Headshake - damper needed?

bighawk

It's been a very very long time since I felt a headshake on a bike.  The last time was a decade ago on my ZX6R- Ohlins damper purchased and problem solved.

A couple days ago I was passing a truck on the throttle and out of nowhere i felt strong head shake that felt almost like it would progress into a full tank slapper, backed off slowly and the issue went away but the experience had me questioning the stability of the bike. I was probably going around 80 to 90 passing, hard but not too hard and completely steady on the throttle and bike.  The weather was windy; however, it was still disconcerting to say the least.

I plan on taking the bike to the track in a couple months so I'm wondering if any one else has experienced this and made any adjustments or purchased a stablizer.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've had shake a couple times. Latest, a mild lean, cooking through a sweeper. Turned out, my tires were in the 28 psi range. I stick to 32/34. Don't know if that was the problem, but can't blame the bike for poor maintenance. I'll chalk it up to my own laziness, and hope for the best. 

That said, it's not the only time. Typically, just like your situation. Getting on the highway, navigating to the left at speed, and when I straighten out, once in a while it gets disruptive. I'm trying to check pressures more often.. Stabilizer would be nice reassurance.

• Member Contributer

Have a good look at your wheel balance. I rode a mates CB1000 a couple of years ago that had a terrible steering oscillating effect at around 80kph, it was the wheel/tyre balance. Maybe you've thrown a balance weight and this could be causing your issue.

I'm sure many others will agree the 8th gen has excellent steering stability, so I doubt it's an inherent bike issue.

Cheers.

It can be unevenly worn tyres, espescially the front, but not exclusively, or even incorrect tyre pressures.

It could be from out of balance wheels (but I doubt it). This normally gives shuddering or a chattering effect, up and down, not side to side.

It can be poor suspension adjustment.

It can be overloaded sidebags and topcases (+poorly adjusted suspension).

It can be poorly torqued steering head bearings or just severely worn ones.

It could happen if you have lowered the front (raised the forks in the triples) too far.

A VFR does NOT need a steering damper if everything is in shape. Not even at the track

When you get on the gas the front lifts and the rear compresses, this lightens the steering at the front and makes it susceptible to head shake or tank slappers at teh worst. Side to side oscillation. If your preload in the rear shock is not set hard enough (and the rebound screw also), AND/OR you happen to be fully loaded with saddlebags, topcase and/or pillion passenger... you need to bunk up the rear preload somehwat or ideally set your sag accordingly for the extra weight.

Plenty of vids on youtube showing how to set sag. The only thing I add to those vids is, if you are not carrying any extra weight up back and always ride solo and in order to get proper sag reading you end up needing to increase rear preload, it really makes a difference if you give the rebound damping screw at the bottom of the shock about a quarter to half turn clockwise (depending on whether you neede a little or a lot more preload to reach correct sag). If you do put a reasonably heavy load on the back, bac that screw off because that load is kind of doing the job for you and it could result in too harsh a ride with both.

• Member Contributer

If you were on a steady throttle and not jumping about, then it wouldn't be the bike it would have been something the wheels tracked over no need for a damper.

I'll get a little shake once in a while after shifting 1-2 while not straight up, but that's just the wheel hopping a little, I think. This bike is very stable, I can't imagine it needing a damper with the stock rake.

Thanks everyone. I should mention it's a new bike. Just put on about 700 miles.
 I'll check all the suggestions above - really do appreciate the advise.

• Member Contributer

There's no way the 8th gen needs a steering damper, I had a new LSL unit left and could easily have fitted that but a 135 mph sweeping downhill bend in a strong cross wind never affected the handling

The OPs post was more than likely turbulence, which no amount of steering damper is going to cure

Archived