rear seat cowl

lee74

I recently fitted pillian handles to my 98 vfr, I was going to get a rear seat cowl but I'm not sure if the cowl can be used with the handles on . I had a rear cover previously but it got stolen and If I remember there wasn't any place for handles to pop through .

Thanks 

• Member Contributer

It's either handles or cowl, you can't use both.

Well, not unless you cut the cowl, I did for my rack that I use instead of the handles.

DSCF2370.JPG

• Member Contributer

You can easily cut out the cowl to fit the grab handles if you have a critical eye and a steady hand.  I used a tape measure, masking tape, and a sharpie marker to locate the cutouts.  Then cut out a small pattern and fit by trial and error.  Hopefully more trial than error.  Shown are pix of my 98 with the grab handles fitted to the cowl.  My Y2K came with a Corbin Smuggler seat, so I took the die grinder to that one, too.  Take your time.  It can be done.   Jeff J.

DSC01894.JPG

32359206200_286f47af02_b[1].jpg

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Terry said:

Nice job JJ; great photography too.

The pic of the '98 is mine, but the yellow bike pic was lifted off an earlier post from a PCH/Hwy 128 ride last January.  Brian F gets the credit for that one.  That be his bike alongside mine in the pic.  Probably the only time that day that I actually caught up to him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Loftust said:

Errrmm...why would you want to have the handles fitted as well as the cowl? A pillion cannot sit on the cowl!

Makes it easier to lift onto the center stand for tire checks and chain maintenance.   As a commuter with a 75 mile daily ride, I lube and wipe down my chain daily.

• Member Contributer

On my VTR1000, I have an accessory grab rail fitted permanently, makes it much easier to get up onto the rear paddock stand.

IMG_2180.JPG

5 hours ago, jeffyjeff said:

Makes it easier to lift onto the center stand for tire checks and chain maintenance.   As a commuter with a 75 mile daily ride, I lube and wipe down my chain daily.

The rear foot peg bracket works pretty good for me...

On 6/23/2017 at 3:01 AM, gig said:

or with givi case and handles you don't have to cut

I've had the Givi rack and JC Whitney knock off case for a few years now and just now learned that.

Oh well, if I'm going for more than a day ride I probably want to strap a bag to the back seat and hang soft bags over it.

Plus what would I do with my accessory plug? :rolleyes:

100_1290.JPG

On 03/07/2017 at 4:57 PM, jeffyjeff said:

That is a good point, and one I hadn't considered.

Archived