Man I really am loving this bike

rckrzy1

I ride to work every chance I get , I just can't get enough of this bike. I think it has alot to due with the mistake of buying the honda CTX1300 , I got to the point I dreaded riding it and when it was totaled I was happy to find something more me. And the VFR800 is ME. Not slow , not too fast , not heavy, sounds great with a nice pipe. Makes power down low.

I get looks from little HS girls on the way home who can't see my grey hair under the helmet LOL .  Just a blast to ride. Can't wait to head to Top of the Rockies rally in Peonia CO next month.

• Member Contributer

Yeah I'm really loving mine too!   For a bike that came out in 2014 it still LOOKS like the latest greatest high-tech supersport with its LED lights, fancy wheels and swoopy fairings - the chicks (and biker bros) definitely dig it and it sounds wicked with just a slip-on.  To my eyes it looks just as good if not better than the all new $20K 2017 CBR1000RR SP.  And even though it looks like a SuperSport it doesn't treat your back like one and the insurance companies don't rate it like one.  It's got legendary DNA (see vid below) and to top it off it's a hoot to ride!  Only thing I wish it had is a slipper-clutch and maybe an extra 20 hp.

I didn't know much about your old CTX1300 until I just looked it up on Honda's website (link below) to see what it was all about.  I don't think I've ever seen one in person.  Interesting to see that it has a V4 - looks pretty nice but at almost 200 pounds heavier than the VFR and cruiser seating position I'm guessing it was a totally different riding experience compared to your VFR

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/ctx1300.aspx

14 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Yeah I'm really loving mine too!   For a bike that came out in 2014 it still LOOKS like the latest greatest high-tech supersport with its LED lights, fancy wheels and swoopy fairings - the chicks (and biker bros) definitely dig it and it sounds wicked with just a slip-on.  To my eyes it looks just as good if not better than the all new $20K 2017 CBR1000RR.  And even though it looks like a SuperSport it doesn't treat your back like one and the insurance companies don't rate it like one.  It's got legendary DNA (see vid below) and to top it off it's a hoot to ride!  Only thing I wish it had is a slipper-clutch and maybe an extra 20 hp.

I didn't know much about your old CTX1300 until I just looked it up on Honda's website (link below) to see what it was all about.  I don't think I've ever seen one in person.  Interesting to see that it has a V4 - looks pretty nice but at almost 200 pounds heavier than the VFR and cruiser seating position I'm guessing it was a totally different riding experience compared to your VFR

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/ctx1300.aspx

I had no intention of buying the CTX but it was marked down from 15,999 to 7,999 and I did not get a test ride, that was a mistake, it weighed 725 and I dropped it twice in 2 weeks not ever having such a heavy bike. And I tried to keep up with my buddy on Triumph tiger in hill country and was dragging pegs HARD, The bike could not lean near as much as I was used to, I came from a triumph street triple R, speed triple nakes etc. Finally a double S I entered too fast and dragged hard parts and lifted rear off and off the road I went, all was ok till wheels caught in the dirt and high sided off the bike backwards with my back bending the handle bars. Took the wind out of me for a bit. Bike then went end over end , luckily not on me.

The V4 in it is the same as the st1300 but "de tuned" for lower torque. It was a good motor, just needed a 6th gear as that big V4 at 5K doing 70 sounded like it was wanting a another gear.

So I test road a demo 2015 deluxe and said YES, this is for me. I know the GM at local DFW Honda as they normally do not loan out sport bikes. But I needed a test ride. And took the bike for a few hours and a hundred miles.

• Member Contributer

Why do you think a slipper clutch is needed ?

34 minutes ago, crakerjac said:

I wish I could slap those plastics and headlight on my 1200...

Head lights work great EXCEPT in a turn with lean , they shine up and down too much, their horizontal plane is too narrow IMO . My CTX had the same led's and yes they are bright but I added fogs to that pig to help on dark roads. But I aint got no place really on this narrow bike to add lights.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Why do you think a slipper clutch is needed ?

I don't think it's "needed" but I do "wish" it had one.  My learner bike (2013 Ninja 300) had one so I got used to having it.  When I first started riding my VFR I had a few instances early on where the rear wheel chirped when downshifting because I previously never had to worry much about blipping the throttle, etc.  I've since adapted my riding to not having a slipper clutch by rev matching, etc, but I think for the VFR's MSRP and the sporting intentions of the bike (see video ad I posted above) Honda should have been nice and included one.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, NZCam said:

I think the best review still has to be this one!

LOL - that might just be the best review of ANY motorcycle EVER.  "VFR800 bitches":tongue:

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, rckrzy1 said:

I had no intention of buying the CTX but it was marked down from 15,999 to 7,999 and I did not get a test ride, that was a mistake, it weighed 725 and I dropped it twice in 2 weeks not ever having such a heavy bike. And I tried to keep up with my buddy on Triumph tiger in hill country and was dragging pegs HARD, The bike could not lean near as much as I was used to, I came from a triumph street triple R, speed triple nakes etc. Finally a double S I entered too fast and dragged hard parts and lifted rear off and off the road I went, all was ok till wheels caught in the dirt and high sided off the bike backwards with my back bending the handle bars. Took the wind out of me for a bit. Bike then went end over end , luckily not on me.

The V4 in it is the same as the st1300 but "de tuned" for lower torque. It was a good motor, just needed a 6th gear as that big V4 at 5K doing 70 sounded like it was wanting a another gear.

So I test road a demo 2015 deluxe and said YES, this is for me. I know the GM at local DFW Honda as they normally do not loan out sport bikes. But I needed a test ride. And took the bike for a few hours and a hundred miles.

Wow, you're very lucky to have not been more seriously injured!  Sounds like the VFR is much more suited to your style of riding.

