New "X" coming home...

WERA910

Judging from this particular forum, you'd think that the VFR1200x is not popular around here?   

Anyway, I've sold off my lovely 3rd gen and decided to add a VFR1200x to the fleet.   Going to Maryland to pick it up tomorrow.   Love VFRd, still have my fifth gen, hoping there would be some "X" owners here...  

I'll post up pictures after I pick it up... and then the farkling shall begin!

Have you ridden the 1200F?  I've got one and love it... AMAZING motor and brakes.  I know the X is tuned differently and whatnot, but I'm curious to hear a comparison...  Unless you want to take the long way home (through Minneapolis) and we can ride them back to back...

• Member Contributer

just demoed a 1200x dct this weekend at americade, I got the good slot and got a 2 hour ride on the thing, not convinced on the dct yet, in drive mode it wants to keep you in too high of a gear all the time for fuel economy reasons, but in sport and manual mode the thing comes alive and is a blast to ride. for me the seat had me crying in about an hour. overall I liked the bike, not sure if I like it more than the Africa twin or not, depends on what I want to do with it I suppose, the 1200 would do well at long distance rides where as the AT is more local backroads/gravel roads. let us know what you think of it

had an adventure picking it up...   left work at 2pm friday, loaded up a friends bike I was transporting to DC and headed out by 4pm.   Got into DC by 1am and ended up sleeping in the car.   Dropped off the friends bike at 8am and headed to dealer in Glen Burnie Maryland.   The bike wasn't prepped (as he told me was done on Friday) so me and a friend from Baltimore went to breakfast.   Back at 11:30 and bike was ready to go.   Finished paperwork, test rode the bike, then loaded on a trailer and started back.   Got home that night around 11:20pm. 

Sunday came and I went for a nice Fathers Day ride.   My wife decided she didn't feel like riding, so I went solo and got some time to explore the bike's handling and comfort.   319 miles total for the day, and got to ride some fun mountain roads in Georgia and Tennessee.   had the tires hot to the edge when I pulled over at mile 68, this thing really handles better than I would have thought.   The demo ride I did in Austin, TX just didn't do the bike justice. 

Michael

On 6/16/2017 at 8:41 AM, crakerjac said:

Have you ridden the 1200F?  I've got one and love it... AMAZING motor and brakes.  I know the X is tuned differently and whatnot, but I'm curious to hear a comparison...  Unless you want to take the long way home (through Minneapolis) and we can ride them back to back...

I have ridden the F.  I think it's a great bike, but I wanted something with completely different ergos, while still having Honda V4 character.   

• Member Contributer

Great to hear you are liking the X. Also good to hear you rate the suspension - I was dubious about the suspension on my 800X but on several x-country runs recently, it has surprised me just how planted and stable it feels and with the higher bars, steering inputs and control are much easier. Really loving my X.

I need to test ride the 1200X again now that I have put 10k miles on my 1200F. I need to decide if it is a viable alternative to the F should I decide I can no longer manage the riding position of the F. I really like the engine on the F and wonder whether Don Guhl could work some magic on it to "unleash the factory power".

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the last 9 days riding the X around the Ozarks and put another 1840 miles on it.   It couldn't have worked better on good pavement, broken up back roads and a few small gravel roads...    not likely to use it for any serious off road, but it was great on everything we saw. 

IMG_20170703_114232229[1].jpg

IMG_20170707_101355447[1].jpg

IMG_20170707_103847924[1].jpg

1 hour ago, crakerjac said:

LOVE those bags!

I love them too...

Ordered from a Givi dealer in Italy two weeks before my trip.    Came in half an hour before we were supposed to leave.     Luckily, I'd installed Givi racks a few times so it took me all of 10 minutes.  The new cam system of mounting is great and the brackets are quick release leaving only two small tabs in 30 seconds.     I had so much extra room using these instead of the soft bags I was about to leave with, that I ended up bringing both of our mesh jackets and several other things along also. 

Yesterday I went to Walmart with them empty and a shopping list.   I put a 28 lb box of cat litter in one with plenty of room around it.   The other had 6 pack of Mt Dew bottles, 12 pack of beer, and two bags of groceries...   with plenty of room.    And these are the 37 liter bags, there is a 48 liter that was 1.5" wider...   

Michael

IMG_20170707_103900674[1].jpg

4 hours ago, Skids said:

Why Givi bags rather than OEM?

Price, Aesthetics, durability.  These bags are Aluminum with thick, solid plastic corners...   I've seen photos after a crash and they held up quite well.    The factory bags are plastic and painted to look aluminum.   

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, WERA910 said:

Price, Aesthetics, durability.  These bags are Aluminum with thick, solid plastic corners...   I've seen photos after a crash and they held up quite well.    The factory bags are plastic and painted to look aluminum.   

Thanks!

I'm testing a DCT 1200X at the weekend. I want to see if the increased torque low down and lower rev limit are significant enough to factor into my decision making should I decide to sell the 1200F. I can't recall quite how I felt when I test rode the 1200X back when it first came out over here about 6 years ago I think.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2017 at 1:34 PM, WERA910 said:

I love them too...

Ordered from a Givi dealer in Italy two weeks before my trip.    Came in half an hour before we were supposed to leave.     Luckily, I'd installed Givi racks a few times so it took me all of 10 minutes.  The new cam system of mounting is great and the brackets are quick release leaving only two small tabs in 30 seconds.     I had so much extra room using these instead of the soft bags I was about to leave with, that I ended up bringing both of our mesh jackets and several other things along also. 

Yesterday I went to Walmart with them empty and a shopping list.   I put a 28 lb box of cat litter in one with plenty of room around it.   The other had 6 pack of Mt Dew bottles, 12 pack of beer, and two bags of groceries...   with plenty of room.    And these are the 37 liter bags, there is a 48 liter that was 1.5" wider...   

Michael

IMG_20170707_103900674[1].jpg

What model of Givi bags?

• Member Contributer

WERA - could you take a pick of the mounts and how they attach to the existing Honda pannier mounts please?

Cheers. :beer:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 8:01 AM, Skids said:

WERA - could you take a pick of the mounts and how they attach to the existing Honda pannier mounts please?

Cheers. :beer:

A bit slow on the response...  but...  here they are.

IMG_20170823_211646913[1].jpg

IMG_20170823_211655439[1].jpg

Archived