V4 wins Motorcycle.com's '17 Superbike Street Shootout

GatorGreg

• Member Contributer
Honda's '17 CBR1000RR made it to the podium coming in 3rd place in Motorcycle.com's '17 Superbike Street Shootout and beat out all its Japanese rivals.   The way they talked about the Honda at the beginning of the vid made me think it was gonna win the whole thing although they did mention the false neutral issue in the written article.  While it was still underpowered compared to the others in terms of peak hp they raved about its low weight and its excellent midrange power and that it also had the best weight to torque ratio of any bike in the test.

Alas, the Aprilia RSV4 RR took first place with the S1000RR taking 2nd just barely ahead of the Honda.  Everyone gushed about how great the Aprilia's V4 sounds.    I'd like to think the success of Aprilia's V4 will help convince Honda to build their own reasonably priced (under $184,000 preferably :tongue: ) V4 supersport which has been rumored for how long?  The article seems to suggest that Ducati is also set to unleash their own V4 powered supersport at this year's EICMA show and that this might explain why Ducati did not make a Panigale available for their test.  This doesn't make much sense though because they did provide a Panigale for MCN's '17 Superbike Shootout (see vid below) in which it got 2nd place behind the CBR - very strange they wouldn't provide one to Motorcycle.com as well.

I thought the matte black base model CBR looked fantastic (much better than the Aprilia IMO) and the LED headlights looked awesome.   I hadn't noticed this before but it looks like the LED position lights in the CBR's mirrors were strobing/flashing - I wonder if we could get the LED position lights in the 8th gen's mirrors to do the same?  Would certainly help with our visibility to cagers.  These reviews are making me want to take the new CBR for a test ride!

Link to Motorcycle.com's 2017 Superbike Street Shootout article:

Motorcycle.com 2017 Superbike Street Shootout:

MCN 2017 Superbike Shootout:

• Member Contributer

It's always amazed me how much value people place on how a vehicle sounds.  On motorcycles, I ALWAYS wear earplugs, so I don't really care what it sounds like.  Functional features mean much more to me....but that's just me.  Everyone has an opinion.  

• Member Contributer

Well for me riding a bike is 95% fun machine and 5% transportation device so yes all 5 senses come into play for me: sight, touch, sound, smell and taste although mainly just the first 3 obviously.  However, 2 of my most memorable rides were through an orange grove where I could smell the orange blossoms and on the beach where I could taste the salt air.  I usually wear earplugs as well but not until I'm underway and sometimes not at all if I'm just putzing around the neighborhood for a quick joyride.  Even with earplugs and helmet on I can still hear my exhaust clearly enough to enjoy the sonic pleasures of the V4 - it's very loud but that's the way I like it.

To draw a crude analogy imagine you were making love to a smoking hot chick - you wouldn't want her to open her mouth and sound like Rosie or Hillary in the 1st vid below would you?  Would ruin the fun!  :tongue:  Sure, I suppose you could put some earplugs in but I for one would much rather the woman sound like one of the ladies in the 2nd vid below (note: 2nd vid may not be work safe depending on where you work - LOL).

If I were going racing, I wouldn't give a damn how it sounds as long as it's competitive with the other bikes. I want to enjoy everything about a street bike, though, and hearing the engine roar is a big part of that. The only configuration I don't really like for sound is a parallel twin.

Surprised Suzuki didn't beat Honda. Their new 1000 seems really exciting to me.

6 hours ago, Bent said:

It's always amazed me how much value people place on how a vehicle sounds.  On motorcycles, I ALWAYS wear earplugs, so I don't really care what it sounds like.  Functional features mean much more to me....but that's just me.  Everyone has an opinion.  

