Let's Ride Sat or Sun 6/10 or 6/11

VFR Capt.Bob

• Member Contributer

I just got the weekend off and want to ride both days. If anyone is interested and wants to suggest a ride location I am pretty flexible. I posted on a couple other forums so if I get a solid plan for Sunday I will update location and time for that ride. For tomorrow I was thinking riding to Wrightwood up Hwy 2 and have late breakfast there. Stop at Newcombs on the way back for a break. Then take Upper Big T down to Angeles Forrest and end up in Sunland to finish. Again I am flexible and open to what others can do at this late notice. 930 start from Shell Station on ACH just south of the 210 fwy.

I was thinking GMR or Malibu for Sunday. 

• Member Contributer

Well let's try again for Sunday. I know its late notice. Gonna just take a shorter solo ride today. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

Message sent. Time to update your bike list in your sig.

I didn't  get a msg.??

• Member Contributer

It was chilly heading up to Wrightwood via the Angeles Forrest / Mt. Emma Rd./Fort Tejon/Valyremo route to Big Pine Road. Ate a big breakfast at Grizzlies with a few guys from the OCMoto and VFRD forums. Last minute text alert ride. Worked out great. Took the VFR out again and came away even more impressed. Getting a real feel for the suspension and brakes. Lee, I should have sent you a text too. My bad. You would have fit right in with this group.

20170611_092828.jpg

20170611_082217.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm planning on going to Malibu on Saturday July 1st. Leaving OC around 7:30AM. As the date gets closer, I'll post up more info. It'll be a ride at your own pace ride and we do stop at intersections to wait for slower riders, so they don't miss any turns. We also stop at certain lookouts and key places where, again, slower riders can catch up. Not saying we ride fast but if you have never been to Malibu, the roads can be intimidating to some.

The ride is usually a few hours and depending on the consensus of the riders, we do sometimes stop at the typical "tourist" spots re:The Rock Store, Neptune's Net. Any one is welcome to join but please wear full gear and have a well maintained bike. The meeting point in Santa Monica is the 76 gas station at PCH and Sunset. Usually between 8:15A-8:30A, but I'll post up the specifics closer to the date.

• Member Contributer

Well, first quick update. Looks like I have to change Saturday to Sunday and considering the amount of typical traffic on a Sunday in Malibu, adding a Holiday weekend to the mix might mean a different destination. I'll let you all know where and when...

• Member Contributer

Ok, looks like the destination will be Highway 33 (Ojai). Hope to post the route with start location and start time tomorrow. Based on conversations with other key riders of the group, might be starting in the Santa Clarita area and ride toward 33 via Lockwood Valley.

• Member Contributer

Well those who are still interested in riding here in So Cal, we have the proposed route for this Sunday 7/2/17. Most of us OC and South OC riders will be meeting up in Westminster at the 76 Gas station on Willow Lane and Westminster Blvd at 7:15AM Sunday morning.

We will make our way to Santa Clarita most likely bypassing LA by going around the base of the mountains, rather than through LA proper. We will stop at the Chevron gas station at Sand Canyon and Sierra Highway and then head North on the proposed route. Normally we go on the proposed route but sometimes we may change it up slightly, if we find detours and or want a change of pace. We plan on eating at the Ojai Sports Grill (Close to the intersection of 150 and 33).

The ride will be at your own pace and for the most part a bit of a brisk pace by the leaders but we always wait at intersections and make sure the slower riders know which way to go. We do recommend full gear and a good running bike.

Here is the proposed route. Not sure when we will be at the Santa Clarita location but anticipate about 8:30-8:45, so if meeting there for those North of OC makes it easier to join us. If you do plan on meeting up in SC, please let us know via this thread or a PM.

Google Map Link

• Member Contributer

Looks like a real ride. I have word i am to work through the weekend in the Torrance Refinery. So can't make it. So let me give the safe ride speech.

You guys have fun but take your riding seriously, stay in your comfort zone. Stay on the road and in your lane till it is safe to pass.

One strong rider who knows the route should ride sweeper and guys in the front wait before the turn off. Not turn off then wait. Everyone waits there for the sweeper. Everyone gives a thumbs up before continuing. 

Anyone who is leaving the ride early should inform the leader or sweeper before disappearing on their own.

Be safe. Don't be That Guy. 

• Member Contributer

Well, made it back home and already had my first beer. Great ride today, practically no one on the roads we rode on, other than the main freeways. Great temperatures and even great road conditions, very little road debris and even had several courteous drivers pull over and let us by!

I'll be sure to post our next ride up and maybe some of you will be able to join us.

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, Samuelx said:

Damn, sounded like a good ride!  How many people went?  Hope to join you guys one of these weekends... 

Ended up just 3 of us! Two other riders had to back out and no one else on the forum seemed to be able to attend.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Samuelx said:

Bummer!  Well, at least you three had a good time!  :)

Sometimes the fewer, the better. It all depends on the company of course. We like to keep the groups somewhat small as it's easier to keep everyone together and makes it easier if making minor changes to the route or destination. Always better when everyone has a similar riding pace too. Hopefully you can make the next one.

• Member Contributer
On 7/3/2017 at 2:02 PM, Samuelx said:

Bummer!  Well, at least you three had a good time!  :)

I'll be taking my neighbor to Malibu this Saturday (7/8/17), leaving OC at 7:30A. Will most likely be in Santa Monica (Sunset/PCH) ~8:15A-8:30A. It's a casual ride to show my neighbor the Malibu area. He just moved up from San Diego. If you think you want to tag along, let me know.  BTW, this applies to anyone else as well.

Hey Duc thanks for the heads up/invite!  Unfortunately, I have childcare responsibilities this weekend (most weekends) so I won't be available.  If I'm able to drop them off with someone, I'll get back to you... 

Archived