Intake valve chamber

Hi everyone, 

I've never posted anything here before so please let me know if I brake some rules.. 

I just started taking apart my VFR 750 from 1996 with the intention to check valve clearance and take the carburetors off and clean them. So... I just took them off and I could see for the first time the intake valves of a vfr, what I saw was not pleasant, the valves were covered in something that looks like oil rests and melted sand. I wanted to ask people here who know more than me if I should panic or for a VFR with 85k km on the odometer that's not unusual. I attach photos, perhaps not perfect but in any case the best I could do with my cell phone. Hope to hear some reactions!

IMG_20170614_193303.jpg

IMG_20170614_193108.jpg

IMG_20170614_193049.jpg

IMG_20170614_193220.jpg

Don't panic. The intake valves on my 93 ST1100 have looked like that for at least 15 years. It would probably (maybe) run better if they were clean but I am not going to tear it down to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

A lot of people spend a lot of money porting and polishing intakes for better performance, yours is like the opposite. 

I had my 5th gen apart recently with 100k and it was clean. 

I don't use cheap fuel, specially ethanol, and I use a cleaner in the tank once a year. 

Thanks everyone for your replies! 

I think the oil is coming from that breather hose which goes into the airbox, it's all oily around it and inside the air intake and box I see traces of oil. 

For the rest I wouldn't say it runs perfectly, I had another vfr in the past,  exactly the same and it was running better. This one seems to lack the power and also the engine vibrates annoyingly from around 4k rpm on, idling is sometimes 3 cylinderish too.  I just changed all possible filters, spark plugs and oil but as to valve clearances and carb synchronisation I don't really dare to attempt doing this myself. 

Maybe u need to clean the carbs to fix the running prob. 

If breather oil is being sucked into airbox and getting into intakes, that darkish carbon build-up is normal.  certain spray chems can dissolve carbon, and a toothbrush helps.

with valves CLOSED you could cleAN the area and blow out any debris with compressed air. 

• Member Contributer

Worn value guide seals? What's the exhaust blow out like? Smokey all the time- worn rings, puff of smoke after idling a bit ie at lights but clears quickly- valve guide seals, too much oil build up in air box-worn damaged rings from build up of sump pressure...
Yours looks minimal, if you can't do it yourself leave be! Set valve clearances and balance carbs, float levels are critical.
There will be a thread on carb related work, time to research! Or as you've indicated, ask for help from someone close by or a dealer....

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I can ultrasonically clean, adjust, and leak-test your VFR carbs for only $220+return shipping.  guaranteed results, over 40 years experience, 12 day turn-around time.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived