Peg drops: BLS lowering blocks vs KD foot pegs?

Grebnaws

Hi Everyone, my 1998 vfr is up and running pretty well so I'm thinking about taking it on a road trip soon. I have helibars installed and am now looking at foot peg options. The last bike I took on a trip was my 2004 Kawasaki zrx1200 and although it used to be comfortable 1000 miles at a time an accident has left my right knee aching much sooner. I had a truck pull into me on the interstate two years ago and I high sided a klr650 at 70mph. No "serious" injuries but my knee just isn't going to be the same again. Stock to stock the knee angle between the ZRX and the VFR feels pretty close and I'm confident that either bike would benefit from lower foot pegs.

I am trying to decide between ordering the BLS lowering peg blocks for $92 shipped and the Knight Design lowered foot pegs which are ~$130 or ~$170 with the rubber tread option. That is a significant difference considering the factory pegs already have rubber on them. Has anyone tried both? Have you noticed any functional or measurable difference between them? I'm inclined to try the BLS for the cost, but I do like the one piece design and aggressive tread of the KD lowered foot pegs.

Can only comment on Larry's blocks. 

Have had mine on for 10 years now and now and they're flawless. 

A little finangling needed for the sidestand and the brake lever, but since then, zero issues. 

I bought some Chinese pegs on ebay that rotate, mine are up and back a bit, but they could be used to drop them down. the pic below isn't the exact ones, but you get the idea.

$50 aus, so even less in USD.

CNC-Adjustable-Riser-Foot-Pegs-Honda-VFR-800-1998-1999-2000-2001

• Member Contributer

And I can only comment on the KD pegs on a 6th gen.  Love them. Direct replacement of stock and you're riding.

Thanks for the input everyone. The lowering blocks are definitely more work than expected. I wouldn't call those a drop in replacement at all, if that is in fact what the KD Lowering pegs are. I went through a similar process while installing lowering blocks on a Ninja 650r but without needing to modify the frame or kickstand for interference. It was a pain but it did the job, though I sold the bike after only 1000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

I went with the BLS lowering blocks and installed them a few days ago just before a 175mi ride. They are excellent and opened up more leg room than expected. Very comfortable and no frame modifications necessary at all. The only difficulty in installation was dealing with some of the damaged parts on my bike. One of the deciding factors for purchasing the lowering blocks was so I could keep the vibrating damping factory rubber foot pegs. The shift lever only needed to move a notch but the rear brake is as lower as it can go and I would like to lower it further, which cannot be done without more work. It's acceptable for now. Naturally the rear brake light switch had to be adjusted for proper function. I also discovered that the outsides of my boots grind pretty easily while leaning but I am also very splay footed and probably would not make contact if my feet were tucked closer in. I'm not a very hard rider and don't expect to touch the pegs down any time soon but I was surprised how easily my feet touch the ground now. Overall I am very pleased and surprised how much difference this simple modification makes and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. For reference I am about 5'10" and with somewhat short inseam of about 30" and can't ever see myself going back to the stock arrangement. The VFR now has a more comfortable foot and seat arrangement than my Zrx1200, though the helibars are still sportier than I'm used to for long distance comfort.