I'm on the opposite side. I'm suprised how people could care less what the bike sounds. What earplugs do you wear that completely eliminate the sound of your bike? Seriously, I'm always looking for a good set of ear plugs to reduce the wind noise. Having sad that, an exhaust note is probably one of the biggest grin factors for me when riding, so I would not want to completely eliminate it. In fact, I forgo the looks for an awesome exhaust, because the looks only matter when you're stopped and looking at your bike, but the sound is part of riding!

Not sure about the new CBR, but I wanted the old one right up until I rode it.  It lacked character, and had a odd (for me) riding position that caused me to lack confidence in the bike. Before you blame the aggressive position of a sport bike, I never felt that with the 675R. I was comfortable on it right away. 

• Member Contributer

Yep, never been a CBR fan, not one CBR has ever lit up my eyes and made me want to ride it. The "Interceptor" on the other hand, had me at the first VF500! Once I bought my 09 VFR "Interceptor" with the 2 Bros exhaust already installed, there was no turning back!

In fact, apart from riding fellow member Thepretender's S1000R last year, I can't remember the last time I rode an inline 4 motorcycle. Everything I've thrown my leg over since I think about 1986, has either been a V-Twin or V4, including the Ducati 888 and RC45 that member sfdownhill had for a while!

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, GatorGreg said:
I thought the matte black base model CBR looked fantastic (much better than the Aprilia IMO) and the LED headlights looked awesome.   I hadn't noticed this before but it looks like the LED position lights in the CBR's mirrors were strobing/flashing - I wonder if we could get the LED position lights in the 8th gen's mirrors to do the same?  Would certainly help with our visibility to cagers.  

I think you'll find the strobing LED's are just an artifact of the video recording, a bit like spinning wheels appearing to go backwards or helicopter blades going really slow.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Tiutis said:

I'm on the opposite side. I'm suprised how people could care less what the bike sounds. What earplugs do you wear that completely eliminate the sound of your bike? Seriously, I'm always looking for a good set of ear plugs to reduce the wind noise. Having sad that, an exhaust note is probably one of the biggest grin factors for me when riding, so I would not want to completely eliminate it. In fact, I forgo the looks for an awesome exhaust, because the looks only matter when you're stopped and looking at your bike, but the sound is part of riding!

To answer your question, I wear and have worn "Howard Leight" foam ear plugs for years and I can hear quite well.  I believe they block the most db's of any ear plug or no other beats it, or something to that effect or so I've heard (no pun intended).  I have a box of them, they last a long time, are very comfortable, and just work very well.  I can't deal with wind noise well at all on a moto.  

I certainly respect your opinion.  I do have a slip on, on my 8th gen.  It sounds "better" but I really got it to reduce weight and to open up the exhaust.  The 8th gen., in particular, badly needs a slip on to perform even better at low RPM's.  It makes a night and day "torque availability" difference in technical mountain twisties where the torque is sometimes needed quick.  I ride as far from people as I can get because that's where the twisties are in this part of the country and I just avoid cage traffic to stay alive.  The only reason cages exist are to kill motorcyclists.  Ride with that belief and you might last longer.

; )  

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Yep, never been a CBR fan, not one CBR has ever lit up my eyes and made me want to ride it. The "Interceptor" on the other hand, had me at the first VF500! Once I bought my 09 VFR "Interceptor" with the 2 Bros exhaust already installed, there was no turning back!

In fact, apart from riding fellow member Thepretender's S1000R last year, I can't remember the last time I rode an inline 4 motorcycle. Everything I've thrown my leg over since I think about 1986, has either been a V-Twin or V4, including the Ducati 888 and RC45 that member sfdownhill had for a while!

Oh c'mon Ducy they're alright.

Sure the cbr doesn't give you that smile when you start her up but boy do you get one wot & twisties

I tell you what though, if honda isn't bringing the affordable  rfv1000 to market in 2019, both bikes are getting traded for the ape

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Terry said:

I think you'll find the strobing LED's are just an artifact of the video recording, a bit like spinning wheels appearing to go backwards or helicopter blades going really slow.

