96 Charging issue?

Bike will start fine maybe 50% of the time. The times it doesn't, it will work a jump start or pop start. I can go days without riding and it will start fine, go for a ride and then it won't start back up. Occasionally it will even die while moving slowly, such as when parking. Battery or r/r? I have the upgraded r/r but it may be the factory harness still. Anybody ever experience anything like this?

Spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, air filter and carbs were all done back in March. When it dies, it needs a pop or jump to get going again and then proceeds to run fine.

People on Facebook are suggesting to check the front spark plugs and somebody even said there might be a difference in winter/summer plugs depending where I live? Makes no sense to me. The only time I've heard of different temperature (not seasonal like one person was saying) plugs is for performance applications usually with forced induction.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Its hard to tell what is going on without a voltmeter which is why a lot of people find a way to mount one.

• Member Contributer

Always check the battery's health 1st.  If it's its dying, you'll have problems.  A voltage check is not sufficient.  Take it to a shop that will do a load test for you - that is, to see if it can hold around 10 1/2 volts for about 30 seconds while under load.  A DIY but less accurate check is to see how many volts it can hold while cranking the engine.   Once the battery is known good you can move on to check the charging voltage and system components.  Plenty of threads in the maintenance section on troubleshooting.

I've had a similar problem, bike tries to turn over but not enough power to get it going, had to bump it this morning just to get to work, got the battery on charge tonight to see if it fixes the problem..ohh and the clock reset it self

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, Geezer72 said:

I've had a similar problem, bike tries to turn over but not enough power to get it going, had to bump it this morning just to get to work, got the battery on charge tonight to see if it fixes the problem..ohh and the clock reset it self

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Classic charging system death....Go buy a multi meter, they're cheap and sold near everywhere. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got around to checking this out after riding around with a portable battery jump pack. The screws on the terminals had backed out slightly, causing the intermittent no start and dying issue as well. Tightened them down and she fires right up. Chalk this one up to not checking the simple things first!

• Member Contributer

Spark plugs?  Nonsense.  Muffler bearings, surely...

Ciao,

Archived