery activates it.

The shop manual states that if the brown connecter gets 12v and the fuel pump does nothing it is bad so I'm not sure what the next step would be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Perhaps the wire from fuel pump to ground is open (cracked, broken inside the insulation) or the grounding point is soiled or there is some resistance along the ground side of the pump. I assume you didn't use the pump's wires directly to the battery but some spare wire, effectively bypassing the pumps wires so I think that is all that's left. Unless the behavior of these pumps is such that there is a mechanical difference to their functioning when dry or immersed. Perhaps it's on it's way out and is unable to deal with the fuel ( load ), but can pump air.

Or the fuel pump relay is gone and needs replacement. It could give you 12volt but you wont measure resistance with a open circuit.

I'll check the wiring schematic later and tell you wich one it is.

By the way, wich year is your bike?? Cant see your profile on tapatalk

• Member Contributer

The bike is a 2004 abs model. 

It gets even weirder unfortunately. I plugged the brown connector again earlier today and now the pump works when the bike is turned on.

Wires to the pump that are damaged maybe? Can faulty wiring somewhere in the harness (bad ground?) cause such a situation? I had indeed used spare wires to test-activate the pump but now it works with the original connector.

• Member Contributer

I have ruled out the fuel pump as being the issue.

Please see this following thread for the exciting next episode in my electrical woes:

Archived