What was Corbin thinking?

WGREGT

Haha. I guess if you want large bags with a pass-through (I'm assuming) and don't care if you look like a dork, they have you covered. If I were the type to rack up 50,000 miles a year riding across the country, I might not mind looking like a dork, I guess.

• Member Contributer

Looks like an attempt at function over form. I tried beetle bags on my last 5th gen. They looked fine and are built super strong. The top loading top and lack of easy detatchment made them less convenient than Givi and the like. The only justification for those on the 6th gen is perhaps they stick out less than Givi side bags. Took mine off and sold them as i couldn't get used to the added width. Hit eveything in my garage with them.

"Do these bags make my bikes butt look big and dimpled?"

• Member Contributer

There's wide ass and then there is wide ass.............

:goofy:

P6217539_zps9d994692.jpg

• Member Contributer

Stability no problem whatsoever, got her 200kmh+ on the Autobahn, solid as a rock.

Never really tracked mileage on redslut so couldn't tell you.

Who is watching the mantelpiece when poking the fire eh? :tongue:

9.jpg

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Loftust said:

And there I was thinking this was a thread about Jeremy Corbyn :wink:

Me too !

• Member Contributer

I think the dimples were developed by NASA to cut wind resistance. Just like the ones on a golf ball.

They only work in reverse though. Or with a nasty tailwind. :pinocchio:

Plus, they don't fit a helmet, and everything you pack inside has to be unpacked piece by piece when you get to your destination thru a narrow opening. The OEM bag liners are an "open bag and grab bag liner and walk away" sort of thing, rather than make 15 trips back and forth between your bike and the room....in the rain, etc.

I see stuff like this and I ask "Did the guy who designed it (and the folks who make it) ever actually take a road trip by bike? Ever pull up to a hotel, at night, in the rain, after riding 10 hours, eating power bars for dinner, and have to be given a map by the front desk from your bike in the well-lighted spot up front to your room on the back side of Bldg. Q on the 3rd floor by the icemaker? Think that guy wants to make 15 trips back to the bike at that point? How's he gonna feel about your product then, you Jackhole?

I can sorta, BARELY comprehend these a bit more for the 5th gen owner, who's choices are thin when it comes to buying hard bags. Which makes me even more confused to see these on a 6th gen when the OEM bags exist.

• Member Contributer

I think they were developed more with the day ride in mind. Throw some rain gear and water bottles in there with your visor cleaner and powerbars, etc. and you're good to go. I certainly never cared how ugly my GIVIs were/are when on a long touring ride, just that they were functional. (And they are that, in spades!)

They work on the 5th Gen aesthetically but with the same smaller than the cavity inside opening. They are just hideous on the 6th! I'm not sure I've ever seen a pic before, certainly never one in the wild. Can't imagine they sold a lot, based on the number of VFRs I've seen over the years. 

Funny how GIVIs are ugly on 5G and Beetles aren't, but on 6th Beetles are ugly and GIVI looks pretty good. Conceding of course that OEM look best on 6th. 

Archived