15 hours ago, NZCam said:

I think the best review still has to be this one!

1 hour ago, GatorGreg said:

LOL - that might just be the best review of ANY motorcycle EVER.  "VFR800 bitches":tongue:

Smashed crab!!! hahaha 

20 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Wow, you're very lucky to have not been more seriously injured!  Sounds like the VFR is much more suited to your style of riding.

Good helmet that took a hit , good joe rocket jacket , and kevlar reinforced pants with knee pads and boots. My boots got tore up as well. When I ride I do the most

possible to avoid injury. Just kills me to see squids riding in shorts , flip flops and Hair helmets.

The more I ride the VFR, the more I love it.  Test drove a BMW R1200RS recently, lovely bike but the Honda was more involving.  Just done nearly 1500 miles in a week around Scotland, VFR was lovely, why o why is this not a bigger seller? It has character, it is fast enough, needs to be rev'd to keep up with the big boys but it will take it, handles well - get some decent tires on it (Metzeler Roadtec 01's) takes luggage well. Good fuel consumption (UK Gallons - not your US short measure). Why does Honda not promote this bike more?  More profit on the other stuff? 

Just love the bike.......

DSC_5350.JPG

DSC_5302.JPG

Lack of promotion is probably part of the problem. The US market is another, but worldwide, I think it should be good. I like to think I keep up with sportbike industry news, but the first time I'd ever heard of this bike was walking into a dealership and seeing the bike at leftover pricing back between the CBs and CBRs.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

Lack of promotion is probably part of the problem. The US market is another, but worldwide, I think it should be good. I like to think I keep up with sportbike industry news, but the first time I'd ever heard of this bike was walking into a dealership and seeing the bike at leftover pricing back between the CBs and CBRs.

Same here, I first learned of it when I saw a white one at a dealer in early 2016 - love at first sight.  Not only was it not promoted in the USA, my understanding is that Honda did not even plan to release the 8th gen in the USA.  The '09 was the last model year for the 6th gen here even though it was still being offered overseas and when the 8th gen made its international debut at the 2013 EICMA show in Milan there were no plans to sell it in the USA.

Motorcycle.com said:  "Apparently, Honda has no plans to import the new VFR800F stateside."

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/11/04/motorcycle-news/eicma-2013-2014-honda-vfr800f/

Rideapart said:  "The 2014 Honda VFR800F is not slated for a U.S. release."

https://rideapart.com/articles/2014-honda-vfr800f-photos

It wasn't until February 4, 2014 that American Honda finally announced they were gonna add it to their product offerings for the USA:  "More New Models Top Off Honda's 2014 Lineup"

http://powersports.honda.com/OFFERS.ASPX/PRESS/7569-EN/2014/02/04/support.aspx

As motorcycle.com put it:  "We’ll admit, we weren’t confident Honda would import the VFR800F to these shores when it was first announced at last fall's EICMA show in Milan. As such, we are pleased to report American Honda is bringing back the V-4 sport-tourer to the U.S. market as the Honda Interceptor."

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/02/04/manufacturers/honda/vfr800f-coming-us-2014-honda-interceptor/

Besides the initial motorcycle press ride reviews that came out that summer, I've never seen any promotion of the Interceptor here in the USA besides the little video they put out on their website (which I embedded in my first post in this thread above).  I'm not exactly sure when it came out but it talks about the "2015" Interceptor and has a 2015 copyright date at the end of it.  So even that video was clearly just an afterthought.

In hindsight, I would have recommended Honda offer a Repsol edition of the Interceptor to help promote the bike in commercials and at various motorcycle shows.  A Repsol edition would have helped to highlight the fact that the Interceptor does have some racing DNA and a V4 engine like their championship winning MotoGP bikes.  And yes, I know - totally different bike and engines, blah blah blah - but hey, it's still a freakin V4.  If they offered a Repsol edition of the single cylinder CBR 250R then there's no reason they couldn't have also justified making a Repsol Interceptor :tongue:

• Member Contributer

They don't make any more effort in England, I was looking for a sportsbike with enough generator output to run a heated jacket, when the VFR I now own was parked next to a bunch of Pata CBR's in the show room ...tried it for size, loved it, paid the deposit there and then, never looked back

In hindsight, I would have recommended Honda offer a Repsol edition of the Interceptor to help promote the bike in commercials and at various motorcycle shows.  A Repsol edition would have helped to highlight the fact that the Interceptor does have some racing DNA and a V4 engine like their championship winning MotoGP bikes.  And yes, I know - totally different bike and engines, blah blah blah - but hey, it's still a freakin V4.  If they offered a Repsol edition of the single cylinder CBR 250R then there's no reason they couldn't have also justified making a Repsol Interceptor tongue.png

Or a Castrol :drool:. I'm thinking of having some fun with Plastidip for Independence Day, if I can get around to it. Maybe a 'Merica bike will turn some heads.

• Member Contributer

I would lay low on the Repsol.... MM crashed how many times last weekend? 4? 5?

HRC rwb ok, but a Murrica theme? Has Japan now been annexed officially? :-)

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Without spoiling the results for those who still want to watch it, I think we could both agree that the Repsol team (including both MM and Pedrosa) ended up in a pretty good spot after this past weekend's race at Catalunya :wink:  I would love to see a RWB edition of the 8th gen as well - the '08 RWB is a great looking bike!

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

I'd like to do a Halloween and Christmas theme as well at those times.

Hmmm...I seem to remember some weird dude on this forum decorated their bike like that last year :tongue:

IMG_2138.PNG

IMG_2139.PNG

• Member Contributer

Haha, he did....x5 but made good on the day! From what I'm hearing he's fighting the bike just to make it go forward? Pity.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Archived