Interesting...the vid says it's in 4K - I wonder if that has something to do with it?  Weird that the LED headlights wouldn't suffer from the same phenomenon impacting the LED position lights.  See pics below where they're both on, both off, and one on one off.

IMG_1526.PNG

IMG_1527.PNG

IMG_1528.PNG

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

IMG_7517.JPG

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, boOZZIE said:

Sure the cbr doesn't give you that smile when you start her up but boy do you get one wot & twisties

I tell you what though, if honda isn't bringing the affordable  rfv1000 to market in 2019, both bikes are getting traded for the ape

I hear you, they just never did it for me and I'm with you too on the lack of presence of an RFV1000, when I'm ready to buy my next V4, Aprilia might be the one...then again, rumor has it Ducati wants to make a street going V4! 

• Member Contributer
Just now, Hammerdrill said:

IMG_7517.JPG

And where is that CBR now? And what bike is going to be in your garage real soon? Hmm, I rest my case! :wink:

I've thought a lot about trading my '14 for a Tuono 1100. They're too close in purpose (to me) to justify having both, not having tons of excess money. A big part of me really hopes to have the VFR until its major parts all give up, though, and I think I'd be sad to see it go.

I suppose my factors for a bike well they might make sense, but again they might now. To me, comfort has to be high on the list, as I will be spending a lot of time on the machine. The lust factor (looks/styling) is also important, and this is why for me, the CBR doesn't cut it. Honda hasn't made a bike that I've wanted to buy since the RC-51.  Now this is where I trip over myself. If the bike is gong to be a dedicated track bike, well comfort isn't as important as performance for obvious reasons. My VFR just got done with her Service Life Extension program, and will be my high speed commuter. I have wanted an Aprilia RSV-4 since I saw the first on at Valencia in 2009. We were there for the WSBK Race then 3 days in the track. The bike fit me well! Don't ask why I want one, because I also want a GSX-R750 as a dedicated track bike. The Aprilia would see some track time, but it would also live on the street as well. Honda had a really good thing going with their V-4, but got lost along the way.  I'm not holding my breath for them to come out with a semi-affordable V-4 any time soon. They have had plenty of time and opportunity to do do, but have not. When I am done working overseas, I will be adding an RSV-4, GSXR and RC-51 to my garage. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Hammerdrill said:

IMG_7517.JPG

Wish I'd been in position to scoop up that CBR when you let it go...you had it runnin' real good-like.

12 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Interesting...the vid says it's in 4K - I wonder if that has something to do with it?  Weird that the LED headlights wouldn't suffer from the same phenomenon impacting the LED position lights.  See pics below where they're both on, both off, and one on one off.

The resolution doesn't matter, it's the frame rate that does it. LED's are "dimmed" by using PWM, and that means they blink constantly at a higher frequency than the normal human eye can detect (some can actually see it, or at least feel it, and for example get a headache). The cameras frame rate can detect this, and some frames will contain a on state and some an off state, ergo they will appear to blink. What the cameras does is lower the frequency until the human eye can detect it.

Why you see it for the position light and not the headlight is basically because the headlight is stronger and the position light dimmer. And the actual LED is probably of around the same wattage.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Wish I'd been in position to scoop up that CBR when you let it go...you had it runnin' real good-like.

Yeah, I miss her. Walked into the dealership the other day and saw her on the floor. Kinda felt like walking into a bar and seeing your ex dancing on the pole while a bunch of dudes try to grab her seat...... 

Met up and rode with guy that just bought the brand new RSV4. That bike is sick. Electronics galore, beautiful fit and finish, and that sound. Even with the stock exhaust, that thing  sounds angry. 

He offered to let me ride it after the break-in period is over. I may just take him up on that. 

• Member Contributer

Saw this flat black CBR 1000 RR at my local dealer - nice looking but damned pricey.88144d2ff7f16a989866d3d542b0ed10.jpg20ef40145d7215bad278dd53d38b51a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Archived