Reg/Rec testing

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

Maybe it's been covered, or it's in the service manual, but I've not run across a good instruction for testing the Reg/Rec itself. Usually it comes down to battery and stator testing and if those are pass then it's the R/R. Take a look at Roadster Cycle's page of help videos. He's got a simple and informative how-to on it. I even figured it out and was able to learn a new setting on my multi-meter!

http://roadstercycle.com/Roadstercycle.com Videos.htm

• Member Contributer

If your R/R is fried replace it with Roadster Cycle Series SH847 Shindengen R/R.

SH847 SERIES R/R KITS

I fitted one on my 2002 VFR and it works perfectly. A constant 14.5 V at tick over and all the way through the rev range. Just had to make a mounting plate out of aluminium. Output leads go straight to the battery via a circuit breaker. You will not be disappointed.

• Member Contributer

Appreciate the tip, but I've been singing his praises for years now. First found him when I was looking for connectors to wire in my FH012 I got used on eBay from an R1. Very helpful gentleman providing the terminals and plugs I needed despite not buying his R/R. I think I'd like to try the SH847 but he's only selling it as a full kit for double the price of the FH020 with nothing extra, which is all I need since I'm already wired up for either. Already got a rewound stator too. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, KevCarver said:

Appreciate the tip, but I've been singing his praises for years now. First found him when I was looking for connectors to wire in my FH012 I got used on eBay from an R1. Very helpful gentleman providing the terminals and plugs I needed despite not buying his R/R. I think I'd like to try the SH847 but he's only selling it as a full kit for double the price of the FH020 with nothing extra, which is all I need since I'm already wired up for either. Already got a rewound stator too. 

Definitely a good guy. I emailed him a question and he answered it pretty quickly...especially for someone who was in the hospital getting his appendix removed! :ohmy: I can only assume that he was bored and had nothing better to do while laying in bed waiting to be released.

Marooncobra, got the exact one from him and also had to remount--- were did you put yours?
And did you change your stator as well?
Still have my OEM stator and probably 15,000 + on the new rectifier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, duccmann said:

Marooncobra, got the exact one from him and also had to remount--- were did you put yours?
And did you change your stator as well?
Still have my OEM stator and probably 15,000 + on the new rectifier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duccmann

I mounted in the same location with no issues. The mounting plate is 8mm aluminium plate and I just tapped new threads for mounting to the frame and for mounting the R/R to the plate. Just trace the R/R on the aluminium plate and cut out with a hacksaw. Then smooth off with an aluminium flap wheel on your angle grinder.

I also replaced the stator and found the replacement was the larger version so also had to fit a new flywheel. Apparently Honda increased the Dia of the stator and internal Dia of the flywheel to increase the electrical output in 2002. 

Archived