Headlight

afpierce489

Question

I have a 1993 VFR-750 FP, and I recently replace the headlight bulbs with ones from a local store.  I honestly didn't think about the wattage, but the correct headlight should be 45/45w and the replacement bulbs are 55/60w.  I replaced these this last week and rode the bike to and from work several times.  Today, I made a much longer ride.  I rode approx. 150 miles and then stopped.  When I came out, the bike wouldn't start.  I ended up getting a jump and took it to a local auto parts store who tested the battery and they said that it had no charge.  I haven't tested anything else yet, but my question is this, is it possible that the increase in the wattage of the new lights is too much for the charging system and it's draining the battery?  Any electrical guru's out there please chime in.

1 answer to this question

• Member Contributer

No. It'll have an effect but not enough to "kill" the batt, you have more complications with the charging system. 

Theres plenty of info to help on this forum, start by putting a voltmeter on the terminals of a fully charged batt while bike is running.....

Archived