purchased a 1992 Honda VFR

Hello VFR community!
I just purchased a 1992 Honda VFR750 yesterday and super excited. I've been eyeing a VFR for the past few months and finally found one that I liked. I purchased it for $2k and thought it was a fair deal considering it has only 14k miles, a Termignoni pipe, fairly new tires, an aftermarket windshield and starts up cold with no hiccups. I do a fair amount of touring and wondering if anyone has any suggestions on side racks, pickings look pretty slim on the world wide web. Also, it looks like the R/R can be pretty finicky. Is there anything else that I should keep an eye on or considering upgrading/replacing? I'm gonna bring the bike to my mechanic, as I never fully trust used bike sales, to do a minor maintenance so at least I can ride through summer hopefully with confidence. 

Looking forward to be part of another motorcycle community! 

IMG_8807.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's a sharp looking bike! Side cases are tough. I always used soft bags, and that seemed to work. Regarding the r/r, I replaced mine with the shindegen and a VFRness from Tightwad (he's a member on the forum), along with a voltmeter that's wired to the battery through a switched relay. Test your current r/r first, and if it's good, keep that in a saddlebag for cheap insurance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Nice and congrats on a great buy! Is it silver or just the lighting? 

I have Givi bags on a Wingrack. That would be my recommendation. The hard cases are waterproof and lockable. The problem will be finding the fitment kit for a 3rd gen. If you're handy with metal fabrication you could get any case and make a custom frame.

Thanks! The bike is silver, I was looking for a classic Honda red, but I'm not complaining :) and yes, I'm a happy guy! 

Where did you source the wing rack? I'm open to having soft bags, i have em on my crf250l and they work great. I just need a simple solution to carry stuff for multi day trips. 

Also, there are boatloads of info re: R/R, can someone suggest a reliable, oem install? I read that Mike's R/R is a good choice, but I'm hoping to hear first hand feedback, if possible. 

Welcome! That sure is nice. I like the look of the smoked signal lenses. That is a HAPPY picture - somehow very refreshing! Here is my storage solution. There is lots of room for a weekend's worth of gear. Both are Joe Rocket. The tank bag is expandable and magnetic.

Cheers,

Glenn14070284.thumb.jpg.95986e85740ea875b4e7804bec5d3b64.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard! The 3 Gen is still on my list of desirable VFRs I'd like to have but alas, no more room at the moment. Congrats on your acquisition and make sure you pay attention in class here, as there are so many things you can learn about our bikes.

Welcome and beauty bike, nice low km too!

RC36's are the nicest year imo. I'm guessing it was painted as I have never seen that colour combo.

Lots of good info here. 

• Member Contributer

I think I had the Shindegen FH020AA. After eating OEM style ones like candy, I got 40k miles out of the Shindegen when I sold the bike.  And I cannot recommend the VFRness enough.  I got another full volt when I converted over from stock wiring, and the reading were much more stable. 

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond.

side cases+rack do occasionally pop up (over here in the Netherlands/Gemrany), but shipping stateside would kill the thrill for sure...

soft bags work fine, in combination with for instance a tail rack on which you can out a top box.

86-GT0036_gesamt.jpg

or

86-GT0436_lose.jpg

GIVI make topcase racks still I beleive

and with a little tinkering, 6th gen cases can be "made"to fit

IMAG4532.thumb.jpg.d4b07b1ae35a538f22077

Well, I finally got the bike registered and now I can ride legally on the roads! First order of business is to replace the tires. I checked the pressure the other night it was down to 11 psi, so there is a leak/puncture somewhere. Since it was a used bike purchase, I figured to play it safe and sorry and get new tires. I'm also looking at lowering the footpegs to give myself legs a bit more circulation. I sourced one from Knight Designs, but gonna research a bit more carefully. Any recommendations? 

The RR on the '90-93 spec Vif are OK, in over 100k I have only changed it once (unlike my '98 FiW)

Givi Wingrack, if you can get one. the best by far, but not particulaly cheap.

As for tyres, Michelin PR2/3 or 4.

I think you bike has been re-sprayed.

That silver is not OEM for 90-93 models and the decals are wrong.

Get you mechanic to check everything is straight

• Member Contributer

I second the knights design letting pegs. I liked mine. I had different experiences with my 91 rr than snowdog, but maybe I was just unlucky.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I did the wiring upgrade but i didnt know from where to splice on the stator wires?

do you guys go for 12 gauge right out the stator or you splice the 12gauge at the plug?

(for the vfrness they say to start from the stator plug but wondered if i should splice lower since the wires still get hot on stator side)

solder wires ?

crimp connections?

Any tip really appreciated 

thanks

• Member Contributer

The problem with upgrading the stator wires is that you can't easily replace the entire length, as they go all the way to the windings.  If you get your stator re-wound, however, you can ask the shop to give you extra long wires (long enough to reach the reg/rec in one go w/o needing a connector in the middle).

I beg to differ with Snowdog on the longevity of the '90-'93 OEM reg/rec design, btw.  The ones on my '90 FL taught me all about VFR charging system failures...

Ciao,

Archived