Engine Question

Lannyl81

• Member Contributer

An owner with a 2005 is selling because of a leaking oil line, does not want to fix it.  Price is low of course, but am wondering if this is an expensive fix or not?  I would do the work, but have very little experience with this engine.  All I have done on my '97's engine is remove the carbs, split them, put a kit in each and replace the leaking plastic fuel tubes.

Would I be getting myself into a mess?

Comments, suggestions.....

• Member Contributer

It's a simple fix, but the parts are expensive from Honda. If you do a search I did a how to replace the lines with braided steel sheathed oil hose, much cheaper & will last the life of the bike. Mine was a 5th gen, your looking at a 6th gen, the details are the same, but the 6th gen cooler is in a different place so will require longer lengths of hose.

Are we talking about lines leaking or are we talking about leaking where the lines connect?  If someone has over torqued and stripped out the connectors you might have a more delicate situation on your hands, not impossible to correct with careful application of Helicoils or Timeserts.

• Member Contributer

I did the same as Mohawk as my oil cooler lines were badly pitted and rusting through the chrome. I also upgraded the oil cooler to an RC51. I tapped and screwed oil fittings into the oil pan and cut the fittings off the oil cooler and tapped those as well. Prior to installing the fittings to the stainless steel oil hose, fit a radiator hose over the stainless steel so where it touches any parts of the engine, fairing etc it doesn't rub through. You can secure it with heat shrink. Stainless steel hose is like a rasp on parts with vibration.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I have not seen the bike, only a picture, so I have no info on exactly what/where the oil leak is.  I asked if the leak was too much for me to make the 100 mile ride home and owner said it was, so I would need to trailer it home.  Just undecided if I want to rent a motorcycle trailer and straps, make the 100 mile trip with trailer to go see the bike.  Do not want to find out that the leak is due to a cracked head or something and I turn-around with nothing.

Also I asked owner if oil leak was bad enough to have run the engine low or out of oil.....still waiting for a reply back on that one.

Archived