Vfr800 vtec 2005. Turn key, power- hit start and pop - NOTHING

Rs2k

Hi all

have a vfr800 vtec 2005. Not used her for around a month but she's been on trickle charge. Turned key today and lights come on etc and pump primed.... hit start button and heard what sounded like a fuse pop (around seat area I thought) ... so took seat off and checked the two fuses under there and they are both 100% okay....?  One for power feed and one on starter relay. both 30amp. 

The time clock still shows on the dash. 

With a volt meter on the battery it shows around 12.9v .... when I turn the bike on it drops to around 1v ...? That's on trickle charge as well :-/ Dosent make a difference if on or off charge. 

Ive checked all the wiring I can see, I can't find anything :( 

any ideas what would cause all power to be lost - not even lights dash and headlight/indicators. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a bad battery. Is it the original? There are tests to do (known here as the "drill") but you need a charged and healthy battery to begin with. But if it measures 1V when you turn it on, that's a pretty clear indicator that it's dead.

I had to replace my battery this year too. Similar symptoms except mine did as yours when I had the battery leads for my heated gear attached to the battery. It was fine without it. New battery and all is good.

9 minutes ago, auggius said:

Sounds like a bad battery. Is it the original? There are tests to do (known here as the "drill") but you need a charged and healthy battery to begin with. But if it measures 1V when you turn it on, that's a pretty clear indicator that it's dead.

I had to replace my battery this year too. Similar symptoms except mine did as yours when I had the battery leads for my heated gear attached to the battery. It was fine without it. New battery and all is good.

Hi thanks for your reply. 

What puzzles me here tho is the fact the trickle charger is plugged in so should show voltage from that at least with ignition on ? 

Would the battery going make a 'pop' sound ?  Deffo sounded like a fuse but there all good - at least the Ones I can find (two 30amp) 

• Member Contributer

I've never started it with the trickle charger attached but yes I would expect it to show 12+ volts. But then I expected my bike to work the heated gear battery leads attached too. What does your battery read without it connected?

The clicking sound you hear is your starter relay. It's in front of the battery box. 

1 hour ago, auggius said:

I've never started it with the trickle charger attached but yes I would expect it to show 12+ volts. But then I expected my bike to work the heated gear battery leads attached too. What does your battery read without it connected?

The clicking sound you hear is your starter relay. It's in front of the battery box. 

Hi

Im not getting any clicking, I had one 'pop' when I first pushed the start button and now no power whatsoever - no dash lights, no headlights/indicators or even hazard lights. Nothing. The only thing lit up is the time clock 

i get the same voltage reading with charger on or off bike - drops to near 0 when ign on. Can only assume was fine before the 'pop' as headlight was on as was pump priming and dash lights were all illuminated 

• Member Contributer

I still think it was the starter relay but you don't have enough juice now to activate it, or anything else, as your near 0v reading attests. Get a new battery first. Then if it still doesn't start, you'll have to do more investigating.

8 minutes ago, auggius said:

I still think it was the starter relay but you don't have enough juice now to activate it, or anything else, as your near 0v reading attests. Get a new battery first. Then if it still doesn't start, you'll have to do more investigating.

I can try a new battery but I am unconvinced it's that as there is no power to anything.  Battery reads 12.9v with ign off - but once turned to on drops to nothing ... as though it's a dead short. 

• Member Contributer

I was too. My bike started okay but when I attached the leads for my heated gear it had the same symptoms as yours. I even tried a different set of battery leads and same thing. In the thread I started, the replies I got were bad battery. Even my wife said bad battery. So I got a new battery and all is good.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/85676-why-does-my-bike-die

You can get your battery load tested to confirm that it is good. A bad battery may show 12v with a voltmeter but as soon as a load is introduced it will drop. 

Read section 3 Load test the battery - it is exactly what you are experiencing:

https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/how-to-tell-if-your-battery-is-bad.html

Archived