Need advice on purchase of 86 VF1000R

CodeRed

• Member Contributer

I found an 86 VF1000R for sale out of state. The woman says it was her husband's, and she kept the bike in a divorce. It has 29,000 miles and she is asking $2,000 including shipping from Kentucky, and even offered to pay return shipping if I dont like the bike (within 7 days of receipt). The bike looks pristine and she says its been professionally maintained and stored. She also says that Amazon.com will handle the shipping and invoicing and guarantee the shipment and return. 

She is also including an extra set of wheels, and pipes.

Does this seem too good to be true? The last VF100R that I saw for sale was around $6,000. 

I currently ride a 10 VFR1200F, and formerly an 87 VFR700.

I have NO experience with this model of bike, other than seeing them online and admiring them. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If this is a good deal, I dont want to pass it up. 

Thanks in advance!!

IMG_0247838 (5).jpg

IMG_0247838 (6).jpg

IMG_0247838 (13).jpg

IMG_0247838 (14).jpg

IMG_0247838 (8).jpg

IMG_0247838 (12).jpg

IMG_0247838 (7).jpg

IMG_0247838 (10).jpg

• Member Contributer

Very nice! Probably selling it for what he told her he paid!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
41 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I found an 86 VF1000R for sale out of state. The woman says it was her husband's, and she kept the bike in a divorce. It has 29,000 miles and she is asking $2,000 including shipping from Kentucky, and even offered to pay return shipping if I dont like the bike (within 7 days of receipt). The bike looks pristine and she says its been professionally maintained and stored. She also says that Amazon.com will handle the shipping and invoicing and guarantee the shipment and return. 

Classic words of a scam.  I would be very cautious.

Been here, done this.  Pristine R6 for sale, some well known 3rd party to handle finance/bike transaction.  When I kept pressing to come view the bike and maybe test ride, the 'deal' began to fall apart.  If it sounds too good ...

If you're within a few hours of bike, press for view/ride ...

ACE

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys. Does sound exactly like the scenarios you noted. Definitely seemed too good to be true.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
Been here, done this.  Pristine R6 for sale, some well known 3rd party to handle finance/bike transaction.  When I kept pressing to come view the bike and maybe test ride, the 'deal' began to fall apart.  If it sounds too good ...

If you're within a few hours of bike, press for view/ride ...

ACE

Supposedly lives in Kentucky, but bike is at Amazon facility in Nebraska awaiting shipment... The plot thickens.
I'm gonna play along and stop short of giving any personal details, or money.
Thanks again guys.

You should post the address so that we can spam this individual so that they're too busy to scam anyone else and then report them to the authorities...

• Member Contributer

It was a scam. I found the real owner on ebay. He's asking $4900. All his photos were copied. Also found that this person did this with a BMW in November. Found the same emails on a BMW site. Crazy stuff. I notified Amazon, the real owner, and cycletrader. The ad has been taken down. Live and learn. : /

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, CodeRed said:

It was a scam. I found the real owner on ebay. He's asking $4900. All his photos were copied. Also found that this person did this with a BMW in November. Found the same emails on a BMW site. Crazy stuff. I notified Amazon, the real owner, and cycletrader. The ad has been taken down. Live and learn. : /

$4900 is a tad high but not unreasonable if you want a 1KR and you found a legitimate deal. Bike looks like it's worth about that.

• 8 months later...

Really?? a tad high? ,find me another one that nice I’ll pay double that ,,I looked for over two years and all of them had issues or were rusted beaters! The mint stock exhast is worth a grand!

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, KAWGRN said:

Really?? a tad high? ,find me another one that nice I’ll pay double that ,,I looked for over two years and all of them had issues or were rusted beaters! The mint stock exhast is worth a grand!

There is a guy on the WERA forum selling a pristine 1986 VF1000R for $6k or thereabouts. He seems to have been a serious collector, but is selling off his collection of 100 bikes.

Archived