VF1000F Axle Nut PITA

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

In the process of mounting new tires on my bike, I discovered that the 22mm axle nut is longer than the nuts used on my other Hondas.  I can't find a socket that's deep enough to grab onto the hex head, and the darned thing is too tight to break free with just wrenches.  I have to assume that Honda had a special socket that their service techs used to get these off.  I checked Craftsman, HF, and various other socket manufacturers and none of them are deep enough to accept the collar at the end of the nut.

Any suggestions besides trying heat and lots of penetrating oil?  I'm installing new bearings, so I'm not worried about damaging the old ones.  If I have to cut this off, I will.  There are plenty of spare axles out there.

VF1000F_axle_nut.jpeg

• Member Contributer

The best tool is the one that comes in the tool kit.  It's a closed end wrench that allows you to put a breaker on it.

I'll mail you one if you want before that becomes too far gone.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

The best tool is the one that comes in the tool kit.  It's a closed end wrench that allows you to put a breaker on it.

I'll mail you one if you want before that becomes too far gone.

Hi Mike,

I have the original tool kit, so I'll check to make sure I have the one you're talking about.  That nut was bunged up before I even started looking at it, so evidently the P.O. had an issue with it at some point.  I have a much better axle and nut due to arrive on Friday, so those will go back on.

Thanks!

Archived