Average MPG for my 6th gen VFR.

neil.roy13

So I have owned my 6th gen for a little over a year, and it has been my first ever motorcycle.

It has barely 5800 miles on it and if those I only put about 1400 miles on it. I am stationed in Korea and it's my daily rider through stop and gotraffic. I might only ride 5-10 miles a day and I don't ride like a fool for the most part. With all that being said, I only average 25 MPG. That seems awfully low as I see the majority of people getting closer to 40. I only use premium, and here its 98oct. I am going to try and burn a whole tank on a long hwy ride but they are hard to do out here. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930L using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I would check the air filter and spark plugs first. Many times "critters" find their way into the air box and make a nice bed out of the air filter, often times bringing in other "material" to make it more comfy. As far as the plugs, check the color, you want a nice tan color, too light means it's running lean and too dark means it's running rich. The latter would definitely give you the condition of poor gas mileage. Another item to check is the coolant level and thermostat functionality. If the bike never seems to warm up, then it will fool the ECU thinking it's cold and thus enrich the fuel mixture, again giving you poor gas mileage.

• Member Contributer

I have a '98 VFR and I've never gotten over 30 mpg but I ride pretty aggressively. Bought it new so no critters in the airbox when I bought it

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Not sure how they rate octane in Korea, but Ix-nay on the 98 octane. Honda says that VFRs are happy with 86/91 (pump/research) octane, so mid-grade ought to work fine. Any higher, especially on a low mileage unit is wasted. There is some anecdotal evidence that mileage suffers (slightly) with overly high octane.

Short rides also yield poorer mileage 'cause the bike runs richer until it is fully warmed up.

Fwiw, my '09 VTec ranges from 30 to 50 mpg (US), with the lowest in cool wx on short rides near home. Long highway rides obviously yield the highest mpg. 

Not sure how they rate octane in Korea, but Ix-nay on the 98 octane. Honda says that VFRs are happy with 86/91 (pump/research) octane, so mid-grade ought to work fine. Any higher, especially on a low mileage unit is wasted. There is some anecdotal evidence that mileage suffers (slightly) with overly high octane.

Short rides also yield poorer mileage 'cause the bike runs richer until it is fully warmed up.

Fwiw, my '09 VTec ranges from 30 to 50 mpg (US), with the lowest in cool wx on short rides near home. Long highway rides obviously yield the highest mpg. 

Thanks man

• Member Contributer

I've only run 87 octane in my '04 and consistently get 38 mpg commuting.  My commute is a mix of 45-55 mph two lane, about 16 miles each way. Your short commute and stop and go traffic doesn't help, but I would think you could get more than 25 mpg.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, neil.roy13 said:

So I have owned my 6th gen for a little over a year, and it has been my first ever motorcycle.

It has barely 5800 miles on it and if those I only put about 1400 miles on it. I am stationed in Korea and it's my daily rider through stop and gotraffic. I might only ride 5-10 miles a day and I don't ride like a fool for the most part. With all that being said, I only average 25 MPG. That seems awfully low as I see the majority of people getting closer to 40. I only use premium, and here its 98oct. I am going to try and burn a whole tank on a long hwy ride but they are hard to do out here. Any ideas?

Stop and go traffic? No wonder. Do you get her out of 3rd gear very often?

Think about it, you're pouring quite a bit of fuel into the engine with very little go forward as a reward. I doubt there's anything wrong with your engine but the only way to know for sure is to get out on some decent roads, ride a steady speed and see if the fuel consumption improves, significantly.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Get off the high octane gas.  i'm on my 3rd VFR and they all run better on 87 octane (in the US).  You're in stop and go traffic so there goes any chance of decent mileage.  Also on a short commute your engine never warms up completely so you should expect poor mileage with all that working against you.  On the 6th gen. I had, I used to get 38mpg while flogging it in the mountain twisties.  Otherwise it would get 44 on the highway.  One of the reasons I'm still alive is that I don't ride in town.   What Duc said on the airbox.  

• Member Contributer

Agree with Bent above. Running premium high octane is only burning a hole in your wallet. The VFR does not have anti knock sensing so it can't take advantage of the higher octane fuel. All of my best economy runs have been on standard 91 octane (in Australia) and never gained anything trying the higher octane fuels. Also don't believe the advertising bullsh@t stating that premium fuels are better for your engine.

• Member Contributer

Your

On 13/06/2017 at 11:35 PM, neil.roy13 said:

That does not sound too bad for that sort of use. My commute is 5.5 miles each way in city traffic and takes about 20 minutes maxing out at 40 mph for a third of a mile, the rest is 20 mph. I have done this on the VTEC and the fuel consumption is abysmal, so much so that I use a 125cc bike, 30 mpg (UK) versus 152 mpg makes up for the lack of excitement.

• Member Contributer

My commute is about 60/40 highway/city. In the warm months, I see around 38-40 MPG US and in the winter it drops to around 33-35.

This is a bone stock 6th gen with just under 110,000 km. I only ever use 87 octane and here it's mandatory E10.

Your
That does not sound too bad for that sort of use. My commute is 5.5 miles each way in city traffic and takes about 20 minutes maxing out at 40 mph for a third of a mile, the rest is 20 mph. I have done this on the VTEC and the fuel consumption is abysmal, so much so that I use a 125cc bike, 30 mpg (UK) versus 152 mpg makes up for the lack of excitement.

That sounds about right. If I could own another bike, I would. Stupid Army/korea rules.

Archived