Pipe & chip?

bobbyn

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, bobbyn said:

I'm thinking about a slip on pipe for better sound, but do I need to chip the motor to accommodate?

The short and simple answer = No.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Fuel injection has enough flexibility to cope with a slip on and improved flow air filter. Where a chip or PC might help is with improving the stock mapping which is leaner than need be. But if you have no real complaints about how tbe bike runs then leave it alone and buy a custom seat or riser bars or springs that are correct for your weight etc...

Slipons save weight, improve looks and sound. Power increases ar marginal.

• Member Contributer

No you don't.  My bike runs great with a Delkevic slip on with no other mods whatsoever.  And if I can believe the dyno chart on their website it added 2.96 hp at the wheel and smoothed the power delivery at the VTEC transition.  Coupled with the just over 7 pounds of weight reduction the bike seems a tad bit quicker.

product5147_27p.jpg

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Lol that dealer is either ill-informed or hoping that you are.

I mean, the ECU does react off O2 sensor readings. Not really 'learning' or remapping itself, but it will potentially alter fuel differently given different exhausts on-the-fly while in closed loop operation.

The last ecu only went under closed loop tuning, while steady/light throttle cruising. I doubt this one is much different. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
50 minutes ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

lets give the dealer the benefit of the doubt :)

Let's not go crazy here now... ;)

• Member Contributer
On 20 June 2017 at 6:06 PM, GatorGreg said:

No you don't.  My bike runs great with a Delkevic slip on with no other mods whatsoever.  And if I can believe the dyno chart on their website it added 2.96 hp at the wheel and smoothed the power delivery at the VTEC transition.  Coupled with the just over 7 pounds of weight reduction the bike seems a tad bit quicker.

product5147_27p.jpg

Spend a lot of time with the bike at 10k + revs?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Thumbs said:

I do spend some time there but whether it qualifies as a "lot" by your standards I honestly would have no clue - why do you ask?  The Delkevic dyno does show a nice plateau of over 90 hp between about 9,700 rpm all the way to almost 12,000 so I do like to tap into that fairly regularly.  Interesting that they show the stock exhaust hp dropping back below 90 hp at only 11,200, so the Delk exhaust seems to really help expand the hp plateau so to speak at the upper rev range.  There also appears to be a nice little bump over stock from about 3,200 to 4,200, another bump from 6,700 to 7,500 and another from about 8,700 all the way up to 12,000 although they almost converge at 10,200.

So even though the peak hp is only 2.96 more than stock there are pockets of extra power all over, especially at 9,500 and 11,000.  If you watch any of my motovlogs where I actually get out and ride you'll notice it's not uncommon for me to hit the rev limiter - usually on purpose :tongue:

• Member Contributer
On 6/20/2017 at 2:43 PM, Shwat said:

I was informed by the Honda mechanic that the engine will learn how to use a new exhaust.

He then tried to sell me the (very expensive) Akrapovic.

Trust in mechanics or dealers notwithstanding, the Akro is a more than decent pipe, and in some countries the Akro is what Honda themselves sell as an upgrade option.  As such, one of the things the extra coin buys you is the certifications that tell the police to bugger off if they're tempted to cite you for noise or an illicit muffler.  Not a bad thing to have in some places.  YMMV, of course.

And preferences for appearance will always be subjective.  Personally I could never understand what VFR owners saw in Staintune cans.

17 hours ago, Thumbs said:

You  can bet your ass I do.  and my mini delkevic makes the front wheel noticiably lighter in first gear.  I'll believe the 3 hp up top.  it definately doesn't feel any different anywhere else though.

12 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

And preferences for appearance will always be subjective.  Personally I could never understand what VFR owners saw in Staintune cans.

Don't you say that about staintune! :P

It's not about what you see with Staintune's, it's about what you hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been quite happy with my DELKEVIC TRI-OVAL 320mm SILENCER STAINLESS STEEL , the sound is good and throaty , not harsh, drops about 7-8 pounds of weight from stock, shows more of the wheel, and IMO the tri oval looks good.

But IMO their stubby is just to harsh. I think mine sounds good and just enough for people to hear and not near enough to upset the law. I run without the baffle, with it in the pipe was almost stock quiet. And the bike runs great, I don't hear any popping or other signs of it causing a lean run.

Archived