Honda takes 2nd place in Motorcycle.com's '17 Superbike TRACK Shootout

GatorGreg

• Member Contributer

The '17 CBR 1000RR just took 2nd place in Motorcycle.com's 2017 Superbike TRACK Shootout, beating the BMW S1000RR and all of its rivals from Japan - but losing out to the Aprilia RSV4 RR.   Way to go Honda!   Seems the main thing holding it back is a lack of hp at the top end supposedly due to some sort of EPA noise regulations?  As you may recall, the Honda recently took 3rd place in their '17 Superbike STREET Shootout where it barely lost out to the BMW for 2nd with the Aprilia in 1st.  Once again, they marveled at the sound of the Aprilia V4:   "Oh, and let’s not forget that mellifluous V-4 soundtrack that Honda probably wishes it could match like it did back in the glorious RC30/45 days.”   ARE YOU LISTENING HONDA?!?

Link to Motorcycle.com's 2017 Superbike Track Shootout article:  http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2017-superbike-track-shootout

Motorcycle.com 2017 Superbike Track Shootout video:

• Member Contributer

I'm very concerned about Honda losing this due to top end speed and HP.  This is a must for me as I'm trying to do close to 200mph whenever I'm riding.  Time is money "they say" and I just can't afford to get someplace slowly.  I know that kind of speed is unsafe so I just settle for a much safer 140 or so on a heavy VFR.  As far sound, I could care less since I wear earplugs and kind of enjoy being stealthy anyway.  Kind of reminds me of another post about noisy pick up  trucks.  They don't even know what cross over pipes are but they can win a NASCAR race....in their little minds.  This is another one of those WTF things.   

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Bent said:

I'm very concerned about Honda losing this due to top end speed and HP.  This is a must for me as I'm trying to do close to 200mph whenever I'm riding.  Time is money "they say" and I just can't afford to get someplace slowly.  I know that kind of speed is unsafe so I just settle for a much safer 140 or so on a heavy VFR.  As far sound, I could care less since I wear earplugs and kind of enjoy being stealthy anyway.  Kind of reminds me of another post about noisy pick up  trucks.  They don't even know what cross over pipes are but they can win a NASCAR race....in their little minds.  This is another one of those WTF things.   

LOL - yes it seems that but for the Honda getting passed on the long straightaway at I'm guessing 175 mph or so it would have been the #1 pick of just about every tester.  So for most mortals the CBR would be more than adequate.  What I don't understand is that when MCN did their Shootout (see vid below where CBR got 1st place), the CBR actually had the HIGHEST top speed of all the bikes (although they were all governed I assume) and it had WAY MORE hp in their test than in the Motorcycle.com test (179.01 hp per MCN v. 153.2 hp per motorcycle.com) - see screenshots from end of vid below.

The CBR tested by MCN was the "SP" version but I don't think that trim level adds anything over the base model that would effect horsepower or top speed (just better suspension, brakes and titanium muffler).  So that makes me think it's purely a Euro spec v. USA spec issue since MCN is in Europe and motorcycle.com is in USA - with the USA spec being severely restricted by its computer.   Reminds me of the situation with the RC213V-S where the European-spec bike has a claimed output of 157 peak horsepower at 11,000 rpm, while the U.S. machine only makes 101 hp at 8,000 rpm.

IMG_1530.PNG

IMG_1531.PNG

It's a TRACK shootout, not a commuting shootout. I think it was meant to be relevant to bench/magazine racers and those considering a new track or race bike. I certainly agree with your sentiment, which is why I chose the VFR and not a used literbike, but there is a place for it.

• Member Contributer

Does anybody really read those magazines?  They remind me of my local newspaper.  There is one but nobody I know reads the fake news in it.   

Are those numbers really going to influence many people?  Fast is fast.  I still want to know HOW anyone gets 10K miles out of a rear tire......

I look occasionally to drool over new bikes and new technology. I'm riding a VFR, though, so obviously, I'm not too concerned about them. If you look at the WERA forums, there are plenty of people that want to race on the latest and greatest, where fast is fast, but faster wins. Also, well-heeled gents who do the same for track toys. Then, of course, there are the kids who will never see the track, but will buy the bike that did the best in the magazine test so that they can tell you how they have the best bike. Still better than a sales brochure, I'd say.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Bent said:

Does anybody really read those magazines?  They remind me of my local newspaper.  There is one but nobody I know reads the fake news in it.   

Are those numbers really going to influence many people?  Fast is fast.  I still want to know HOW anyone gets 10K miles out of a rear tire......

I watch the shootout videos for entertainment value. To find out how the new models actually are I listen to the well funded racers and trackday riders who buy them, and the performance shops that maintain/modify them. I haven't heard much about the 2017 CBR1000RR because there aren't many in the wild in the Pacific NorthWest.

• Member Contributer

Agree with the above. Having said that I have seen a 20 year old Cbr 600 run rings around  the latest technology on a track day toy.  Said owner was giving it blah blah blah  and pissing everyone off spouting figures. Shame he couldn't ride it the way it was meant to be ridden.

I prefer the more practical approach when it comes to testing. Will it do 100 miles between fuel stops better still will the rider? Can you store a set of waterproofs under the seat like you used to be able to do? and can you get 10k out of a rear tyre?

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Bosarge22 said:

I'm still wondering about McGuinness and Guy Martin calling the new CBR "a box of neutrals". 

Or the mysterious component failures that the Ten Kate racing team has had with the '17. Frankly it sounds to me like Big H didn't get their manufacturing back up to par after the earthquake that shut their factory down. Usually their QA is much better than that.

Archived